A warm dry winter?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GrumpyGit

A warm dry winter?

Post by GrumpyGit »

If I'm going to make it to Brighton next spring I shall have to keep riding through anything the winter can throw at us.

In preparation I've just bought a pair of studded tyres for my mountain bike as it is my "weapon of choice" for filthy conditions. My hybrid remains set up for relatively benign roads.

Working on the principle that it never rains when you're carrying an umbrella I'm expecting a very mild winter this year! :D
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
c53204

Re: A warm dry winter?

Post by c53204 »

I live in Scotland and after two successive winters with a lot of snow, I bought a mini snow cutter. Hasn't snowed since.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

GrumpyGit wrote:Working on the principle that it never rains when you're carrying an umbrella I'm expecting a very mild winter this year! :D

Didn't the Met Office give-up doing long range forecasts - as they always turned out so wrong and they were "suffering criticism".

Ian
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

c53204 wrote:I live in Scotland and after two successive winters with a lot of snow, I bought a mini snow cutter. Hasn't snowed since.

I think we might be onto something here, if everybody joins in we could be enjoying tropical conditions in February (and then I woke up)!! :lol:
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
gaz

Post by gaz »

My studded tyres came off in March, the predicted blizzards failed to follow.

Mid November to December with a bit of luck before I'll feel the need to fit them again.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
karlt

Post by karlt »

Psamathe wrote:
GrumpyGit wrote:Working on the principle that it never rains when you're carrying an umbrella I'm expecting a very mild winter this year! :D

Didn't the Met Office give-up doing long range forecasts - as they always turned out so wrong and they were "suffering criticism".

Ian

No. They stopped because the accuracy, although published, wasn't taken into account by people when using the long range forecasts. They weren't "always wrong"; they were as accurate as they were claimed to be, which is not particularly.

This is an area where tabloids annoy me, especially the Express. It gets long range weather predictions from cranks and flakes like Vantage Weather Solutions, claims they're from "experts", lets the public think that means the Met. office, and then everyone blames the Met. when the crank, not surprisingly, turns out to have been talking out of his backside. About this time last year the Express was running a "coldest winter for a century" story - and we had no snow. They got this prediction from the above mentioned crank, not the Met.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

karlt wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

No. They stopped because the accuracy, although published, wasn't taken into account by people when using the long range forecasts. They weren't "always wrong"; they were as accurate as they were claimed to be, which is not particularly.

I expect they still do them, but don't publish them. But there was so little predictive power in their forecasts that they are really only of interest to scientists and highly technical statisticians who understand what it means that a forecast is 10%-20% than climatology.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Most of the main models are showing intermittent Northern blocking December into January.

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what that means!
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Hadrian's Wall will be reconstructed in Lego around the Christmas period?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pete75

Post by pete75 »

karlt wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Any prediction which is not very accurate will mostly be wrong.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Most of the main models are showing intermittent Northern blocking December into January.

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what that means!

Northern blocking either means that we'll have a blocking system in the north, dragging down arctic winds, or that the jet stream will block the north meaning we get lots of wet atlantic weather...

Hmm - no idea...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Most of the main models are showing intermittent Northern blocking December into January.

In winter, colder weather.

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pete75 wrote:
karlt wrote:No. They stopped because the accuracy, although published, wasn't taken into account by people when using the long range forecasts. They weren't "always wrong"; they were as accurate as they were claimed to be, which is not particularly.

Any prediction which is not very accurate will mostly be wrong.

A prediction that shows (say) 30% probability of x; 70% probability of y may be completely accurate. The trouble most people have is that it is not precise.

Four different expectations of a measurement or a prediction:
Precise = To what level of detail. Can I rely on this e.g. to know whether to wear waterproofs today?
Accurate = Actually reflecting what is happening/the probability of what will happen
Reproducable = Next time the measurement/prediction is made, will it say the same thing?
Reliable = Is it easilly broken (as an instrument or a forecasting model)?

Most people want to know whether to stock up on fuel, clothing, food; whether to plan to go somewhere else... Then the weather is dominated by the 30% probability instead (at least when they have leisure). Because probabilities are just that, a low probability event can occur without making the forecast inaccurate.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The BBC website doesn't even match the current weather. Took a risk of it staying dry versus the wet all day forecast and luckily it did. I should have however paid attention to the wind which was fairly strong and in my face for the first half, with some benefit on the second half though.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

AlaninWales wrote:A prediction that shows (say) 30% probability of x; 70% probability of y may be completely accurate.

But you can only know if it is accurate if, over a long period, the things you say will turn up 30% of the time do indeed turn up 30% of the time.

To say a forecast is 10% better than climatology means that in comparing the specific forecast and the alternative "climatological" forecast that average conditions will prevail, the specific forecast is on average better 55% of the time (ie 10% more than the 45% that "climatology" was better). Clearly this only makes sense in relation to a forecast for an extended period such as a month. To tell a forecaster his forecast is only as good as climatology is to say that it is in effect worthless.

Forecasts like 30% of x, 70% of y, if accurate, are very useful for insurance companies, traders and the like, who can deal with short term uncertainty and long term averages, it's their job. Normal people, as you say, like certainty, which can rarely be given. Days like yesterday, where there unforecast heavy downpours in the SE - at least not forecast the previous evening - have become rarer.

I think we were a bit lucky last winter. The blocking formations that have given us the cold snaps in many recent winters all happened over the America and Asia, not Europe, and they got all the cold. The state of the North Atlantic Oscillation,* which tends to get stuck for periods of a decade or two, and flipped a few years back, means blocking formations are more likely in winter in the north. We are stuck with this risk of colder winters for some time to come. Then it will flip back and there will be few cold winters for a decade or so.

*Even this is a bit statistically troublesome. The NAO is often described as varying over the course of a couple of weeks or so. But it is its annual average that seems to flip between a high state and a low state with a frequency that is around decadal or so. Even that is hard to describe, sometimes it has stayed one side for 30 years or so. And who are we to say that what happened in the past will continue in the future. What use are a mere hundred years of good weather records (though we have other methods of looking further back, though those tend to be disputed) when looking at things that can persist for 30 years?