Can I have a moan?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Re: Can I have a moan?

Post by Postboxer »

It makes them easier to spot if no one else should be there.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It is ironic that the problems associated with public access can often be reduced or at least diluted by allowing greater public access.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Who's going to spot them? This isn't continuously worked land we're talking about, else its worker would be intervening with the flytippers and so on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote:Who's going to spot them? This isn't continuously worked land we're talking about, else its worker would be intervening with the flytippers and so on.

But locking gates can lessen the problem, especially if it means a flytipper can no longer reverse say 10m into an obscure bit of woodland, they are less likely to flytip in front of the gate in case they are seen, even if it is just by passing traffic. And it is continuously worked land, it just is not continuously overseen. Or do you expect farmers to watch wheat ripening or foresters to watch trees growing?

Bicycler wrote:It is ironic that the problems associated with public access can often be reduced or at least diluted by allowing greater public access.

Although I recognise that more presence can mean fewer nefarious activities going on I'm not sure it works where there are very few people anyway and can cause other problems. I am aware of an instance where creating a permissive path and a bird hide over a pond led to the hide being used as a location for drinking and drug taking. It was a well-intentioned idea but the hide was soon removed.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:I suspect that if somebody parks a car without permission on somebody else's private drive while they go on holiday, then it must be a trespass....

When you park for e.g. more than 3 hrs in a supermarket car park you are in some respects doing the same thing i.e. leaving your car on private property (and causing no real inconvenience). Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

Ian

I don't think they can, they certainly can't clamp or tow and whilst the private companies can send you demands everyone I know who complained to the supermarket had them rescinded and those that ignored them heard nothing more.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:When you park for e.g. more than 3 hrs in a supermarket car park you are in some respects doing the same thing i.e. leaving your car on private property (and causing no real inconvenience). Yet the supermarkets seem to get away with charging/fining you, clamping your car, towing your car, etc. So, other than a few inconspicuous signs, do the supermarkets (with car parks) have more rights than a private individual (driveway)?

But surely this is an inconvenience to their business model, therefore turnover, therefore profitability, therefore staff employed? If the supermarket has built a car park and expects to have a throughput of 1,000 cars a day because there is a continuous rotation of spaces available then having people parked in there for 8 hours is surely an inconvenience? Towing away is probably OTT because towing is really for a safety or accessibility issue but fines? - definitely.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

My take is: running a car costs money, as I am fully aware! The cost of parking ought to be simply factored into that running cost. Speaking for myself, when I need to park somewhere, I always look for a car park or somewhere where I can park legally. And pay the charge as appropriate. And walk a little extra distance if I need to.

And I've never had a parking ticket in my entire life.

Unsurprisingly, the cost of parking is often something I consider when deciding whether to go somewhere by car, by bike, or by train :wink: .

So why do some petrolheads have such a problem?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:And I've never had a parking ticket in my entire life.

I've had two.
One because I believed a female in her estimate of how long her shopping trip would take.
The other when I arrived at the payment meter at 7:27, there was free parking from 8 onwards so I bought half an hour. Turns out the traffic warden figured I was extracting the urine and issued me a ticket at 7:59...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's new legislation - although it's dated 2012, it came into force more recently. It bans clamping etc and replaces it with a régime of penalty enforcement. It may be that fly-by-nights with vehicles not registered in their name can ignore this but the rest of might not be so lucky. The detection tends to be electronic - and we all know how much more effective that can be than fallible humans. (Have a look on the way in and out and a lot of these places now have a twin camera system.)

Anecdotes are nothing more than that and they may well pre-date the new regs. When it's somewhere like a supermarket car park and there's a customer complaint, goodwill can cloud the issue. Try overstaying somewhere like the car park on a motorway service area or an airport and see how much leeway you get then.

I'm just like 661- Pete when it comes to obeying parking rules. I try to be meticulous and I'm regarded by some in my family as a PITA for being like that, but that's the way I am.