Cafe & coffee

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: Cafe & coffee

Post by Psamathe »

Or, get a "myWaitrose" card (free) and then get a free cup of decent coffee from their cafe (or their real coffee machines they are now putting around their stores - so you can avoid queues at the cafes).

BUT, if you like cakes, then getting a free coffee can end-up quite expensive with cakes (which are not free!).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:Ask for filter coffee, its cheaper than even an Americano, and you get more.

And is more often than not stewed from being left in the jug.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

reohn2 wrote:
honesty wrote:Ask for filter coffee, its cheaper than even an Americano, and you get more.

And is more often than not stewed from being left in the jug.

Ah, you need to practice the art of turning up just as a new jug comes out ;)
karlt

Post by karlt »

reohn2 wrote:You won't get a decent cup of coffee wherever for less than £1.80 it's that simple.
If you wish to drink instant that's your business,personally I'd rather not.

I don't always agree with R2, but he's bang on the money here. Life's too short to drink instant. OK, if doing a lightweight long-distance walk in the wilderness, then just maybe ;)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I do, but you just get a puzzled look from the server. They don't seem to know what a filter coffee is! Many of them are foreigners and don't understand English and British habits and culture. If I visit a decent greasy spoon I always put a review on Tripadvisor.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
karlt

Post by karlt »

Problem with coffee in Britain is there are still plenty of people who woudn't know good coffee if it jumped up in front of them singing the "I'm good coffee" dance wearing a "Good Coffee" T-shirt on National Good Coffee Day in a benefit gig for Good Coffee. There's a place around my way that does a "milky coffee" which consists of one part filter coffee (not espresso, filter coffee) and three parts hot milk. The old dears lap it up. This is a country where some 75% of coffee sales are instant, and Camp and Mellow Tu-, I mean Birds still has a market
Last edited by karlt on 25 Sep 2014, 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote:I read an economics book in which coffee shops were used as an example. Main railway stations and motorway service station coffee shops are very expensive largely because of high rent. If there is an alternative like an ordinary cafe or a greasy spoon we'll use that. But, companies like Starbucks charge whatever they think they can get away with. ...

The most basic fact about any business is that if they don't make a profit, they'll go bust. There are all sorts of reasons why they may not make a profit and not covering overheads is only one. Frightening away customers by charging too much is another and that's not simple because high prices can increase demand by giving a sense of exclusiveness.

When a chain of outlets is involved, it tends to be useless complaining because the customer facing colleagues (AKA counter staff) have no way of recording customer feedback. Voting with the feet is the only effective option but you need a lot of other people to feel the same way. It does happen - the current case being the traditional pub trade - but the coffee shop trade seems secure at the mo.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:Ah, you need to practice the art of turning up just as a new jug comes out ;)

I've never quite mastered it :? so stick with espresso with added hot water(Americano).
Pollution in the form of milk(yuck! :? )can be added,but I'd rather not :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Interestingly on my recent trip around Germany the only place with a choice bigger than coffee and milk coffee was at the airport. That's okay with me, theres nothing more infuriating than having to wait for the designer coffees someone has ordered before i can get served with my hot water and leaves!

Cake on the other hand - yum, loads of choice unlike the dry 'muffin', carrot, choc or sponge on offer in UK outlets.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It does amaze me how long it takes them to make a cup of coffee, when that's all they're making. Part of me is suspicious that slow on purpose so that you feel they've been doing something magical and special, not something fast and easy, so somehow the coffee must be better.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sod the coffee, drink tea instead.

Nice tea, brewed in a bone china teapot with real loose tea, none of the teabag rubbish, real tealeaves brewed properly.
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

reohn2 wrote:
honesty wrote:Ah, you need to practice the art of turning up just as a new jug comes out ;)

I've never quite mastered it :? so stick with espresso with added hot water(Americano).
Pollution in the form of milk(yuck! :? )can be added,but I'd rather not :D

As long as its not the travesty that coffee chains push as a cappuccino.... double shot does not make a cappuccino better, even it you are serving it in buckets.

We have a really nice tea house in Taunton now, Miles Tea Rooms, that serves really nice tea, properly. I refuse to pay for tea from coffee chains as they all seem to make awful cups.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Don't get me started on cappuccino. I was taught one third espresso, one part hot milk, one part foam. Not these milky coffees with spit on that go under the name.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I was spoiled a bit by going to holiday to Italy for a number of years to stay with family and having proper cappuccinos. The ones over here are far too strong, and either far too bubbly or basically a latte with spit on.
jayd

Post by jayd »

Quite O.T, so apologies but if I want a quick brew I take a flask instead. I really don't like the "cafe legs" effect.