Off the see The Tour .....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlanD

Off the see The Tour .....

Post by AlanD »

... as it comes through Blewbury. :D So a Big Hello to anyone else planning to go out and cheer the riders past.
honesty

Re: Off the see The Tour .....

Post by honesty »

Did this yesterday in Exmouth. The differences between the tour buses made me giggle a bit. You can definitely tell which teams are pro tour teams!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Actually, one thing that I found quite odd having never been to see a tour stage before, there were no clothing concession stands (apart from the Tour of Britain one...). At the F1 when I went to see a race there were stands selling clothes for all the teams and I was expecting something like that at the start area of the stage, but there was nothing. Seems like a massive opportunity missed if you ask me.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Three years ago tried to cycle to three parts of the darmoor stage and missed the 2nd one but made the third whilst live :)
Two years ago went to Dartmeet and it was heaving with spectators despite wiggo and cav dropping out :(
Last year missed it as was off colour :(
This year gave up on cycling to two spots whilst the tour was live and plumed for haytor, decided to come up the back route as it would be quite, but the roads were free so I need'nt of bothered.
I go to bovey tracy and lustliegh three times aweek training so a small detour up haytour with my 23 kilo skip trainer, went past several roadies but was caught by one silf like guy on a road bike must have been all of 60 kgs plus a 8 kg bike I was dragging 100 kilos all up but put a spurt on and stayed within 10 - 20 mts to the top, thetrip home was slower than usual and my monitor showed a blip at 180 :? Must of been the extra effort trying to stay with the guy.

Bad move I stayed with crowd near top of haytor and could barly see a thing, wont make that mistake again.
Saw wiggo, thats all I could make out.
You need to find a hill with little spectators for a good view.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I was going to cycle down from Taunton but had to be back home for 1 so drove. Went to Exmouth first to see the start area and the tour buses, then drove round to Powderham. had a cake and coffee the castle shop and watched the sprint. Bit disappointed that no one contested it and they just rode through. I then pelted it up the back lanes to see the hill climb but went down the wrong lane and missed it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I couldn't be bothered.
I could have gone into Tavistock to watch them come through the town, or up on Dartmoor on the climbs, or out to Lydford by the castle or to Okehampton town centre.

Why couldn't I be bothered?
Because I've seen it before a few times, and TBH I find it waste of time as it's all over in a flash ............. and they've gone.
Yesterday's stage was 110miles and they were due to do it in 4hrs or so. They don't hang about for photo opportunities and a chat. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

MickF thats one of the reasons in the end I decided to drive down and have a good nose around the start area. Got a good hour ogling bikes etc. got to see them whiz past me, then got home and watched the race on TV!
barrym

Post by barrym »

IMO it's the same with most sports. I went to the Moto GP year before last, and couldn't quite figure what had happened and how. But was able to watch it at home in the evening. Just what I'm doing tonight after watching 90 seconds of action just outside Trowbridge.

What impressed me most was the police motorcyclists. They were having a ball!

Cheers
Barry
--
Cheers
Barry
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As it was very near my normal route, I could take it in easily.
I agree with Mick F on it being not very much bang for buck.
I have seen the Tour down in bournmouth about twenty years ago and it was'nt that good especially if its on the flat.
You just dont see that much, a few seconds of what is four hours and sometimes completly uneventful, on TV you can skip thro the boring stuff.

Only three years ago I cycled to two spots around the moor and by chance both had a few small hills within view where I stood, the first there was six spectators and the second about 30..........to see 100 + tour cyclist coming over the small hillocks like a snake was truely awesome, and when they past the silence and all those lean atheletes on smart bikes was something else 8)
That sight will stay with me till I get the same again.

You do have to be in the right place at the right time................

Stood next to an eighty year old cyclist who took up cycling when 50, he said that in the alps its very good as they pass slowly as they would, but to travel that far is the draw back.

Like all sports I prefer to be in it rather than spectate, I cant in that so I watch, Vuelta is looking good at the mo and TOB today was interesting, well done that man.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I saw the Tour on Marine Drive in Llandudno, a scenic and spectacular four miles around the Great Orme ride I've done many times.

The tour went the wrong way round this one way private toll road ( free for cyclists and walkers), something I've never done.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Stood at the bottom of Brassknocker hill this morning and caught the whole peleton as they whizzed by including Marcel Kittel grinning as he hung over the back wheel to slow down. These were all taken on my mobile phone.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nkaehz89x2n7 ... hrjTa?dl=0
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ditchling Beacon today from about 3pm onwards. We're thinking of standing at the bottom, where they have a sharp turn out of Underhill Lane - so no chance of a fast run-up to the climb :roll: .

The celebrated children's author and illustrator Raymond Briggs ('The Snowman') lives in Underhill Lane. I wonder if he'll be watching? But I don't think snow will figure in today's stage! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

I went yesterday to see them climb Chinnor Hill. I agree that they were past in a flash - even on a steep hill - but it was an interesting and enjoyable experience, which adds to my enjoyment of watching this and the other Tours on the telly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I wasn't saying it wasn't enjoyable.
Having watched the tour four times in past years, I have ticked it off my To Do list and I wouldn't bother again.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

Yes, likewise. Not sure I'll go again unless it's very convenient. BTDT :)