Punishment Pass - By a Cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BearOnWheels

Punishment Pass - By a Cyclist

Post by BearOnWheels »

I could not believe this…
Last week I dropped my car in for repairs and popped my folding bike in the boot. So at the garage I handed over the keys and pedalled off home. Its a route I know well (A1000 between Hatfield and Potters Bar, Hertfordshire). As I was nearing the end of my journey a roadie, replete in kit from a Finchley cycling club (How do I know...it was plastered all over his backside, white text on a black kit) overtook me. Fine. I don't care as such about that…

His handlebar was less than an inch from mine. One wobble from either of us, we 'd both be all over the road. No warning (he had headphones in). He then brutally cut in front of me causing me to swerve. Why? Its not as if a car was coming…the road was empty for at least 2 minutes either side of the incident.

Why? This is not the TdF, or the ToB. Its poor road craft. Thats all. All I can hope is that this individual self selects themselves out of the evolutionary chain.. cycling recklessly like that he will and it will be his fault and no one else's.

I was tempted to ring the club secretary and have a rant, but having spoken to these sort of clubs in Hertfordshire I doubt they would even care to listen let alone see what the problem is…

If I ran a club ..I'd throw him out for bringing the club into disrepute or at least warn him of this.

Many forum members would do the same for errant drivers..ring the firm concerned. Maybe its time we started to haul these errant cyclists back in too...
Spinners

Re: Punishment Pass - By a Cyclist

Post by Spinners »

You're right to be annoyed. That's bad cycling by anyone's standards. Perhaps he's dismissive of anyone not on the same type of bike as him? Muppet.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I get this occasionally - I've always assumed that we just have to live with it. It comes to a point that, if I see a bunch of roadies approaching, and I throw a cheery "good morning" or "good evening", and they return the greeting, I'm the one who nearly tumbles out of my saddle in astonishment. Things ought not to have come to this pass.

I can't expect a fully-kitted-up roadie to have a bell, but at least some sort of verbal warning, and a decent amount of room - it doesn't cost anything!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

It is very poor road craft, I always give cyclists I am passing a wide berth and not too fast, you never know if the other cyclist is going to suddenly veer to the right.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

What is a bit worrying is that the individual is probably doing the same to pedestrians, cars, etc. - and whilst some will ignore many will not and it can have a big effect in getting cyclists in general a bad reputation.

People only notice the occasional obnoxious behaviour and the 99.9% who are polite and considerate don't tend to register.

Personally I would contact the club concerned.

Ian
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Contact the club, just to let them know as it may be something they are already aware of.

Our club has a strict "cheery wave/nod, friendly greeting and plenty of space" policy when out, even on the fast paced ride.
But then again, coffee and cake stops are mandatory too! :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you are just one of the vermin that litters the road as road kill?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I was squirted with water from a car window once.........out of a cyclists water bottle.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:What is a bit worrying is that the individual is probably doing the same to pedestrians, cars, etc [...]

He's probably doing the same whilst driving a car, and as a pedestrian he's probably elbowing slower/weaker people out of the way.

I'm sure it's the same guy who pushed in front of me at the checkout in Finchley Sainsbury's.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

bovlomov wrote:
Psamathe wrote:What is a bit worrying is that the individual is probably doing the same to pedestrians, cars, etc [...]

He's probably doing the same whilst driving a car, and as a pedestrian he's probably elbowing slower/weaker people out of the way.

I'm sure it's the same guy who pushed in front of me at the checkout in Finchley Sainsbury's.

Enough to convict, for sure.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Funny, I've always found road groups perfectly friendly round here. And individual roadies, with only the odd exception, who may have been concentrating and simply not seen me.
The only two people in the last few weeks who haven't returned my greeting have both been females on sit-up-and-beg bikes. One stared blankly back as if she hadn't expected a greeting, and the other, who glared back at me in a very hostile way, was wearing high-viz and lots of layers under it on a hot day. I figured she must have been suffering and left it at that (maybe if she'd have been in lycra she'd have been cooler and happier).

I hasten to add I was not passing or otherwise annoying either of them. :wink:
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Bonefishblues wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

Enough to convict, for sure.

Not enough to convict (I don't think either poster intended it to be), but probably correct in essence: Selfish people tend to behave selfishly no matter what form of transport they choose.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Psamathe wrote:Personally I would contact the club concerned.

I suggested because, even if the individual cannot be identified, it might prompt the club to remind all members about road manners, etc. and point everybody that they have received complaints about "riding style" nd that they may be starting to get a bad reputation.

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Psamathe wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Personally I would contact the club concerned.

I suggested because, even if the individual cannot be identified, it might prompt the club to remind all members about road manners, etc. and point everybody that they have received complaints about "riding style" nd that they may be starting to get a bad reputation.

Ian

Agreed. I normally resist the temptation to lump all cyclists together as a group, but if someone is a member of a club (and more so if they are advertising that) then this is an invitation to be treated as a member of that grouping; they are making that positive choice (and their behaviour will reflect on that group).
karlt

Post by karlt »

I know that our El Capitano would read the riot act to the club if he got a report like that.