Advice on route in Bristol

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Advice on route in Bristol

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Can anyone help? With route to Southmead Hospital from Cribbs Causeway. Have an appointment and we were planning to park at CC and cycle in, as not been before and told parking is rubbish. Doesn't look like there is any sort of reasonable route, so any ideas welcome. Looks like main roads only, doesn't bother me, but, Mrs is not happy!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
simonineaston

Re: Advice on route in Bristol

Post by simonineaston »

cycle.travel suggests:
cycle.travel route
cycle.travel route

I can't see any cycle lanes between the A4018 on the west and the A38 on the east...
Howz about choosing somewhere else to park... try scrutinising nearby roads with Streetview, or else try the roads alongside The Downs which is about 3 miles away - that's all I can think of after most of a nice bottle of Picpoul de Pinet wiv me tea! :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There isn't an easy direct route from CC to Southmead Hospital. If you were trying it in the past you could have ridden through Charlton village. A flatter route would be from CC to A38 via Hayes Way then up A38 to Southmead hospital via Filton Hill, the other route suggested has more climbing.
If your appointment is in the new Brunel Building then the cycleracks outside are in short supply, I had a 09:15 appointment and only managed to get a 'parking space' cause somebody left as I was looking for alternative places to lock my bike up.
whoof

Post by whoof »

It's one of those things, I wouldn't start from there.
You could try parking at the Abbey retail park (not sure how long your apppointment is or how often they check parking) and then riding from there past Filton Abbey wood (traffic free), 8th Ave, 9th Ave, Braemar Ave, and Kenmore Drive.
See link to map of North Bristol
http://www.betterbybike.info/maps/cycle-maps/bristol