Have you been knocked OFF in a collision while cycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

After learning to ride, have you been in a collision while cycling? (choose 1st one that applies)

Poll ended at 12 Nov 2014, 9:17am

Yes, shared fault with motorist
1%
Yes, came off, motorist fault
58%
Yes, came off, other road user fault
7%
Yes, came off, my fault
8%
Yes, but I didn't come off the bike
9%
No, no collision as far as I can recall
13%
Other / it's complicated (explain below...)
5%

Total votes: 88

tykeboy2003

My incident

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I was cycling along on a main road when a car came out of the side-road to my left and hit me on my left hip, pushing me out towards the centre of the road and buckling my rear wheel beyond repair. Luckily there was no traffic coming the other way, otherwise I could have been hit again. This was 4 years ago, it was Easter time and was in broad daylight, sunny and dry conditions. This is the only time a collision has resulted in me parting company with the bike.
gplhl

Have you been knocked OFF in a collision while cycling?

Post by gplhl »

Twice, but not in the UK, once in Barcelona, a lady on a moped pulled out in front of me from behind a tree. Once in Kenya riding on the hard shoulder or pull off section by Mount Kenya, i.e. I wasn't even cycling on the road!, car came off the road and hit me. Both times I managed to keep bike up but both times panniers flew off!!

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk
mjr

Re: Have you been knocked OFF in a collision while cycling?

Post by mjr »

So that's "Yes, but I didn't come off the bike" for Gary. Only a few days to go and it does look like more than half have come off... :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.