When its OK to drop a cycling buddy

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Re: When its OK to drop a cycling buddy

Post by Mark1978 »

But you are certainly right that when you're riding with someone you feel obligated to keep up and not take as many breaks as you otherwise would.
PH

Post by PH »

If I plan a ride with someone or a group, it's a shared experience, set off together ride together finish/or not together, that's it, that's the plan and it's understood.
it's different on an Audax, where I've teamed up with people on the road, even where it's the same people as above, we're all on our own ride even though it's the same ride we're on. This also seems to be well understood as well.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I ride alone partly because I don't want to hold other people up if I suddenly tire, or simply aren't able to keep up with them. But if I was walking with someone else, or a group (i have taken groups walking) as a leader I'd go at the speed of the slowest. But an audax, where time matters, it's a bit different, so if someone said 'leave me' I think it's a matter of respect to take them at their word. It's clear from posts here that slowing to stay with them puts them under pressure, and may even cause physical damage as well as discomfort. That's not doing anyone any favours.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Mark1978 wrote:But you are certainly right that when you're riding with someone you feel obligated to keep up and not take as many breaks as you otherwise would.

If you can’t shout to your ‘buddy’ “Hold on a bit. I’m getting knackered.”; he’s NOT a buddy.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I’ve been on an Audax with a group of riders and shouted “This is where I go a different way. See you at the finish.”
As long as they know where I’ve disappeared to, they’ll be fine.