commute distance, folder or road bike?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thotwielder

commute distance, folder or road bike?

Post by thotwielder »

I am now using a folder to do 6.6 miles one way from train station to work. It takes about 40 minutes. After one week I felt a little bit tired. If I do the whole route from home to work it would be 15 miles (one way). I haven't got a decent road bike so haven't tired whole route yet. The route is mostly flat. So what's your opinion on this, should I continue on my folder or should I get a decent road bike? Will 15 miles on a good road bike more enjoyable than 6.6 miles on a folder (on a daily base)?
TrevA

Re: commute distance, folder or road bike?

Post by TrevA »

A lot depends on the roads. if it's main roads, then the constant buzz of traffic can be annoying, but if you can find a less trafficked route then the commute can be very pleasant. I used to commute 21 miles each way to work, from just south of Nottingham to the centre of Leicester. I had to do about 5 miles on the A46 dual carriageway but the first 8 miles were on country lanes, which made up for it. Winter brings the problems of icy roads and darkness which can be overcome, but can make the commute less pleasant. I used to cycle 10 miles to a station in the winter and catch a train to work.

Developing the fitness to do a long commute takes time, so you may need to build up to it, perhaps start off doing it one or 2 days a week and build up from there.

A road bike will probably be quicker, but you need to think how you are going to carry your kit. I wouldn't recommend a rucksack for that distance. I've always used a saddlebag or panniers. But can a road bike take panniers? Depends on the bike.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
15 miles each way will take about 3 hours a day out of your time, alowing for clothes changing cooling down (20 mins in summer) and the maintanance will be on top.
You will get fit and if you were to keep that up for a year this would be all the training you would need for an End To End attempt :)

The road bike will be better by vertue of the fact that higher speeds will be obtained by better bike fit and a sleeker body pose.

I would try a few days a week and you can always drop back on your old system.
You dont need a pure road bike, a MTB which already has all the gears and capability for mudgaurds and a rack for pannier/s could be a wise choice with slicks / semi slicks, just make sure any bike you buy either has IGH (internal geared hub e.g. brompton) Or Cassette hub dont go the 5 -6 - 7 speed old design free wheel new, unless a second hand bike is free to tryout.
A second hand cassette MTB will do for a cheap tryout but ditch the knobbly tires for some cheap slicks.
The worlds your oyster :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Riding the folder isn't going to be 2 and a bit times a hard per mile as a road bike so the longer commute will be a bit more effort. Though, as Tony says, it may be quicker than faffing around catching the train.

Nobody can tell whether you will enjoy your commute. I am sure that a 15 mile commute is some people's idea of heaven and others' idea of purgatory. Some things you have to try before you know if you'll like them.

I agree with Tony that you don't want to be carrying stuff on your back. Bear in mind that the things that make an ideal road racing bike are not necessarily the same things that make a great commuting bike. I would want something that you could fit a rack and mudguards to.

Bear in mind if you have only been cycle commuting for a week that it does get easier as your fitness improves and you get used to spending time in the saddle. You shouldn't be as tired by the same commute in a month's time
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
15 miles each way will take about 3 hours a day out of your time,

That's somewhat a matter of perspective. Thotwielder has to get to work somehow. When s/he gets used to the commute, it may not take much longer than what s/he currently does, or than taking bus and train, or something.

Including time solely for the purpose of exercise (i.e. commuting by bicycle replaces some time that would be spent in the gym) riding a bike looks even better.

Thinking of it as taking time out of one's day, makes it all too easy to also think it would be better spent doing something else. IMO, that kind of thinking is one reason that so many people drive everywhere. They think of cycling as 'extra time' to get somewhere.

I'll second the notion of something with mudguards. And if you plan to commute in winter, maybe somethign that will take winter tyres, as well.

Thotwielder, do you have any alternatives? Can you take the bus to the train if it's icy?

Get used to what you are doing before you extend your commute. Personally, I would prefer a full sized bike. 15 miles is a lot to do every day, twice a day. It takes a lot of dedication to do. People do it, and it's entirely feasible, but it can also get to be a slog, even if you're really keen. So, my advice: give a few weeks on the folder, then decide what you want to do. Can you borrow a bike or from someone to try or even a couple of different bikes?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thotwielder

Post by thotwielder »

Thanks for all the replies. I currently cycle 3 minutes to a tram station and take a tram (8 minutes) to a train station (I can also cycle 15 minutes to the train station but I already got a travel card (London zone 3,4) which covers the tram), then ride a train for 15 minutes, after that it's a 40 minute (6.6 mile) cycling to work. Yes, I know I still should try it out the whole route myself. Thinking getting a Decathlon rode bike, cheap compared with big brands but reviewed very well. At least I can use it for weekend.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Folder or road bike?

I cycled to a client's office a few weeks ago on my Brompton. Their address is in a hilly part of North London and it was an effort getting there on the Brommie, I nearly got off and walked as I cursed its limitations.

The following week I had to do the same journey and as I was setting off I discovered the Brompton had a p*nct*re, no time to fix it I hopped on my road bike. It was a joy; I felt like I was flying.

When I got home I looked up my Strava record for both journeys expecting the road bike to have crushed the Brompton's time but was very surprised there was only a 2 kph average speed difference and a few minutes travel time difference.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I have a road bike which I ride for pleasure. I also have a hybrid which I use for commuting. The hybrid works for me as I can and have fitted mudguards and panniers. The gearing is also a bit better for the hills so I don't get quite so sweaty.

I also prefer the hybrid as I do ride around fairly busy roads on my commute and prefer the handling and control that my Hybrid gives me with its straight bars and more upright riding position over what my road bike would give me.
PaulSB

Post by PaulSB »

I used to commute 18 miles each way by bike; 5 miles to station, 13 miles to work and then reverse. At the time I was the fittest I've ever been. Mostly I enjoyed it but some dark, windy, cold, wet mornings it was hard. This was on a road bike.

As you have only been cycling a week my advice would be to continue with this until you are sure cycle commuting is for you. Currently you have the best of both worlds as you can mix and match depending on mood and weather.

Based on your posted speed a 15 mile commute whether on road bike or folder is going to take 90 minutes or so. 15mph is a good average speed and regardless of the bike it takes time to reach this level. The cycling part of my 18 mile commute used to take 70-75 minutes on quiet country roads. Fighting London traffic will add to the difficulty of the commute.

Given your experience to date is stick with the folder until the riding is easy and you're convinced this is for you. Make a decision in January after a winter of riding.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

+1 Carry on with your current commute, perhaps try the 15 mile ride at a weekend to see how you get on with it. Do you particularly want a road bike? Consider other types such as a utility bike that can be used for shopping as well, a pedelec if you want to make life a bit easier or a recumbent if you are up for something a bit different that it is a lot fun and will turn heads.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Good on you. I used to commute 11 miles each way when I lived in London. That was when mountain bikes were 'in' any everyone had one including me. The wear and tear on my bike was staggering, I was as fit as a flea and I could have been more comfortable. When I swept away my need to be trendy and bought a commuter/hybrid my life improved tremendously. I was quick, comfortable, stable and the bike was quiet and the wear and time doing maintenance dropped off massively. I still ask myself, "How did I end up riding the wrong bike for so long?"

Hopefully I've learnt my lesson: I've just sold that commuter to fund a touring bike....b
thotwielder

Post by thotwielder »

Thanks for all the reply, very helpful. I think I am sticking to my folder for a while.. until the next impulsive buying :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

In London, cycling can often be quicker. I recently met my son in central London and I caught the tube to his house while he cycled. Chancery Lane to Leytonstone. He lives 5 mins walk from the tube station. He beat me by a good 10 mins. It's about 8 miles and he did it in 25 mins, took me 35. OK, he's pretty fit, cycles at 18 mph even in London traffic, but he knows the best route and all the good short cuts.

Plus, consider how much money you'd save if you got rid of your Travel Card. My son's wife has a Zone 3 card and it costs a staggering 1600 pounds a year. This to ride on a tube train where you can't even get a seat in rush hour. That saving will fund a decent road bike/tourer/commuter which will pay for itself over and over again. I save £20 a week by commuting by bike compared to bus or car.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Keep going, you'll get fitter and fitter, especially if it's a mild winter and you don't get too many days off. Months down the line you'll still be realising that some hill or other is a little bit easier. Whichever bike you stick with/buy! (Having more than one will start to seem sensible, if you have the space :-))
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

For me, unless there's a problem storing the bike at the destination, or it needs to fold to get it on a train etc. I would use a "Road" bike. I use quotes 'cos there's a question of what you mean by "Road" bike - I used to commute (occasionally) into Birmingham city centre on my Galaxy which is a "Road" bike in this context. (My employer found me somewhere to store it, though I had to carry it through part of the office off the ground so I didn't get the carpet dirty, and up high at one point to avoid damaging £3,000 worth of reception desk!) Co-incidentally they installed a shower in the loo about this time, not sure if it was a bit of quiet hinting by my colleagues re. a sweaty person sitting next to them all day :oops:
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !