Navdy

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jochta

Navdy

Post by jochta »

This scares me...

https://www.navdy.com/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/14/heads- ... irst-week/

There's no way drivers can't possibly be distracted reading your texts/tweets whilst driving even if they are projected in front of you. They'll be looking straight through the pedestrians and cyclists. Just watch the guys eyes in their own promo video and where he's looking.

Comparison to pilots is stupid, they aren't reading their tweets whilst landing their plane.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Navdy

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pilots us jet engines too, doesn't mean they're a good idea in a car...

And their heads up displays are used for things like altitude, pitch, airspeed... You know - controlling the aircraft...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I saw this somewhere the other day and nearly posted, I can't believe anyone anywhere would think it's a good idea for social networking, texts etc. I can see some justification for things that you might already have to look at in the car, like the speedo, maybe basic sat nav, not much else.
jochta

Post by jochta »

My biggest concern is that it gives the message that it's OK to text and drive. The message should be it is NEVER safe to text and drive regardless of the technology used. Can you imagine this device in the hands of a teenage driver who is sending and receiving hundreds of texts an hour? The developers of this device are utterly irresponsible IMO and I hope it's illegal to use on UK roads.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think it is more about the content being displayed than the display itself. Display speed, directions, etc. and the drivers mind/attention stays on driving. Display Twerps, e-mails, etc. and your attention drifts to wondering if you can make the meeting next tuesday and you start wanting to look at your calendar and reply, etc. and ... oh dear!

Ian
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I might as well sell my bikes lights for all the good they're gonna do.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Another amazing opportunity for even more distracted drivers, the navigation HUD is one thing, adding functions opens the floodgates.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

There's an article here about it.. http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/m ... id/1297802
These need to be illegal in this country..another disgusting implement that will make driving stds worse and cause more incidents.. :twisted:
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Plain crazy!

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Bloody mad!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tonyf33 wrote:There's an article here about it.. http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/m ... id/1297802
These need to be illegal in this country..another disgusting implement that will make driving stds worse and cause more incidents.. :twisted:

+1
Society gets dafter by the minute it seems.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I really can't see the point. Even my creaky old Sat nav gives clear and timely voice commands, so why the need to have a screen whacked up in your line of sight? Unless you're deaf, where's the benefit?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I really can't see the point. Even my creaky old Sat nav gives clear and timely voice commands, so why the need to have a screen whacked up in your line of sight? Unless you're deaf, where's the benefit?

But does your satnav show you incoming Twerps and the attached photos of their dog pulling a funny face or their child doing something weird ... And then having read that Twerp, does you satnav encourage you to completely take your eyes and concentration off the road whilst you type in some inane response ?

Ian