Graduating from "feet forward" to "Off the peg"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dunnroamin

Post by Dunnroamin »

In previous posts of mine, I have bemoaned the fact that because of my short, fat, hairy femurs made worse by age related wear and tear, I had been forced to import from Holland, what is known as a "feet forward" bike. A Sunny Comfort to be precise. It has been totally successful in enabling me to get riding again, to get the physical workout and cardiovascular exercise I was so urgently in need of. The downside to riding the Dutch bike was the weight (built like a tank), and the greater muscle power, because of the forward position of the pedals, needed to reach stability speed. For comfort, I had fitted a Brooks B33 saddle, and replaced the three speed Shimano hub with an eight speed hub. These two improvements (and they were improvements) increased the weight even more, so much so, that I couldn't lift the bike onto my Thule towbar carrier without considerable exertion, but then, I am pushing 80. Anyway, as a result of these "difficulties", I resolved to get my leg muscles and knee joints sufficiently rejuvenated that I could, maybe, contemplate investing in an "off the peg" bike once again. My problem was, what to go for. 700cc wheels (what were once called 28", I think) were out, they were too large, and I had read somewhere that people with short legs, like mine, shouldn't think about any wheels larger than 26". As for frame size, my 26+ inch inside leg seems to sit right on the border between a 16" and a 17" frame. I decided to look for a bike that had a frame size of 16 inches, and 26" wheels. This proved to more difficult than I had expected, but, eventually, not wishing to overstay my welcome at Halford's by trying out endless bikes but not buying any, I decided to take a chance and gamble £260 on a Raleigh Caprice. It has a lightweight alloy 16" frame and 26" wheels, with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gears. All I have done, by way of modification so far, is to fit my Brooks B33 saddle using a swan neck seat post to gain a little extra leg stretch. It was a little painful on the knees to start with but, like they say, "no gain without pain". Because the bike is so much lighter than the FF, it much easier to pedal. The only slight problem is - the 3 speed gears, compared to the Shimano with its eight gears, I find even the top gear on the SA a bit too low, especially when there is a slight decline in the road, that's when my feet are spinning as if I were still in first gear. I'm not quite sure what to do about the Dutch bike, whether to see if there is someone out there with the same problem I originally had, or keep it garaged up in case I start to further deteriorate. If any CTC forumers do know of an organisation or some other outfit which might be interested in doing a deal with, what is still, an excellent machine in pristine condition, maybe they will let me know. Thanks. D. :D
Grandad

Re: Graduating from "feet forward" to "Off the peg"

Post by Grandad »

We had a tandem with a 3 speed SA hub and I added a 5 speed derailleur to it. I don't know whether the necessary sprockets that fit the hub gear are still obtainable, probably not new but perhaps e-bay or even made to order.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Grandad wrote:We had a tandem with a 3 speed SA hub and I added a 5 speed derailleur to it. I don't know whether the necessary sprockets that fit the hub gear are still obtainable, probably not new but perhaps e-bay or even made to order.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/ ... id/58.html In production and compatible with standard cassettes.

Other options are a 5 or 8 speed hub gear or simply a larger chainring if the OP could cope with a higher lowest gear.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

D I am impressed you are 'pushing' 80 and still keen on keeping fit. You deserve respect and put people half your age to shame. Well done. If you need to move your older bikes along you could consider eBay. I'm no techno kid but I've managed to sell a couple of bikes and canoes quite easily. You could put a minim asking price down or just go for the 99p option and see where the auctioning madness takes you. You can choose 'pick up only' so you don't have to worry about boxing up your bike. Best of luck...hc
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/ ... id/58.html In production and compatible with standard cassettes.

The sprockets that I had fitted as a replacement for the standard single on the ordinary hub gear. Dredging further into the memory it was 2 or 3 sprockets plus a double chainset