is bikehike working?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Hackfall

is bikehike working?

Post by Hackfall »

for the last 24 hours on more than one laptop I cannot get bikehike to load routes to my forerunner gps I just get the message "loading garmin libraries"

anyone getting same issue?
Vantage

Re: is bikehike working?

Post by Vantage »

Mines on the blink too. As if bikeroutetoaster going pear shaped wasn't enough. Sheesh.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

drat, still no good today and need to plot something for tomorrow night.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It works fine here.

Mind you, I always download the routes to file, then transfer later to my Garmin device.
I don't think I've ever downloaded directly to the device as I never see the reason to do it as it means you have to connect straight away. I connect and transfer later.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

happy to do that just as well but not sure how. I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 watch I use mounted to my handlebars. Is there software around I can use to transfer the file? be grateful for your guidance.
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

actually I think I have found it now. Garmin Training Center. I need to save as TCX for my GPS, then import into Garmin Training Center then send it to the GPS watch.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't use any special software with my Edge 605 (although I do use Training Center to download my rides), just use it like a removable drive & open it in Windows Explorer. On the 605 TCX files go in the Courses folder, it may be different with a forerunner but should be obvious as there will be other TCX files in the right folder.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, that's the way to do it.
When you connect your Garmin, it should show up as a "mass storage device". If you open it, you will find a folder called Garmin. Inside that, there will be a folder called "TCX" or "GPX".

Put your downloaded BikeHike file into one of them.

Generally, the TCX will create a Course. This will make a route in there with info about the route and distance to go. If you have a Virtual Partner facility, a TCX will give you that. Generally, a GPX will create a Route and your device will re-calculate it and give you turn-by-turn directions.

I say "generally", because my Garmin Montana doesn't work like that in that it only takes GPX, so maybe there are other Garmins like that.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Tried that today. Works :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

I'm still getting the "loading garmin libraries" problem. I can't seem to find a way around it because I'm using a serial GPS, connected to a COM port.

Has something gone wrong with bikehike website? Funny thing is, I get a similar problem when I try to use gpsies website :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

johnmac wrote:....... because I'm using a serial GPS, connected to a COM port.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I ain't got a clue about a serial GPS or a COM port. :oops:

I connect my Garmins to the USB port on my computer. They show up as Mass Storage Devices.
Mick F. Cornwall
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

I connect my Garmins to the USB port on my computer. They show up as Mass Storage Devices.

Mine is an old Etrex which doesn't use USB and doesn't show as a mass storage device - it has to, I believe, connect via Garmin Communicator.

Anyone else getting the 'loading garmin libraries' problem?
Si

Post by Si »

Dunno if it's any help but I used "EasyGPS" with my old garmin that connected via serial port to usb linky thing.
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

works fine with saving as a file and loading via garmin training centre which is not inconvenient just an extra click or two. Pretty big TCX file for my 100 mile Peak Punisher Sportive on Sunday :-)
beardy

Post by beardy »

I am getting the same problem today and I never used to over the past years.

I have just switched to saving as a file instead of saving to GPS. Mine is through a USB lead, so it isnt a COM port issue.