Another 'Cyclists Dismount'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Chris the Sheep

Another 'Cyclists Dismount'

Post by Chris the Sheep »

I don't think this needs any comment, this topic has been done to death many times, but I couldn't resist posting this picture I took this morning on Blackpool seafront (near the Cabin to be precise). The barriers are to do with the illuminations and the same happened last year.

The white lines are the edge of the 'cycle lane' on this shared use route; as you can see there's nothing further ahead, and there's virtually no visible markings behind me either.
No, I didn't dismount....

Further towards Blackpool the promenade is all shared use, with no marked cycle lanes. It seems to work fine, but should I ask them to put 'dismount' signs up in front of every obstacle? (Litter bins, street lights, some giant steel 'grass', fake boulders strewn around the comedy carpet etc).
Attachments
WP_20140910_001_sm.jpg
snibgo

Re: Another 'Cyclists Dismount'

Post by snibgo »

And it's a non-standard sign. They've taken the usual red triangle sign that warns other road users that there are cyclists, and added the words "cyclists dismount".

This is double or treble stupidity.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Surely it's advising pedestrians to get off their feet because there are cyclists around?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's obviously warning people that cyclists may dismount and they should be cautious of such dismounts.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

A triangle with a diagram of a junction warns of a junction.
A triangle with a diagram of a bend warns of a bend.
A triangle with a diagram of a low bridge warns of a low bridge.
A triangle with a diagram of a bumpy road warns of a bumpy road.
A triangle with a diagram of a bicycle with the text 'cyclists dismount' clearly is
kwackers wrote:It's obviously warning people that cyclists may dismount and they should be cautious of such dismounts.

kwackers know his road signs :D
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

A couple of years ago when they were refitting the lifts in the Greenwich foot tunnel, their was nothing but a Victorian spiral staircase of a couple of hundred steps at either end. They even put cyclist dismount signs there. I blame Danny MacAskill.........
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....