Modern bikes is ugly, innit

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Audax67

Re: Modern bikes is ugly, innit

Post by Audax67 »

Mick F wrote:It the fashion for black that gets up my nose. Even cycle clothing is fashionable black.
Components are black, and frames are often black, or coloured to compensate for the black.

It's mourning. Advance planning for one's own funeral. Sorry, officer, couldn't see him.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Not a fan then...?

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

easyroller wrote:Not a fan then...?
No.
It's got Shimano on it. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote:It the fashion for black that gets up my nose. Even cycle clothing is fashionable black.
Components are black, and frames are often black, or coloured to compensate for the black.

I think part of the reason people like black clothing is that it doesn't show up the inevitable dabs of grease, chain oil or mud stains/road dirt that never quite comes out if you're wearing yellow, white, pastel blue whatever..

But I'm not a fan either - I prefer the bright stuff. I've got some bright green bibshorts (not Cannondale but similar colour) - love 'em!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Also black stuff can just have shorts and a shirt added and looks OK - whereas glimpses of primary colours (peeking out or just showing through) doesn't...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

I don't like black bikes either.
Last October I treated myself to a new carbon bike (sorry if this offends anyone, but tuff, it's my sunny day bike)
My choice was influenced by colour- I got a nice red Trek Madone 3.5
I could have got last years model instead at a discounted price, but it wasn't red
and everyone knows red bikes are faster.....
Mark
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You lot are suffering from fashion or maybe a lack of it :wink: .
I quite like the look of black components,quite like the look of some carbon weave on frames(I'd never buy one though).
I also like the look of some 'bulbous' tubing.
Dislike lugs,dislike ornate lugs even more,but can appreciate the workmanship needed to make a frame with them.
What's right is in the mind and nowhere else......
BTW,I like the look of Jays and Crows(especially the way the light shines off their wings) and the iridescend green of a Magpie's plumage.
Look a little deeper,there's something in everything..... ......even a Brompton :shock: .......maybe :?

PS,I'd never wear all black whilst riding
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nice-looking modern bike
Nice-looking modern bike
There you go - that'll make you feel better...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mik1138

Post by mik1138 »

Psamathe wrote:I like black bikes.

Ian

What he said

Black is the new Black
mik1138

Post by mik1138 »

Ben@Forest wrote:

I think part of the reason people like black clothing is that it doesn't show up the inevitable dabs of grease, chain oil or mud stains/road dirt that never quite comes out if you're wearing yellow, white, pastel blue whatever..

But I'm not a fan either - I prefer the bright stuff. I've got some bright green bibshorts (not Cannondale but similar colour) - love 'em!

Black Shorts with colour/reflective detailing, but Jerseys have to be bright, Got a Lime Green, Yellow and Pik and a Red and White
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

The thing I dislike about modern bikes is not the colour, though it is rather drab seeing so many black bikes, but the pig ugliness of modern chainrings. I'm a fine one to talk as I have a Shimano XT triple on my Mercian. It's wonderful to use and I won't replace it with anything more beautiful until it dies of natural causes, but it's as ugly as sin.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Mick F wrote:This one's quite nice.
(but it needs pedals)
Note the silver rims and components.
img1.jpg

Has Shand ever made an ugly bike? They've always looked gorgeous to me. The Stoater Rohloff looks, at a quick glance, like a perfect bike for me.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My attitude towards bikes has generally been practical.

My first commuter ended up with one black and one silver crank - it still did when I took it to pieces earlier this year.

However I've just been bringing a 1975 Dawes galaxy into working order, and found myself being picky over the colour of the chain. The again I reckon that with chromed stays a bronze/black chain would have looked wrong (let alone a pink one).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Black shorts/legggings 'go' with any colour of top. Handy if you care about that sort of thing. And don't show marks from lubricant etc. if the chain ends up leaning against your leg when you stop, or lock it up.
Black also makes legs/behinds look slimmer, for those of us with 'chunkier' builds. :mrgreen:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

[XAP]Bob wrote:My attitude towards bikes has generally been practical.

My first commuter ended up with one black and one silver crank - it still did when I took it to pieces earlier this year.

However I've just been bringing a 1975 Dawes galaxy into working order, and found myself being picky over the colour of the chain. The again I reckon that with chromed stays a bronze/black chain would have looked wrong (let alone a pink one).

A pink chain? Urghhhh.