RIP Etrex 20

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MickTheCyclist

RIP Etrex 20

Post by MickTheCyclist »

So I'm cycling to work this morning along a shared cycle path beside very busy 4 lane road full of 50mph commuter traffic. I hit a small bump and I hear the unmistakeable sound of something falling off. I stop to check the bike. My etrex 20 has jumped out of its mount and vanished.

I backtrack and see it lying in the middle of one of the lanes. It looks undamaged. But the next wave of traffic is coming from the lights so no time to fetch it. It's right in the centre so the first 20 or 30 cars pass over but don't touch. Then the blast of a passing bus moves it and I watch helplessly as the next few cars smash it into small pieces.

Just thought I'd share the pain.
Vantage

Re: RIP Etrex 20

Post by Vantage »

Ouch!
My condolences. Although tbh, there have been times when I felt like deliberately chucking mine under a bus :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

What I hate in these sort of situations is that it is normally the very last car of a wave that runs over whatever it was you were about to try and retrieve.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Didn't you find the lanyard hitch on the eTrex?

Its the two holes at the bottom end.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Aaaargh. Mine did the same earlier this year, but fortunately bounced into the long roadside grass and was OK. They're really pretty tough: I was halfway down a fastish hill at the time and it didn't hit the tarmac gently.

I rode with a lanyard for a while but it was a pain in the butt so I now use a strip of Black Tape (blesséd be His Holy Name) round the end that says Garmin to fasten it to the mount, which also takes care of the vibration problem. I park the tape on the crossbar between rides (I'm not half Scots for nothing).
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've done the "stand in road and put one hand out to stop traffic" to collect an item before - takes rather a high degree of confidence though...

RIP...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Did you recover your maps?

TBH, when mine took a purler my first thought was "now I can buy a 30". Shameful, innit? It turned up after half an hour hoking through the grass.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OUCH! :shock:

My 705 flew off its mount once, but the road was empty except for me ........... thank goodness. It only suffered a small scratch on the top corner.

I use a Montana now, and the bike mount is much more substantial than the Edge sort, plus mine can be locked in place so it can't be stolen if I park my bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Audax67 wrote:TBH, when mine took a purler my first thought was "now I can buy a 30". Shameful, innit?

I do the exact same thing. Never worry about stuff getting stolen or damaged. Just the excuse I need to go shopping :oops:
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Audax67 wrote:Did you recover your maps?

No there was nothing on it I didn't have backed up on computer.

'Hoking' :D From Norn Iron then?
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Ayesha wrote:Didn't you find the lanyard hitch on the eTrex?

Its the two holes at the bottom end.

I thought they were there to save weight :wink:
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Here's one Mrs F prepared earlier.

squashed-bryton.jpg