Non driving cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
c53204

Non driving cyclists

Post by c53204 »

I was in Glasgow with two bikes on my roof. A cyclist pulled in front of me at the lights and gestured that I had my headlights on. They are of course DRL's. Now a requirement on new cars and I explained this to him.

He then took off with lights still on red and almost got wiped out by a van.

The ignorance and stupidity of some people is scary.
Bicycler

Re: Non driving cyclists

Post by Bicycler »

Don't really see what this has to do with "non driving cyclists". Plenty of drivers aren't up to speed with vehicle construction regulations. My mother wouldn't have a clue what a DRL was despite driving for years. I wouldn't call it ignorance, it's not something you need to know about unless you are (un)fortunate enough to have them on your vehicle. It's only like those people who insist upon telling you that you have left your bike lights on because they don't know about dynamo standlights. I appreciate the considerate thought even if the action was unnecessary.

As for the cyclist and the red lights, I'm not sure that having a driving license makes you any more likely to obey traffic signals on a bike.

I recounted this tale on a recent thread

Bicycler wrote:BTW, I had a brew sat outside a café the other day with a clear view of one part of a traffic light controlled junction. In twenty or thirty minutes there I saw two cyclists who jumped the red or amber lights...

...and 53 drivers.

We see what we want to see
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I wouldn't know which cars are equipped with DRLs and which are not - as far as I know it's compulsory to have them switched on in daytime, only in the Scandinavian countries and Poland. Personally I deplore the trend because, obviously, I want motorists to stay in the habit of keeping an eye open for everything on the road, not just lit up objects... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

So what are DRL's?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
c53204

Post by c53204 »

Day Light Running lights.

All road users should be aware of such things as the Highway Code - is that not the case. Removing the fact that the cyclist had no reason to know about motor vehicle regs, he thus had no reason to comment. Even less riding through a red light - now that he should be aware of.

Ride or drive on the road, the read the Highway Code and stick to the rules and laws when using the road - simples. The roads would be a lot better if everyone did.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

Daylight Running Lights. They are front lights on cars which are on all the time the headlights are not on. They are commonly extremely bright white LEDs. You cannot turn them off. They are not a problem on bright days but also serve no purpose, on dull days or in low light conditions they glare very brightly and can be dazzling as they are non directional and very bright.
JimL

Post by JimL »

These things are my pet hate at the moment.

I seem to remember that there was some sot of debate going on about proposed EU regulation to make daytime lights compulsory despite the danger to pedestrians and cyclists.

Is it true that all new cars must be fitted with DRL and if so can they be turned off?
JimL

Post by JimL »

I see Steve has said they cannot be turned off . Is that really true?
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I can't turn mine off. It may be different on other cars.
Mine dim down once you put the headlights on.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

JimL wrote:I see Steve has said they cannot be turned off . Is that really true?

Yeah that's the idea of them. They are on all the time.
David_S

Post by David_S »

How does OP know that the cyclist with whom he had the altercation is not also a car driver?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I recollect, that when I hired a car in Sweden nearly 20 years ago, the car hire chap pointed out a switch on the fascia and moved it to the 'on' position. He warned me not to move that switch at any time, or I'd be breaking the law. DRLs were compulsory in Sweden, even back then.

The car was a Saab, IIRC; I can't remember what model. So back then, on some cars at least, it was possible to turn the DRL's off - presumably for driving in countries where it wasn't obligatory.

But of course a lot must have changed, since.

Back here in the UK: if I had a car with DRLs (my present one doesn't) and I disabled them by removing a fuse or something, with a view to saving energy - would I be breaking the law?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've turned off the DRLs on my Alfa Romeo Mito. Blow them: they're dangerous for non motorised road users, including wild animals. I think that's possible even on the 2014 models, but it can only be done before moving off, which is rather irritating.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have cycled since I was five years old. I only began driving in my late fifties, in order to chauffeur my mother.
I do not think that driving has taught me anything new or useful about safe cycling, but my cycling road sense etc. was very useful in making me a better driver. I have also been determined not to be the sort of driver I always hated when on a bike.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?