Off the see The Tour .....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Off the see The Tour .....

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Yes, I wasn't saying it wasn't enjoyable.
Having watched the tour four times in past years, I have ticked it off my To Do list and I wouldn't bother again.

Rumor has it they wont come to devon next year :?
But if they came throgh Gunnislake I am sure you would be there....make a good stage climbing up from the river :)
I only went because it was close to my stomping ground, any further and I would pass.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

I watched it go by (went past my housing estate) and thought it was over quickly but amazing to watch. I think there was more motorbikes than cyclists though.

Dave
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
theDaveB wrote:I watched it go by (went past my housing estate) and thought it was over quickly but amazing to watch. I think there was more motorbikes than cyclists though.

Dave

M/cyles.....dont start.....I am a motorcyclist and have competed in road trials - end to end in one day (v-easy really)
BUT I dont like their inability to drive safely :x Their attitude, the crass noise of blareing horns etc, etc,

They have a lot to answer for, pedestrians killed on TOUR de.........cyclist put in hostpital.... the list goes on, their skill and judgement is very poor I.M.O.

We need them but they are too much too close and dont fit with the sport.

Rant over.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:But if they came throgh Gunnislake I am sure you would be there....make a good stage climbing up from the river :)
Oh yes of course! :D
Good hill for anyone to climb, but having watched them fly up Pork Hill onto Dartmoor a few years ago, Gunny Hill would be a flyer too.

Anyone who can ride a 110mile stage in four hours, won't be put off by one of the worst climbs in Cornwall.
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

barrym wrote:
What impressed me most was the police motorcyclists. They were having a ball!

Cheers
Barry
spot on Barry my very thoughts as I watched the Tour come through Eastbourne earlier.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:But if they came throgh Gunnislake I am sure you would be there....make a good stage climbing up from the river :)
Oh yes of course! :D
Good hill for anyone to climb, but having watched them fly up Pork Hill onto Dartmoor a few years ago, Gunny Hill would be a flyer too.

Anyone who can ride a 110mile stage in four hours, won't be put off by one of the worst climbs in Cornwall.

Gunny hill.......how long and what gradient both sides :?:
You should of seen them up Haytor they were struggling.
I driven Gunny Hill several times and its long enough.
Got to remember that in the bunch they are sheltered, the pace they set is like Tony Martin on the flat for 100 miles, Vuelta last year amazing :o
NATURAL ANKLING

SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!! Re: Off the see The Tour .....

Hi,
What a shambles.
Dowset is in yellow.
Kwiatkoski is in the Wiggo group ahead of Dowset.
So Dowset Yellow
Kwiatkoski 34 seconds down
Wiggo is 1 m 3 secs down from Dowset.

Race finishes Vermot wins stage, and comentators say that Kwiatkoski will be in yellow and Wiggo is 30 secs down, Dowset finishes well down is a seperate group.
Then the GC board comes up with wiggo 49 seconds down from yellow, dowset is just 12 seconds back from wiggo.
Kwiatkoski is 19 seconds off YELLOW :?

Van Daarle is in yellow :?:

WHO

He was in the leading group and picked up bonuses by coming in third but amounted bonuses earlier in the stage (IIRC)

There were long pauses in the comentry not the usual fast talking rundown of the top GC riders..........long pauses................
Ned and Hales tried to recover the embarissment.....ha ha ha............

Some poor B%^%^$ head buted the railing on the final bend which was in full view but was not mentioned at all, he limped home one foot off the pedal.

In the Highlights all is corrected by the final comentry finishes with Ned and Hayles just joking around..............

If they did not have the info then all they had to do is admit it :?:
If they were caught napping just say so.

But no never admit any oversights or balls ups...........
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Gunny hill.......how long and what gradient both sides :?:
You should of seen them up Haytor they were struggling.
I driven Gunny Hill several times and its long enough.
Short section up from the England/Cornwall border at the bridge to the village. Long steeper section from the village to the primary school, then it tails off to the top at 2.5miles.

Total climb is from 50ft at the bridge to 750ft at the top 2.5miles away, but the steep section finishes at just over a mile up to 600ft.

Therefore the steep bit is a mile with an ascent of 550ft. Gives overall a bit over 10% but it is actually variable as part-way up is levels a bit before the proper steep bit. Probably the steepest is 15%+. It's not the steepest hill of course, but it's a long slog and gets steeper the further up you go.

Gunnislake Hill.png
Mick F. Cornwall