FillThatHole - Dying ? Come on CTC

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: FillThatHole - Dying ? Come on CTC

Post by Flinders »

Round here they won't even do anything about a long stretch of broken up tarmac pavement, even though one- in fact, I think it may now be two- wheelchairs have overturned on it, and it is the only way some elderly people can get to and from the bus stop.
There are huge holes in the tarmac- some inches deep. It looks like someone has already begun to break it up prior to resurfacing it, it's so bad.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

grani wrote:Same here - I have tried to use the FTH website on my phone but it is impossible to place the pin on the map.

I the days when the app worked, if you were recording when at the hazard site, the "Add Pin" would automatically put the pin where you are (so no need to move it). If doing it later or moving the pin then there was a bit of "technique". I used to have problems, but found you needed to ouch and hold the pin a bit higher that you thought and wait a moment before dragging your finger around. Alternatively, before "Adding Pin", move the map around (easier) until the location was in the middle of the screen and then "Drop Pin" (the pin was always dropped at the screen centre). If not quite right you could "Remove Pin", move the map to correct and "Add Pin" again.

However, given the crashes, reporting problems, camera issues, etc., until CTC decide to drop of commit (or even say something!) I would not bother too much.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

Returning to the original question - I've asked someone at National Office if they would like to comment on the thread. Hopefully they should be along in the next few days to do so.
Steeplechasing

Post by Steeplechasing »

Maybe an entrepreneur will develop a drone that could constantly monitor roads for potholes
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

For me it doesn't much matter whether the app works or not. I tried filing reports with it but over several years saw zero response to them so gave up. It's still on my phone but since I don't use it anymore it's rather academic whether it works or not. Not the CTC's fault though.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I've been using the beta iOS app (v3.0 beta 6 now) which has been getting updates every so often. I haven't tried to use it now we're on iOS 8 (and I'll be able to test it on one of the larger iPhones soon).

It would be nice if the beta testing can finish soon so they can update the official app.

The app is very handy to use since it does the photo and geolocation in one go. It takes me a couple of minutes to do when I'm at the pothole, as opposed to having to remember to do it later.

I've always had success with reports being fixed by my local authority, too.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Si wrote:Returning to the original question - I've asked someone at National Office if they would like to comment on the thread. Hopefully they should be along in the next few days to do so.

Well it seems they are not interested.

They don't reply to my e-mails, don't contribute here. It really makes one wonder what on earth is going on with the CTC. I actually spend some time discussing the system with somebody from the CTC earlier in the year (at their request, they called me). I must be a major user (I've reported over 250 hazards this year), offered to participate in beta trials, and actually spent a large part of my career designing/implementing software for hand held devices (but for industrial applications).

So I guess the only thing left to do is to put in a Freedom of Information request to Dept of Transport, explaining that I have tried to find out via the CTC and expressing my concerns about the organisation as well as the project.

CTC should be answerable to it's members - and that means NOT ignoring e-mails.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

They are interested - just been talking to them about it at the Cycle Show. Problem is that they were running around like headless chickens getting everything ready for the show last week and so that was their priority. Hopefully they will get around to FTH once they are home, unpacked and recovered!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Still nothing from CTC
Still iPhone app not working (not fixed despite iOS8 having been available to developers for ages)
Still CTC not replied to my e-mails.

It really does make me wonder why I pay a membership fee (to have my e-mails ignored) and why the government is giving the CTC money when they seem incapable of getting on and doing things (and maintaining them). It demonstrated an inability to manage such projects.

I think this has convinced me not to bother renewing my CTC membership. They seem to regard the membership as "irrelevant".

Ian
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi all,

Apologies if people have made inquiries and not received replies. This may be due to staff changes at CTC.

I can assure that work has been going on behind the scenes with the development of the Android app and the iOS app update. These have been through beta testing and will soon be launched for review. I’ll post again when these do go live and we’ll also announce in CTC’s weekly Cycleclips, on the website and via social media.

Ian,
As Director of Membership I do take membership matters seriously – feel free to contact me at the office with any concerns.

All the best
Matt Mallinder
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cycleclips has announced the release of the Android version on Google Play.

iPhone version still under development.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

gaz wrote:Cycleclips has announced the release of the Android version on Google Play.

iPhone version still under development.

Local Authority response version not even started.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TonyR wrote:Local Authority response version not even started.

What is the "Local Authority response version" ?

Ian
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

gaz wrote:Cycleclips has announced the release of the Android version on Google Play.

“This app is incompatible with your device.” :(
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:
TonyR wrote:Local Authority response version not even started.

What is the "Local Authority response version" ?

Ian

The one where they go out and actually fix the hole.