A good idea for this country?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

A good idea for this country?

Post by Grandad »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29345631

and why stop at red light jumping. Could have a scale - 1 night for jumping red lights, 2 nights for using a mobile phone ..............
reohn2

Re: A good idea for this country?

Post by reohn2 »

We haven't got enough jails :?
Hit them where it hurts most,short bans,hefty fines with no wriggle room,that would do the trick :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Its called a Pillory.
The rotting vegetable seller has a barrow on the other side of the street.
The rat catcher is there as well with items for sale, along with the sewer cleaner.

Here are the Stocks at Evesham.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I've often thought a modern version of the stocks could be a cage in the middle of each town. Offenders could be locked in overnight to face ridicule from local people, and those incarcerated would be drunks, druggies, shoplifters, drivers breaking the law, anti-social persons and others I'm sure you could mention. :shock:
Power to the pedals
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Grandad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29345631
and why stop at red light jumping. Could have a scale - 1 night for jumping red lights, 2 nights for using a mobile phone ..............

Saudi Arabia, and some other countries of that tradition, have a quite unbelievably appalling road safety record for countries of such a level of development. There is an unfortunate tendency to let multiple repeat offenders of egregiously dangerous offences continue driving. They need to do something sufficiently dramatic to move social attitudes to bad driving. Though taking bad drivers' licences off them would probably be more proportionate and effective. Also a proper driving test would help. Currently you drive once around a roundabout in a real car to show you have very basic operating facility, and then take a 15 min computer simulator test. A day of training is usually sufficient to pass. http://www.wikihow.com/Acquire-a-Drivin ... udi-Arabia
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

whoof

Post by whoof »

I once was driven from Dubai to Abu Dhabi and back in a terrifying journey. I asked a few times if we could slow down and stop swerving violently around corners as I didn't want to crash. The response was that the persons driving had nothing to do with whether we might crash it was all down to the will of God.
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

whoof wrote:I once was driven from Dubai to Abu Dhabi and back in a terrifying journey. I asked a few times if we could slow down and stop swerving violently around corners as I didn't want to crash. The response was that the persons driving had nothing to do with whether we might crash it was all down to the will of God.

In Dubai I found the Lexus drivers of a much better standard than their Toyota cousins.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

whoof wrote:I once was driven from Dubai to Abu Dhabi and back in a terrifying journey. I asked a few times if we could slow down and stop swerving violently around corners as I didn't want to crash. The response was that the persons driving had nothing to do with whether we might crash it was all down to the will of God.

I've done much travel in the Gulf and even more terrifying was the time my boss successfully complained to our associated company, who had provided our driver, that he was driving too fast and it was making her nervous. This was more terrifying because all subsequent journeys with that driver were done at 30 kph - he had obviously had a talking to - but doing a glacial speed on roads where everyone else is going as fast as their cars physically can scared the living daylights out of me.

A colleague in Riyadh taught me not to look at their indicators, nor anything else, but to watch the direction of their fronts wheels - good advice which comes in handy elsewhere too - but such advice was unable to save him when he was t-boned on the Riyadh Dammam highway, may he rest in peace.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's something seriously wrong with a society that has that kind of outlook on safety :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Dean

Post by Dean »

When I was in Dubai the January sales were on.

They do January sales like no one else - including 50% off all speeding fines...
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

It's also seen as disrespectful to use lights in some places. This was in Egypt as the hotel minibus braked VERY sharply to avoid running over an unlit scooter doing about 30mph on a main road at midnight! He was in a middle lane.