Bad driving Monday to Friday?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

Bad driving Monday to Friday?

Post by jezer »

When I retired in 2007 I thought it was a wonderful opportunity to ride more during the week. Well I certainly tried, but I found the attitude of many motorists put me off. I still do it, but I have mainly reverted to club rides at weekends. Why do so many drivers seem to object to other road users sharing the same space as them? On our club ride to watch the TOB on Friday a driver passed us, wound down his window and told us it was illegal to ride two abreast. This was on a wide road with no traffic. He had just cut up the rider at the back of the group on a mini roundabout.
Power to the pedals
Psamathe

Re: Bad driving Monday to Friday?

Post by Psamathe »

I have become increasingly horrified by the standard of driving and attitude of drivers towards cyclists.

I tend to ride single track lanes with passing places. And I am forever pulling in to let cars past. But 99% of the time a vehicle will never stop at a passing place for me on a bike. They will invariably ignore the passing place and drive like the bike just isn't there and takes no space. Most of the rods have sand and small stones along their edges (washed off the fields) and get onto that and you have no control. Can't steer, can't stop. A few weeks ago a car decided the passing place was "not for him" and continued at normal speed, meaning I was forced onto the sand/stones where I fortunately fell into the hawthorn hedge 'cos it was 50:50 the hedge or under the car wheels. And he didn't even slow down.

A few days ago I rode to my local Waitrose for the 1st time and riding once round the car park looking for the bike racks I was nearly run down twice by Range Rovers who did not think they should have to stop at a "Give Way" sign (with dotted lines across the road), particularly just for a bike. And I was wearing my invisibility waistcoat (the bright yellow one with reflective white bands). Others in the car park were watching and shaking their heads in disbelief at these two Range Rovers.

Most rides I having several close shaves and probably every 2 or 3 rides I'm close to being knocked-off the bike.

It really is getting very bad out there - to the point where today I started seriously considering giving-up cycling. I love it but not more than life itself. And it is coming to that. I think cycling will never become more popular until something can be done about the standard and attitude of drivers.

(And for me it's 7 days a week, not just Mon to Fri).

Ian
jezer

Post by jezer »

I can't get to grips with the enthusiasm for pro racing in the UK, which I fully endorse, and the lack of respect for ordinary cyclists on our shared roads, which we all pay for though taxation. I'm tempted to revert to off road riding, which I did in the 90's, but why should we? We are all entitled to use the roads we pay for.
Power to the pedals
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

jezer wrote:I can't get to grips with the enthusiasm for pro racing in the UK, which I fully endorse, and the lack of respect for ordinary cyclists on our shared roads, which we all pay for though taxation. I'm tempted to revert to off road riding, which I did in the 90's, but why should we? We are all entitled to use the roads we pay for.

That's part of the problem isn't it? Cycling as seen as sporting pursuit to be done by athletes on closed roads. Not a legitimate form of transport.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

They're getting worse.
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/story/2 ... avoid-jam/

My girlfriend and I took the car to a local country park today, 11 miles away. In that space of time, we were...

undertaken 3 times. Once at quite some speed like we weren't even moving,
cut up at junctions twice,
had some eejit call my girlfriend a *** ***** because she gave him the evils after he failed to give way despite us having right of way,
and on a single lane road with a passing place that also gave us priority, had 3 other cars fail to wait and let us past.

My better half was almost blowing steam from her ears.
"Me first" is the new "after you".
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I ride anytime anyday, and find the worst by far is at the weekends.

Weekdays, the drivers are off to work or the school run, then the rest of the time the roads are full of people going about their daily business. Weekends OTOH, are full of drivers who aren't very good at it because they only drive to the shops at the weekend, or tourists, or full of drivers out for a laugh/enjoyment.

Give me mid-week anytime please.
Mick F. Cornwall