Short Survey - Do you use service stations?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Short Survey - Do you use service stations?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I don't even use them for fuel. I buy my vegetable oil in 20 litre drums from Costco.

And declare it for tax purposes of course...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wish I could run my chainsaw, my lawnmower, my hedge timmer, and my strimmer on veg oil from Costco! :lol:

It annoys me greatly that I have to buy petrol and pay the fuel duty on it to pay for roads. I get through about 20ltrs a year, not much in the great scheme of things but £25 a year to just maintain our garden and land is a bit much.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

rjb wrote:I've used motorway service stations in the past. You have to find the back entrance obviously but they can be great for an all night breakfast. The club would use them on an all night ride :wink:

That reminds me of the times when the club used the services at Corley on a regular basis as passed the back entrance on many of our routes... :lol: Bet the sight of 6-10 bikes locked up outside turned a few heads. I know Ferrybridge used to be used on 'Bernie's Long Flat One' 600l audax and a very welcome sight those cooling towers were and oh how long they seemed to take to get closer .......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Use them all the time, the best ones are those that have a mini supermarket attached, great for water, sandwiches, etc. no problem parking the bike.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
robing

Post by robing »

I use them frequently. Advantages are as others have said: good visibility for your bike, I rarely even lock it unless I use the loos. Good facilities (not all of them). Many have toilets, decent self serve coffee eg Costa Express. Some have pastries and a cafe. Only downside I find is that they tend to be a bit pricey.

I have been asked on more than one occasion when buying some snacks, dressed in full cycling gear, "any fuel?" To which reply, yes it's right there in front of you! :lol:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

robing wrote:I have been asked on more than one occasion when buying some snacks, dressed in full cycling gear, "any fuel?" To which reply, yes it's right there in front of you! :lol:

I remember one wag asked me what my fuel consumption was. "Ten miles to the Mars Bar!"
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Yes, use them all the time. Always found them to be helpful. They sell snacks, coffee and usually have a toilet. Not sure why you would avoid them
drossall

Post by drossall »

See my comment on page one. You'd avoid them because they've made their entrances unsafe.

I did make a mistake, but I don't think that's an appropriate entrance if cyclists are going to be coming in.
jonathan123

Post by jonathan123 »

I stopped at a service station on the way to Devizes once it was a life saver, had a bottle of water and a bag of crisps as I had exhausted my personal supply of energy gels for the day. I would rather stop at a village store, tea room or such like but these are not always easy to find.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Use them on Audaxes , late night rides , Majorca. When other places are shut , when I want a quick stop and not the faffing around that goes on in most tea shops unlike transport cafes) Etc = would sir like a latte , Americano etc. No just a mug of instant white coffee thanks with milk all ready in it . Not 10 mins faffing and then I still have to assemble it myself