Biker's death filmed - horrific.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Re: Biker's death filmed - horrific.

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I'm afraid I'm a bit paranoid about other drivers doing silly things (not claiming mine's perfect by any means) but, have seen so much erratic driving over the years. Something you read a lot about on here is drivers pulling out in front of cyclists, SMIDSYs, then the typical responses are that car drivers are out to 'get cyclists'. I'm afraid that this isn't the case, it is just rubbish driving. Perfect example a few days ago, driving my van conversion, Renault master, so not a small vehicle, and woman looked straight at us and pulled out of junction literally feet in front of me. Had half anticipated it, so not a problem, but, much smaller object travelling at 150 ft sec!! Not a chance
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mjr

Post by mjr »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Watching the vid, to approach a built up area and a junction with a vehicle in position to turn across you at 90 odd mph is silly.

Are you watching the right video? I think there's a house or two on the corner but the Wood Lane junction isn't in a built up area.

I think the driver had plenty of time to see them and not go. I think it would probably have been a collision at 60.

Approaching at 90 is silly, I agree. Idon't always take that junction at 60 in a car. He might have survived at 60, or maybe not. We'll never know.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Could the driver have seen the biker in time, given the description of the road above?
A car driver's vision is lower than a biker's, or a cyclists', unless it was a high 4x4, and if there are dips in the road the biker might have seen the car before the car could have seen the driver.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

From the video and report I've seen sightlines would only have been impeded by other vehicles.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

It might not be 'built up'! But, you've got herring bones, with red paint background, to emphasise hazard? Which he quite happily ignores, overtakes on, at 90 mph. Everyone obviously has their own opinions as to the rights and wrongs of this incident. Not to anticipate the potential risks in this scenario, to me, appears totally irresponsible.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Phil Fouracre wrote:It might not be 'built up'! But, you've got herring bones, with red paint background, to emphasise hazard? Which he quite happily ignores, overtakes on, at 90 mph. Everyone obviously has their own opinions as to the rights and wrongs of this incident. Not to anticipate the potential risks in this scenario, to me, appears totally irresponsible.

I think he was suitably punished and we can all agree he won't do that again.

Funnily enough whilst out running today in a group we were passed by a large Rangerover that must have been fair shifting (I'd estimated at least 80) under very similar conditions - there was even a car sat waiting patiently for it to pass before turning right.
Did make me ponder just how much damage a 3 tonne vehicle would do in similar circumstances. Makes riding a m/cycle at 100mph seem positively social.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the subject of punishment for driving at 100mph, there's as case reported here involving three drivers doing a ton. (Apologies if anybody else has already linked to this on the forum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-29203943

One has already been fined a grand (no mention of disqualification) but another has been warned that he faces going down.

The sheriff said: "Any person who drives like this with young children in the car like you did faces potential imprisonment."

While I can see that it's wrong to jeopardise children in a car like this, the implication here is that risks to anybody else are somehow less reprehensible.