Cafe & coffee

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
julianm

Cafe & coffee

Post by julianm »

I was over the bridge at Otley yesterday & discovered that the old `Dunnies` cafe by the bridge has been closed & the whole site is earmarked for a care home. ( I suppose I might be visiting again then...)
I`m afraid I stopped going as on my last visit the place was filthy & my experience in a bacteriology lab gave me a sense of unease. However, a replacement was soon discovered but I`m not sure about the price of a cup of coffee anymore - £2.20 for a little cup seems to me to be over the top - it`s Yorkshire not Mayfair after all.
Are we succumbing to a price led effect from the likes of Starbucks & Costa? After all, a spoonful of brown powder from a catering size tin & a splash of milk isn`t exactly expensive, even allowing for an `ambience` surcharge.
Or am I getting tight?
karlt

Re: Cafe & coffee

Post by karlt »

10p's too much for instant. If it's real and half decent I don't mind, but I'd agree that £2.20 is ripping the widdle a bit.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Definition of a Yorkshireman........just like a Scotsman, but with all the generosity squeezed out.

Nothings is ever quite right for a Yorkshireman......the thought of a dose of salmonella from Dunnies is nearly as frightening as letting somebody make a living from serving coffee!

Pedal a bit further, and try "Teacups" in the cattle market at Pateley Bridge.....that's Yorkshire farmers prices, even cheaper than the WI ladies in Ripley church on a Wednesday.

Or theres Cockpit Farm between Otley and Askwith.....but I harbour a suspicion that they are trying to make a living.

....or you could ride on to Bolton Abbey, and pay His Lordship's prices in the Cavendish Pavilion...... :lol:

You know the difference between a lost love and a lost golf ball?
....a Yorkshireman will search for hours for a lost ball.....
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

there is an answer - drink tea!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jonathan123

Post by jonathan123 »

It's funny because a cup of coffee served in a thermal polystyrene cup was 50p in most cafes, often made with all (or at least a lot of) milk. Then all of a sudden "designer" coffee turned up (of which I am a great fan) and the cup because £2 plus. I just reckon that at the meeting of one of these designer coffee outlets to decide the price of a cup of tall skinny wet latte with a shot someone suggested £2 a cup, everyone else laughed and said "the public won't go for that" in reply the person who suggested the incredible price says "lets just give it a whirl see if we can charge them, see if the soft cushions and free wifi distracts them" the rest is history so we are stuck with it if you ask me. Got to rush I'm off for a coffee :)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Try Adam's Ale, you get nearly a hundred gallons for £2.20.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Misread that as adnams ale. For a brief moment..........
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My wife and I have a very effective answer to the great £2+ coffee rip off........

We carry one of those pack flat silicone cups around when we are likely to have to reluctantly go in a Starbucks, Costa or any other 'rip off' coffee merchants. We just buy the smallest Americano and delight in pouring half of it into our cup which we produce at the milk adding place. It gets used for tea in pots if that's outrageously expensive too. The huge American style strong coffees these places serve are more than enough for the two of us.

The silicone cup came in a nice little plastic case that fits easily into my wife's handbag. We have been known to pop into Gregs or any decent British baker to equip ourselves with reasonably priced buns too.

Most Starbucks and Costas do have very comfy seats to enjoy a half sized coffee and imported bun though. Its a great way to get back at these unwelcome tax avoiding scars on our high streets and railway stations.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You won't get a decent cup of coffee wherever for less than £1.80 it's that simple.
If you wish to drink instant that's your business,personally I'd rather not.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

But are they ripping you off, compared to the 50p cup? I don't drink coffee but my wife does, at huge cost. The 50p could cover the milk and hot water and surroundings of the first cup, so what extras are there for the £1.30? I'll accept that the sofas are probably nicer, and some of it probably pays for an accountant and a lawyer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:My wife and I have a very effective answer to the great £2+ coffee rip off........

We carry one of those pack flat silicone cups around when we are likely to have to reluctantly go in a Starbucks, Costa or any other 'rip off' coffee merchants. We just buy the smallest Americano and delight in pouring half of it into our cup which we produce at the milk adding place. It gets used for tea in pots if that's outrageously expensive too. The huge American style strong coffees these places serve are more than enough for the two of us.

The silicone cup came in a nice little plastic case that fits easily into my wife's handbag. We have been known to pop into Gregs or any decent British baker to equip ourselves with reasonably priced buns too.

Most Starbucks and Costas do have very comfy seats to enjoy a half sized coffee and imported bun though. Its a great way to get back at these unwelcome tax avoiding scars on our high streets and railway stations.

Al

It must be a bit of a begger when you have to take your wife with you for a cup of coffee,then you don't feel you've been ripped off :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:But are they ripping you off, compared to the 50p cup? I don't drink coffee but my wife does, at huge cost. The 50p could cover the milk and hot water and surroundings of the first cup, so what extras are there for the £1.30? I'll accept that the sofas are probably nicer, and some of it probably pays for an accountant and a lawyer.

Friendly efficient staff,taxes(if you drink coffee at Costa),premises,newpapers,ambience,etc,etc.
BTW on a cold day you can take as long as you like to sup it too.
I was in business for nearly 30 years,I'd give a customer a price and they'de take it or leave it.
In all that time I only ever had someone insult me once,on meeting him he opened the conversation with ''hello,now I don't want to be ripped off by you''.I told him we couldn't do business,not because of the fact I would rip him off but because he thought I would.
Displayed behind every counter there's a price list,the customer has a choice,they can take it or leave it!
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I read an economics book in which coffee shops were used as an example. Main railway stations and motorway service station coffee shops are very expensive largely because of high rent. If there is an alternative like an ordinary cafe or a greasy spoon we'll use that. But, companies like Starbucks charge whatever they think they can get away with.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:I read an economics book............

I thought perhaps you might have :wink:
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ask for filter coffee, its cheaper than even an Americano, and you get more.