Sheep playing chicken

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
David_S

Sheep playing chicken

Post by David_S »

Has anyone else noted the propensity of sheep at the last minute to bolt in front of an approaching cyclist? Today on open moorland roads sheep grazing on left and right verges, and of course those to the left bolt to the right, and those on the right to the left. Fortunately living in Cumbria I am well versed in their crazy antics and slowed accordingly. Goodness knows the outcome if faced with a less cautious cyclist. What's really annoying is when struggling on upward slopes instead of bolting they saunter across the road in close proximity to your front wheel. Just taunting me !!
Last edited by David_S on 5 Sep 2014, 9:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sales

Re: Sheep playing chicken

Post by Mike Sales »

I find it quite annoying when I am grinding up a long Welsh climb and the stupid sheep begins running ahead of me. I worry that I may drive it miles into the next valley, far from its home turf. So I attempt to raise my speed above the sheep's. Alas, I do not have the uphill accelaration of a Spanish pro, and the sheep easily stays ahead. The only hope is a widening in the road, perhaps a gateway, so that the brute dives to the side as I give it my all to get ahead of her.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
David_S

Post by David_S »

That happens to me too, but I don't worry. They can take care of themselves more than adequately.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was up on Dartmoor a few days ago, and it was a big brown cow that wandered onto the road in front of me. She just stopped in the middle of the road, looked around, then carried on her way.

There's a 40mph speed limit up there, and you can see why.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've always assumed that sheep can see that cyclists are people ie instinctively treated as a threat, especially when close by, but that they see and interpret motor traffic differently.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I come across sheep and cattle quite frequently when riding through common land. None are bothered by me even though they may be only a foot or two away from me. I simply talk to them as I approach.

Horses are different. I used to live in the New Forest and I am pretty sure that the ponies look out for you. You can almost imagine the leader saying "ok lads, here's one. Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Wait- wait. NOW step out".
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

thirdcrank wrote:I've always assumed that sheep can see that cyclists are people ie instinctively treated as a threat, especially when close by, but that they see and interpret motor traffic differently.
On the busier open moor roads, the sheep seem anything but sheepish, even with us cyclists. Give em a few feet distance and they'll just continue chewin the cud.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A friend of mine was talking to his daughter when she was learning to drive. He made a statement that has stuck in my brain since.

If the sheep are eating, they'll stay eating.
If the sheep aren't eating, they could cross the road in front of you.
Mick F. Cornwall
David_S

Post by David_S »

My sheep were eating on either side of the road. They still bolted across the road as I approached. Fortunately I had the good sense to anticipate their erratic behaviour. Even more oddly they did they same thing, well sauntered rather than bolted, when I was heading uphill at 4mph. I could hardly be accused of startling them at that speed! Mind you herdwicks are an odd breed
hufty

Post by hufty »

When sheep think they are in danger their priority is usually to get back to the herd, which minimises their individual chance of being picked off. But they are stupid too.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

The secret to remember is that running in straight lines is a great defense mechanism for getting away, provided your a sheep running from a predator.
So if the sheeps running down the road, slow down, and let it think your tired. Then it'll dodge off to the left or right. Understanding any kind of behaviour is always useful :D
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

thirdcrank wrote:I've always assumed that sheep can see that cyclists are people ie instinctively treated as a threat, especially when close by, but that they see and interpret motor traffic differently.

How they react is related to the speed of the thing they are reacting to. Nature has programmed them to react only to things moving at the speeds that predators go and motor traffic tends to go a lot faster than that so typically gets ignored. Slow down in your car and they will react. Go fast enough on your bike and they'll ignore you.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

tatanab wrote:Horses are different. I used to live in the New Forest and I am pretty sure that the ponies look out for you. You can almost imagine the leader saying "ok lads, here's one. Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Wait- wait. NOW step out".

Don't they just!!!