Lewes Road Brighton- new facility any good?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
niggle

Lewes Road Brighton- new facility any good?

Post by niggle »

Calling Brighton & Hove residents: my older daughter has just started her Physics degree at Sussex Uni and has taken her cute little Dawes Duchess (loop frame, 1x7 gearing, basket on front) with her with the intention of using for around and about and possibly odd trips into town. She had been told that cycling facilities in Brighton are a bit better than average (for the UK :wink: ) and looking on the Brighton & Hove City Council website the key route for her into town, Lewes Road, has had recent significant improvements, with apparently a 2 meter wide cycle lane separate from the bus lane: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content ... provements.

I had previously looked at the out of date views on Google Street View and was a bit concerned to see the amount of cycle lanes running next to parked cars, in the door zone, at the 'town' end of things, but this has also apparently been addressed- anything I should be telling her or can a local reassure me this facility is now up to scratch? Plus also any other specific advice re cycling in B&H; I appreciate the sea front cycle path will have its issues with pedestrians.
661-Pete

Re: Lewes Road Brighton- new facility any good?

Post by 661-Pete »

I know Brighton pretty well, and I have to say, the facilities are mostly 'farcilities' - but there are plenty of people cycling, including students, and they seem to be able to cope! Probably using the cycle lane on Lewes Road is better than mixing it with the dual carriageway traffic - but beware of junctions like the Coldean Lane turn-off (northbound), where as you can see, left-turning traffic has to cut across the cycle lane.

The Upper Lewes Road/Bear Road/Hollingdean Road interchange is also pretty hairy - I can't remember when I last went that way by bike so I can only go by what Google shows.

And I've never got the hang of the labyrinth of cycle paths (a lot of them on pavements) criss-crossing Old Steine and The Level.

Elsewhere in Brighton there are plenty of shared-use pavement/cycle paths which tend to direct the hapless cyclist straight into a tree... but that's infarcestructure for you!

Also bear in mind that Brighton is quite hilly! Especially once you get off the main trunk roads. There's at least one hill reputed to be 1-in-4 (The Droveway).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
niggle

Post by niggle »

661-Pete wrote:I know Brighton pretty well, and I have to say, the facilities are mostly 'farcilities' - but there are plenty of people cycling, including students, and they seem to be able to cope! Probably using the cycle lane on Lewes Road is better than mixing it with the dual carriageway traffic - but beware of junctions like the Coldean Lane turn-off (northbound), where as you can see, left-turning traffic has to cut across the cycle lane.

Thank you Pete. I got the impression from the council website and illustration that in the improvements completed last year they had sacrificed one 'all vehicles' lane and put a 2m cycle lane down the outside, with a bus lane between that and the remaining 'all vehicles' lane, though I don't know how long this continues:

I understand re the issue of turning traffic at side roads and was intending to mention it to her. Not sure how bus stops are now arranged on Lewes Rd either.

661-Pete wrote:The Upper Lewes Road/Bear Road/Hollingdean Road interchange is also pretty hairy - I can't remember when I last went that way by bike so I can only go by what Google shows.

The council website says that the 'Vogue Gyratory' is being 'improved' right now with a twenty week plan of works that started in July: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content ... provements

Plan pdf here: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/b ... n%20v1.pdf

661-Pete wrote:And I've never got the hang of the labyrinth of cycle paths (a lot of them on pavements) criss-crossing Old Steine and The Level.

Elsewhere in Brighton there are plenty of shared-use pavement/cycle paths which tend to direct the hapless cyclist straight into a tree... but that's infarcestructure for you!

Also bear in mind that Brighton is quite hilly! Especially once you get off the main trunk roads. There's at least one hill reputed to be 1-in-4 (The Droveway).

The general chaos of shared pavement farcilities is likely to be quite confusing for her, probably best to ride on road on the smaller back streets I suppose?

As for the hills, she has just moved up from Cornwall so she should know what to do when she sees one :wink: though I don't think she will be heading out over the Downs by bike.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

niggle wrote:The council website says that the 'Vogue Gyratory' is being 'improved' right now
You know, I don't think I've ever heard that name: maybe that shows up my ignorance, after all I've only been living in and around Brighton for the last 40 years or so... :oops: But, with local people, I think we generally call it the "Sainsbury's corner" or something like that, owing to the giant supermarket in the middle of it all. But that would be confusing to a non-local: there are plenty of Sainsbury's!

Anyway I'm sure your daughter will learn all the ins and outs. Brighton is not a bad place for a cyclist to be.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Thanks again Pete, I expect she will venture out when some social occasion demands it and hopefully will be with friends.

BTW that road The Droveway is 1:14 according to Bike Hike, there is a 1:5 at the back of my house :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Some reports of gradients are notoriously inaccurate, but I think it's steeper than that! The steepest section of my one-time commute (up to about 20 years ago) was Millers Road which felt like about 1 in 6 to 1 in 7. It certainly felt like it - I wouldn't attempt that climb now! Maybe a look at Streetview is evidence of this.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

niggle wrote:Thank you Pete. I got the impression from the council website and illustration that in the improvements completed last year they had sacrificed one 'all vehicles' lane and put a 2m cycle lane down the outside, with a bus lane between that and the remaining 'all vehicles' lane, though I don't know how long this continues:

That cycle lane is very much thinner than 2m and will result in buses passing very much closer than they would if they were simply sharing the same overal width.

The council website says that the 'Vogue Gyratory' is being 'improved' right now with a twenty week plan of works that started in July: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content ... provements

Plan pdf here: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/b ... n%20v1.pdf

And that plan looks positively lethal. Cyclists are taken off the road to go behind a bus stop then re-emerge onto the carriageway brom behind a stopped bus just at the approach to a junction.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Pete Owens wrote:That cycle lane is very much thinner than 2m and will result in buses passing very much closer than they would if they were simply sharing the same overal width.

As that is just some sort of digital 'artists impression' I would hope that the lane is actually a genuine 2m as promised.

Pete Owens wrote:And that plan looks positively lethal. Cyclists are taken off the road to go behind a bus stop then re-emerge onto the carriageway brom behind a stopped bus just at the approach to a junction.

I see what your saying, but the issue will only be with other traffic wanting to enter the left turn lane for Hollingdean Road, the cycle lane is continuous and compulsory before and immediately after the bus stop and protected by being raised by 50mm then 25mm before finally continuing as a distinct marked lane- traffic going up the main(?) route straight ahead will not be in conflict with the cycle lane but cyclists wanting to turn right at the 'top' of the 'gyratory' will be needing to take more care and make movements across 'all vehicles' lanes, but hard to see how to avoid that. Another issue will be how pedestrians are enabled to cross the cycle lane to reach the bus stop- opportunity for conflict there.

Whenever anybody criticises a facility I do think they should back it up with their solution, or to say up front that they are opposed to all facilities...

EDIT: turning right at the top may be helped when traffic is stopped by the lights, due to the ASL (assuming compliant motor vehicle driving), but getting across when traffic is moving will be another thing altogether.
jake369

Post by jake369 »

Both Lewes Road (main route to the Universities) and Upper Shoreham Road have had quite good cycle paths added - both been controversial. Unfortunately for Lewes road, what was a dual carriageway into and out of Brighton is now a single lane road with the rest being used by bus lane and cycle lane, so traffic here is now horrendous whereas before it was fine. Having cycled as a student years ago up and down this road, I never had any problems before this.

The rest of Lewes road is a sea of green and red tarmac where once again, when it was just a normal road seemed much less confusing for both bikes and cars.

The scheme at the Vogue Gyratory (name after the xxx sex cinema that used to be there, not sure if they meant to do that!) looks horrendous and again, while daunting possibly for some, if you take the lane it is pretty safe - I won't be using the new cycle path when it's finished.

Upper Shoreham road, again this was a very wide road now turned into a narrow one by adding segregated cycle lanes. Again, always used to be plenty of room for bikes and cars on the road, now cars have a much more narrow road to negotiate - but segregated cycle lanes are nice with separate traffic lights for cycles at junctions. Possibly a nice example of how it should be done, but again I'm never quite sure what problem it resolved.

Brighton in general, seafront wise the cyclepath is a battle with pedestrians and throughout there is a maze of disjointed or dangerous cycle paths (ie wrong way down a one way street etc..). The Level has paths all around plus a cycle friendly cafe.

In general, for a student on a bike, she will be one of hundreds and would be ok. Taxis and busses, and motorists at times, all seem to hate bikes, but just make sure you don't run red lights and you keep to the law of the road and all is fine.

BTW - seefront cyclepath is part of Route2 and so you can go miles (hundreds!) along it in both directions. Some nice care free cycling along the coast is a must!
niggle

Post by niggle »

MikeF

Post by MikeF »

What you can say about Brighton is that at least there seems to be a positive attitude from the authorities towards cycling, unlike the do nothing or box ticking exercise of many others. For example there are cyclists reverse flow on some streets and they are trying to increase more 20mph areas. However I haven't cycled around Brighton enough to comment in detail.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote:And that plan looks positively lethal. Cyclists are taken off the road to go behind a bus stop then re-emerge onto the carriageway brom behind a stopped bus just at the approach to a junction.

And yet, the design has been used in Cambridge (example http://www.cyclestreets.net/location/59203/ and links) and overseas for years without particular danger AFAIK (checked on http://www.cyclestreets.net/collisions/ ... 0352735510 for the Cambridge example)
niggle wrote:[...] Another issue will be how pedestrians are enabled to cross the cycle lane to reach the bus stop- opportunity for conflict there.

Whenever anybody criticises a facility I do think they should back it up with their solution, or to say up front that they are opposed to all facilities...

Amen! I know Pete Owens is far more sceptical than I am, but comparing the cycleways I enjoy with the really nasty rubbish he's experienced, I can't blame him much.

Floating bus stops are another crossing for pedestrians, but everyone can see everyone so I'd be surprised if there were collisions rather than people needing to slow down slightly and give way, at worst. The key is making the crossing clear to everyone, which the Brighton design seems to try to do with tactile pavers, although I'd prefer some colouring.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
niggle

Post by niggle »

The floating bus stops (new terminology for me) on Lewes Road look quite decent on the slide show- I think it helps if the bus shelters are transparent with no advert posters etc. obscuring a pedestrian's view of cyclists and vice versa, particularly at the ends.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

niggle wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:That cycle lane is very much thinner than 2m and will result in buses passing very much closer than they would if they were simply sharing the same overal width.

As that is just some sort of digital 'artists impression' I would hope that the lane is actually a genuine 2m as promised.

Well if you look at the detailed scale drawings of the giratory you can see the narrow cycle lane (heading towards Brighton) - much less than the space cyclists need for safety. To see how much worse 1.5m cycle lanes like that make conditions for cyclists take a look at:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.u ... -lanes.pdf

It is a shame because the scheme does look to involve genuine roadspace reallocation. They have not just converted one lane of the dual carriageway to a bus and cycle lane but actually increased the width of that lane so that there is sufficient space for buses and cyclists to pass each other. If only they didn't insist on subdividing that space it wouyld be very very good.

I see what your saying, but the issue will only be with other traffic wanting to enter the left turn lane for Hollingdean Road,

I was thinking more of vehicles turning into the car park imediately after the bus stop. The cycle lane to the right of the left hand filter for Hollingdean Road is much less of an issue.
the cycle lane is continuous and compulsory before

Not according to the drawing. What I see is a narrow advisory on-carrageway cycle lane heading north up Lewes Road and across the mouth of Upper Lewes Road. This is then diverted off the carrageway and behind the bus stop.
and immediately after the bus stop and protected by being raised by 50mm then 25mm before finally continuing as a distinct marked lane- traffic going up the main(?) route straight ahead will not be in conflict with the cycle lane but cyclists wanting to turn right at the 'top' of the 'gyratory' will be needing to take more care and make movements across 'all vehicles' lanes, but hard to see how to avoid that.

It is only hard to see that if you insist on separating streams of traffic by vehicle type rather than direction of travel. Once you segregate by type you are bound to cause conflict at junctions where those streams have to cross each other. This is the explanation why parallel off-carriageway cycle paths have such a poor safety record at junctions.
Another issue will be how pedestrians are enabled to cross the cycle lane to reach the bus stop- opportunity for conflict there.

Indeed so. And here we get to the real purpose of bus stop bypasses. If you start with an off-carriagway cycle path running alongside a bus route then this will inevitably lead to conflict at the bus stops. It is a bad idea to send cyclists through a bus shelter (though this doesn't seem to occur to some designers (see http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.u ... il2013.htm - and others). And to have the cycle path going imedieately adjacent to the bus as people are stepping off is obviously dangerous (though commonly implemented). So to arrange for the cycle path to be routed behind the bus stop is the least bad solution - a way to minimise the unavoidable conflict.

However, these things seem to have become fashionable as a good thing in their own right - so now we are starting to see on-carriagway cycle lanes diverted round the back of bus stops then back on to the carriageway. This is a really bad idea - you are creating conflict where there was none before. To do this on the approach to a junction is plain daft.

Well if the problem is the danger caused to cyclists by a proposal to implement a daft cycle path then the simple solution is don't do it. As with medics the first thing is to avoid making the situation worse that it was to start with.

However, the real question is: "How do we improve conditions for cyclists through this cycle-hostile road layout". Unfortunately, rather too many people interpret this question as "Where can we fit in some cycle facilities" with the implicit extension on the part of highway engineers: "without inconveniencing motor traffic in any way whatsoever".

So. This is what I would do:
First I would start by getting to the root cause of the problem - and remove the giratory itself. The entire purpose of giratories is to speed up motor traffic by creating multi-lane roads which require high-speed merging and filtering. Theyare nasty for pedestrians and cyclists and really have no place in any liveable city. This might be politically tricky in some places - but this is Brighton where the Greens are in power - and do show a willingness to take on auto-centric assumptions.

Lewes road would then be a continuous conventional 2-way street similar to the way it is towards the town centre. (though where it becomes a shopping street further to the south I would consider something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vzDDMzq7d0) There would be a single general traffic lane in each direction and I would maintain a shared bus/cycle lane southbound. I would make the northbound traffic lane as wide as possible and the southbound general traffic lane as narrow as possible.

There would be a traffic light controlled cross-roads (or possibly a contintental geometry roundabout) at the north end (where Hollingdon Rd & Bear Rd Cross) and a traffic light controled T junction (or continental roundabout) at the south end for Upper Lewes Rd. The current Northbound part of the giratory would be blocked to through traffic (possibly with a bus gate) and accessed from the north.

The speed limit would be reduced to 20mph, and enforced by average speed cameras.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I agree there do seem to be some issues for cyclists in the proposed scheme whereby it appears motor traffic for Hollingdean Rd has to cross a cycle lane as well as for cyclists turning right either from Lewes or from Brighton.
However I don't understand how your plan helps either cyclists or motor vehicles. As far as I can see, a major problem appears to be there just isn't room to do what you are suggesting without demolishing the many properties in the middle of the gyratory. For instance at the moment there are 3 lanes going towards Brighton centre, bus/cycle, general traffic and a right filter to Upper Lewes Road. If you have don't have the gyratory you will lose the filter right lane as this will become the carriageway to Lewes, if I understand your plan correctly, and without the cycle lane :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.