Cafe & coffee

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Cafe & coffee

Post by reohn2 »

The Mechanic wrote:
As for the tax issue, blame the government for allowing the loopholes to exist. The main problem here is that the big companies have better tax lawyers than HMRC so it is no contest from the start.

When the company bosses of these tax dodgers faced a parliamentary committee I found myself shouting at the TV ''close the bladdy loopholes you dimwits''.
I then realised that possibly those MP's who should be closing said loopholes where probably sat on some committee in an executive and advisory roll in those very same companies,Grrr! :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Waitrose
reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:Apart from the fact that none of their stores, at least in this neck of the woods, are near anywhere I would generally want to cycle!

Rick.

Are there any in our neck of the woods,I can't say I know of any.

PS,I've just been reliably informed there's one in Knutsford and another in Sandbach :?

I use them (and their free coffee) quite a lot. It allows me to pick-up a few shopping odds and ends, get some "fuel" (cake) and coffee. Two stores conveniently located, but the coffee is "variable". Sometimes weak, sometimes cold, etc. But it is free so whatever the state, still good value for money. However, I'm finding Morrissons is getting my custom more often as, although no free drinks, everything else is so much cheaper it still works out cheaper than getting free coffee!

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:....... I'm finding Morrissons is getting my custom more often as, although no free drinks, everything else is so much cheaper it still works out cheaper than getting free coffee!

Ian

On the occasion we've used Morrisons for a lunch stop I've been pleasantly surprised with the food prices and quality,though their coffee is only average.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:On the occasion we've used Morrisons ...................
We use them in Tavistock, though never tried the cafe.

Prices?
Not no good as far as we're concerned, and the company is going downhill (sadly) though I do like the way you don't have to pay for a shopping trolley any more.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:On the occasion we've used Morrisons ...................
We use them in Tavistock, though never tried the cafe.

Prices?
Not no good as far as we're concerned, and the company is going downhill (sadly) though I do like the way you don't have to pay for a shopping trolley any more.

I'd no idea they were good downhill,in what way?
I'd no idea you had to pay for a trolley :?
If you mean put a £1 in to release one and then get your £1 back when you lock the trolley up again in the rack IMHO every s/market should have them.
It saves a car park littered with trolleys(because some people are too lazy/couldn't give a monkey's to return them to the trolley stack)and are left to roll about dinging people's cars :evil: as per most ASDA car parks :?
We're still in France,every s/market we've been in operates the 1 euro release/return system.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Morrisons is going down the pan.
I've been in conversation with people in the trade. Tesco going down too, but that makes the news. Asda having problems as well.

You pay for a trolley. It costs you a £1. Yes, that £1 is a "trolley for life" but it still cost a £1.
It's like buying a bag of life. You pay your money and you get a bag.

Personally, I've made a device that I can get a trolley for nothing. I stick it in, and I pull it out, meanwhile the trolley is released.

Meanwhile, Morrisons don't charge for trolleys any more. They must have been watching me. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Don't understand that? If you put in a pound and get it back when you return the trolley that seems sensible to me?

Aldi and Lidl are now becoming mainstream. They are not discounters they just charge fair prices. The big four rip off supermarkets will now have to dump all the offers which are there to trick you and make you buy too much. They will also make their remaining staff (there will be big redundancies) work much harder, much more flexibly, the german way. Prices will have to come right down. The big four will have to close some of their behemoth shops and perhaps put smaller Aldi/Lidl sized shops on these sites together with housing and industrial buildings. Personally I think its all great and good for the consumer and possibly the environment.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:Aldi and Lidl are now becoming mainstream. They are not discounters they just charge fair prices. The big four rip off supermarkets will now have to dump all the offers which are there to trick you and make you buy too much. They will also make their remaining staff (there will be big redundancies) work much harder, much more flexibly, the german way. Prices will have to come right down. The big four will have to close some of their behemoth shops and perhaps put smaller Aldi/Lidl sized shops on these sites together with housing and industrial buildings. Personally I think its all great and good for the consumer and possibly the environment.

I've got two local Waitrose's, plenty of Tesco's a couple of Morrisons, but beyond that, the only other is a very small Aldi which is currently "gutted" (even the external walls have gone, just a roof on legs). I will try the Aldi when it comes back but I suspect it may be a bit limited by its size.

Waitrose is certainly going downhill fast (not so much their coffee but they seem unable to keep stock - so often you go there and they are out-of-stock of stuff you went for). Tesco seem to be trying but starting from such a low base; and I suspect a lot will depend on how their suppliers respond to lowering their prices even more and paying for even more of Tesco's offers - 'cos I doubt Tesco will taking any margin reduction.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Yes, Morrisons is going down the pan.
I've been in conversation with people in the trade. Tesco going down too, but that makes the news. Asda having problems as well.

You pay for a trolley. It costs you a £1. Yes, that £1 is a "trolley for life" but it still cost a £1.
It's like buying a bag of life. You pay your money and you get a bag.

Personally, I've made a device that I can get a trolley for nothing. I stick it in, and I pull it out, meanwhile the trolley is released.

Meanwhile, Morrisons don't charge for trolleys any more. They must have been watching me. :lol:

Mick you need help :shock: :wink:
The £1 is yours,you're just holding it in a trolley instead of your pocket until you put the trolley back.
FWIW,we were in A Le Clerc s/market last week and didn't have 1 euro coin,I went to the desk and asked for change and the lady gave me a 1 euro sized plastic disc(for nowt) :mrgreen:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Don't understand that? If you put in a pound and get it back when you return the trolley that seems sensible to me?

Aldi and Lidl are now becoming mainstream. They are not discounters they just charge fair prices. The big four rip off supermarkets will now have to dump all the offers which are there to trick you and make you buy too much. They will also make their remaining staff (there will be big redundancies) work much harder, much more flexibly, the german way. Prices will have to come right down. The big four will have to close some of their behemoth shops and perhaps put smaller Aldi/Lidl sized shops on these sites together with housing and industrial buildings. Personally I think its all great and good for the consumer and possibly the environment.

Al

One thing I've never understood is why anyone wants a shop open 24hours a day.
If you can't do your shopping between 8am and 8pm possibly 10pm you really are in dire straights :? .
W H Auden
julianm

Post by julianm »

Apparently 3.30am is a good time to make new acquaintances - your eyes meet over the fish fingers. You can then invite him or her to a coffee, which is where this started!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:Apart from the fact that none of their stores, at least in this neck of the woods, are near anywhere I would generally want to cycle!

Rick.

Are there any in our neck of the woods,I can't say I know of any.

PS,I've just been reliably informed there's one in Knutsford and another in Sandbach :?

One in sunny Preston too now. And I must confess to occasionally using it, though not the coffee machine in the foyer, or the cafe. It's the selection of olives they stock, yum (picolino and lucques please. Though kalamata are my favourite, they're just as good elsewhere. OK OK, I am a bit poncey). The veg are too pricey by far though, that's when you want to get to Mogadon's, especially since they improved the veg sections; more selection and more weighable over pre-packed, though some of the more esoteric stuff'll not get whipped up and be left out a tad too long.

Booths is, as often descrtibed, the 'Waitrose of the North', and apparently also do a thing where you can get free coffee (and hot choc even) if you accept a store card, which being a small regional company is not quite as dark as a huge national chain. http://densityofsound.com/unicycle-emptiness/?p=891
Too bad their own brand coffees (beans/ground) are quite nasty, and I gave up trying a few years ago, despite them being the only one around with a grinder in the aisle any more.

I suspect the 24 hour shopping thing is largely down to the fact they'd have staff in to stack shelves and clean up anyway, so might as well leave the lights on and be available to anyone that wants in too; when I've been in them (on shifts in past times) the staff aren't normally at the checkout until someone goes to one, and instead out there doing the other stuff they'd be doing even if the store was shut. I think.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the big 4 still have their uses - only way I can get reduced price ( some times 1/4 of original price ) meat still in fine condition. Lidl only do I think 30% off and not much any way at my local. Some times my Sainsburys have loads of meat that hasnt sold
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've found the Co-op on Armley Town Street an excellent place for cheap meat. Their "Totally irresistible" range is way beyond the reach of most of the customers in this now poor area. Although they are a bit hit-and-miss with the timing of the reductions, they are 25%, then 50% and finally 75% although the SP on which the discounts are calculated isn't cheap. Part of the strategy is to buy only straightforward meat, avoiding anything with sauce or other exras. I've rarely managed anything with a 75% reduction but 50% around mid-day is frequent. While I was regularly in Armley looking after my mother, the only limit on the amount I bought was the size of our freezer.

I can't understand why the likes of the Co-op who own their own farms (or perhaps they've now sold them?) don't make a lot more mileage other being able to prove the antecedents of what they sell.
onabike

Post by onabike »

I think it's a decent price, but I prefer taking my own thermos