commute distance, folder or road bike?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Merry_Wanderer

Re: commute distance, folder or road bike?

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I'd suggest sticking with your folder for now until you have considered what 'full-size' bike you want to buy.

I cycle commute 4.5 miles on a 6 speed Brompton folding bike then catch a train and cycle 0.5 miles to work in Nottingham. My incentives are that the journey by car is at 'normal' commuting times, horrendous and would take me longer than it does by bike. That and I am much fitter than I was even 2 months ago when I started commuting 3-4 times per week, instead of the 1-2 times a week previously. I have also noticed that without trying my times for the commute have fallen by 3 or 4 minutes on average.

I will be doing the commute on my 'big' bike for part of the winter (just to see what difference it will make) but I do love the Brompton for the ease of storing under my desk, getting on the train and occasionally using to visit other offices.

Enjoy your commute and keep us updated :-)
Wuttichai_Choomuang

Post by Wuttichai_Choomuang »

I also use commuter to work 25 Km everyday. However, looking for road bike for new riding experience
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Another vote for sticking with the folder you have. If you build up your commute distance gradually it'll give you a good idea of what you want in a full sized bike, and you can bide your time looking for the right one.

You haven't said what type of folder or the wheel size, but since your journey is mainly flat I wouldn't have thought you'd suffer too much discomfort. I would definitely carry any luggage in a pannier or saddlebag rather than a rucksack, if you're not already doing so. You can always make small modifications such as changing the saddle, adding bar ends and changing pedals.

Good luck - I hope it goes well :) .

ArMoRothair wrote:Folder or road bike?

I cycled to a client's office a few weeks ago on my Brompton. Their address is in a hilly part of North London and it was an effort getting there on the Brommie, I nearly got off and walked as I cursed its limitations.

The following week I had to do the same journey and as I was setting off I discovered the Brompton had a p*nct*re, no time to fix it I hopped on my road bike. It was a joy; I felt like I was flying.

When I got home I looked up my Strava record for both journeys expecting the road bike to have crushed the Brompton's time but was very surprised there was only a 2 kph average speed difference and a few minutes travel time difference.

My folder is normally used for trips under 6 miles. I recently took it for a longer ride across town one evening and, even with a particularly horrible hill, it was just as comfortable and quick as my touring bike. And I didn't need to lock it up outside :) .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I do around 18 miles each way, approximately twice a week.

I have done it on a folder, mtb and road bike. My favorite way is road, mtb and folder.

I tried using part train part folder but it was such a faff and trying to get on the trains zone 2 was a PITA.

I am working up to 4 days a week and should be doable.

My av speed is around 13mph but I have around 70 traffic lights and the London bit is a slog on the way home. Not so bad in the mornings as I leave at 630am.