Latest speeding excuse..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Re: Latest speeding excuse..

Post by 661-Pete »

Anyway, didn't there use to be a law:
It is legal for a man to urinate in public, as long it is against the rear offside wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

?

Sadly, no longer in force. See here (scroll down to page 6).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:Anyway, didn't there use to be a law:
It is legal for a man to urinate in public, as long it is against the rear offside wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

?

Whereas in France I think it is mandatory (to "relieve yourself" anywhere and everywhere, in public). No modesty there.

Ian
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

?

I think you are reading it wrong:

Alleged law: It is legal for a man to urinate in public, as long it is against the rear offside wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

In Force? No.

Comment: It has been suggested that the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 contains a provision along these lines for the benefit of taxi drivers, but this is not so.

Interesting link though. Thanks
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I read the actual report.
According to that, he already had six points on his licence. Given how unlikely it is that any speeding driver is caught, if those points were for speeding, he would have to be a serial offender, and I would not have taken the excuse given.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Flinders wrote:I read the actual report.
According to that, he already had six points on his licence. Given how unlikely it is that any speeding driver is caught, if those points were for speeding, he would have to be a serial offender, and I would not have taken the excuse given.

Either it's a legitimate excuse or it isn't. The number of points already on the licence has no bearing on that, nor does any speculation that he's a "serial speeder". He might be the unluckiest man in the World or he might be an out and out nut-job, who knows?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bicycler wrote:I think you are reading it wrong:
Maybe, but I would so like it to have been law in bygone years.... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
karlt

Post by karlt »

It's one of the popular legal myths, along with the ones about bikes with wheels less than 20" being classed as toys so being allowed to be used on pavements, and that other one about how you can be done for speeding on a bike if you have a speedometer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:

?

Whereas in France I think it is mandatory (to "relieve yourself" anywhere and everywhere, in public). No modesty there.

Ian

Wee(sorry)were in Bourg-en-Bresse a couple of years back.
In the middle of town on a main street(the type where the camber goes to the middle of the road where the gullies collect the rainwater)I saw fairly rough looking tramp walk to a gulley,and take a leak,stopping traffic.The first car was driven by a young woman who,though a little put out sat in her car and waited patiently until he'd finished,then mouthed 'merci' before driving on.
Can you imagine that in the UK?
There'd be uproar and it would probably make front page in the DM!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:There'd be uproar and it would probably make front page in the DM!
I doubt somehow that the tramp's naughty bits would feature on the DM's 'sidebar of shame', though.... :shock:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Either it's a legitimate excuse or it isn't. The number of points already on the licence has no bearing on that, nor does any speculation that he's a "serial speeder". He might be the unluckiest man in the World or he might be an out and out nut-job, who knows?

I disagree. If he's had points for speeding already, he should be speed aware and, if he then developed a problem, have found an alternative way to travel or avoid roads where he can't stop if necessary, whether or not he's used that excuse before or not. Of course, if he has used the excuse before, he shouldn't be using it again anyway.
It's so rare to be caught for speeding, even though it happens all the time, that anyone caught more than twice has either been spectacularly unlucky or is a serial offender.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Flinders wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

I disagree. If he's had points for speeding already, he should be speed aware and, if he then developed a problem, have found an alternative way to travel or avoid roads where he can't stop if necessary, whether or not he's used that excuse before or not. Of course, if he has used the excuse before, he shouldn't be using it again anyway.
It's so rare to be caught for speeding, even though it happens all the time, that anyone caught more than twice has either been spectacularly unlucky or is a serial offender.

er...which is what I said.

You didn't offer the latter option in your OP. You asserted that "he would have to be a serial offender, and I would not have taken the excuse given" hence my comment.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Surely if you've been caught twice you're a serial offender?

Isn't that kind of the meaning of the word serial?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Of course.

I think the poster was making a different point, however, which is what I was responding to.

The inference was that because he had been detected 3 times, then here is an individual who is an habitual speeder.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Not necessarily habitual but at the very least occasional and most likely regular or habitual. I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that he could have only ever exceeded the limit on three occasions. The odds would be so unbelievably small as to be incredible. Would anybody care to estimate the odds of a single incident of speeding being detected and the driver issued with points rather than just being advised of their speed?

In any case the driver knew the law and had been caught on two previous occasions for the same offence. Would we view any person caught three times for any other criminal offence as "unlucky"?

It only requires a single incident of speeding to endanger others so it should only require a single incident to be punished. Can we imagine the excuses of just being unlucky to get caught or needing a pee working in the case of a workplace safety violation?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bicycler wrote:Not necessarily habitual but at the very least occasional and most likely regular or habitual. I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that he could have only ever exceeded the limit on three occasions. The odds would be so unbelievably small as to be incredible. Would anybody care to estimate the odds of a single incident of speeding being detected and the driver issued with points rather than just being advised of their speed?

In any case the driver knew the law and had been caught on two previous occasions for the same offence. Would we view any person caught three times for any other criminal offence as "unlucky"?

It only requires a single incident of speeding to endanger others so it should only require a single incident to be punished. Can we imagine the excuses of just being unlucky to get caught or needing a pee working in the case of a workplace safety violation?

You may well be right, but Courts deal in evidence, not supposition.