Modern bikes is ugly, innit

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
axel_knutt

Re: Modern bikes is ugly, innit

Post by axel_knutt »

It's threadless stems that stick in my craw, they make Heath Robinsons handiwork look like craftsmanship. Suspension frames are ugly too, but as I don't ride an MTB I don't much care.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I like black bikes.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't mind what colour they are. Different people like different colours, and that's fine with me. I don't mind carbon, either. Some of the fancy road bikes that populate international races look very nice to me. But I have to admit that I don't like newer suspension frames. I might change my mind when they been around for a while, but for now, I think they're ugly.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

foxyrider wrote:Best way to stop the crap colours is not to buy them, complain to the Man's otherwise they just claim its 'customer demand' init!

The tyre issue is, i'm told, due to the black being affected less by UV than white/skinwall (it'll be cheaper too no doubt!)

When I got my bike, it was either that one or a custom-built frame. Most frame makers don't make frames with grown-up size wheels that are small enough for me; even Ridley don't make that one any more. My choice was grey or grey.
Si

Post by Si »

when I got my road frame built I asked a well known West Midlands bike shop owner to do it in yellow and chrome.....he nearly had a fit...went on about how you just can't sell yellow or white bikes and that they should be banned....bikes should be proper colours like deep red, dark green, black, brown, etc.

How times change.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

My MTB is steel, with thin (ish) tubes, so I think it looks ace, even though it's black. My wife's MTB is also steel but that's even better because it's yellow.

The Genesis bikes in this month's Cycle magazine looked decent, even in 29er version, whereas the alternatives (in the sidebox - a Whyte and Trek, IIRC) were ugly with thicker and bendier tubes.

I don't mind some of the aero carbon road bikes. They can look pretty swish. I'd still buy a slim-tube version, though.

I prefer slimmer tubes because they look clean, the same reason why I prefer the look of singlespeed/fixed or hub gears over derailleur.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This one's quite nice.
(but it needs pedals)
Note the silver rims and components.
img1.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

(but it needs pedals)

and mudguards :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well, don't ride it in the rain then! :wink:

My 'guards aren't on yet, but when this wonderful weather changes next week(?) and we leave this dry autumnal weather and enter the pre-winter wetness, my 'guards will go on.

The thing is, some folk never use mudguards, so how do they get on?
Mick F. Cornwall
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Not such a pretty sight when seen on a lycra jersey. Cafe proprietors are not usually very impressed!
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I actually like fat frames but I don't like the whole grey and dark thing. I like a bike to be colourful.
I bought my road bike largely because I couldn't choose between a few and this one looked best to me, as it was colourful.

However when it came to my Hybrid which I wanted colourful as I will be riding it a lot at night I couldn't get one, had to settle for grey. I've added lots of reflective bits though. Including reflective walled marathon tyres as well now.

Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Mick F wrote:This one's quite nice.
(but it needs pedals)
img1.jpg

Where's the bottle cages? And it has black tyres.....:-(
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

SteveHunter wrote:

There's a nice bike struggling to get out from under there. If only we knew what make and model it was :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:
Mick F wrote:This one's quite nice.
(but it needs pedals)
The attachment img1.jpg is no longer available

Where's the bottle cages? And it has black tyres.....:-(

Is this one better?
Bike.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Much better. It looks more complete with mudguards which will keep melted tar from being thrown onto your frame.