First Audax - Thoroughly enjoyable!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Merry_Wanderer

First Audax - Thoroughly enjoyable!

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have finally got round to entering my first Audax, albeit this is the shortest distance, a 51km ride :)

I have got a typed sheet of directions from the organiser with location of controls and a reference to 2 OS maps (both of which I have). Probably a daft question to ask but am I best copying the route in highlighter on a photocopy of the relevant portion of map?

Thanks
Mr Unsure
Last edited by Merry_Wanderer on 13 Sep 2014, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Re: First Audax

Post by cycleruk »

By all means copy the relevant map sections. It will save your maps from rain, sweat and other damage.
I used to use A3 size when I had access to proper photo copiers.
With my home scanner I'm limited to A4 now.
Just make sure you cover enough of the area in case you go of piste. :oops:
Also you can mark on the maps where there are any check points etc.

And take your time and enjoy it. :D

P.S. Are you sure it is 51 kilometres?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I just follow the route sheet, and keep maps in my bag to be referred to only if there is something I am unsure about.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks for the tips, I'll try following the typed sheet and have the maps in a pocket. I'm looking forward to it :-)

Here 's a link to the ride, it's the National Forest 50km;

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-486/

Thanks
Andrew
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

And follow your own route even if you are in a group that appear to be able to read their route sheets, unless of course I am on the front reading the route sheet :lol: this is important for various reasons, if they drop you you need to be able to pick up fairly quickly where you are on the route sheet, it helps to teach you how to read a start sheet, those on the front may not actually be that good at reading their sheet.
Well remember being at the back of a group with a friend of mine, those on front approached a junction, all grabbed their route sheets hastily from pockets, turned left as we smugly turned right.... Grat way to get to the front and be first in the cafe control lol.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Make sure you have some sort of route sheet holder (purchased or home made) so that you can read the route sheet from your normal cycling position.
Make sure the sheet is protected against rain - I use an A4 plastic envelope so that the sheet can be folded to show the relevant section.
More recently I've had sheets laminated which enables them to be cut into suitable sections.
I've seen people new to audax trying to read a route sheet held in one hand and navigate at the same time (this can be a particularly disappointing experience if the sheet is slowly dissolving due to heavy rain :( ).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
eileithyia wrote:And follow your own route even if you are in a group that appear to be able to read their route sheets, unless of course I am on the front reading the route sheet :lol: this is important for various reasons, if they drop you you need to be able to pick up fairly quickly where you are on the route sheet, it helps to teach you how to read a start sheet, those on the front may not actually be that good at reading their sheet.

+1 Very common, the big heads like to lead the sheep...do your own thing....where does it say TEAM.............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks all. I will let you after the event how I got on :-)
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

My own thing is following the blue line and listening to the friendly voice :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Good luck with it. I was going to do my 1st Audax a few weeks ago (an 50k) and was a bit worried about my knees. In the end my toothache stopped me doing it - I've never had pain like it before (could not sleep, could not eat) and I ended-up having 3 visits to the emergency dentist over the Bank Holiday weekend ...

Do report back on how it went.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If the typed sheet is divided up into colums :?: And does not read across the whole page but there are two colums across the page then cut it up so you have several say 4 cards, and laminate them even putting them back to back too (double sided). Carry a copy with you incase you lose the working one.
This is what I used to do and elastic band them on to my cycle torch mounted on my bars.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PaulSB

Post by PaulSB »

I don't ride many Audax events but one tip I have is this. Create your own route card on stiff paper or a postcard, protect by laminating, wrap with cling film etc. Place this on your left lower arm (I prefer underside) with print facing you. This means all you have to do is turn your arm slightly towards you to check the next instruction

Obviously you may need to split the route across more than one card.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Like the man says, take your time. Five hours is enough for 100k.

My best tip is to look up the tea-shops along the way before setting out.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Merry_Wanderer

Re: First Audax - Thoroughly enjoyable!

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Completed my first Brevet Populaire 50km earlier today. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride on a lovely route with friendly fellow cyclists, good views and a super cafe with CAKE :-) Went off-route a couple of times but I had nothing but encouragement from fellow entrants and rode the 2nd half of the ride with company.

Looking forward to a longer route next time. Thanks very much for the tips from people on here, very helpful they were

Andrew
stork

Re: First Audax - Thoroughly enjoyable!

Post by stork »

Well done!

Hope your route sheet / map solution worked OK. I recommend buying the cheap AA road atlases (no more than £2 from a petrol station, Aldi etc.), removing the staples and just folding the page(s) you need in a plastic gripseal bag, just the right size to fit in your jersey pocket.

I work from the route sheet and highlight the route, also checking it out on Google Maps or similar before the ride (look at the Street View of key junctions). Then I find that I don't need to refer to the route sheet or map too often.

As route sheets often come in km, I have two identical cycle computers, one set to km and one to miles (they are also both calibrated for both my bikes).

Road atlases are less useful if you're passing through a built-up area -- here, follow your route sheet, do your research, or carry a full downloadable street map like MapDroyd or OSMAnd on your phone.