Four 4x4's/SUV'S on a forty mile ride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LondonBikeCommuter

Re: Four 4x4's on a forty mile ride

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Flinders wrote:You seem to have completely missed the smileys in james01's post and the bit about being facetious. :cry:

I don't wish to be contentious but the smiley is somewhat passive aggressive (to use an ugly Americanism) and james01 admitted that he was only "being slightly facetious" [My highlight]

Anyway lets move on :D
MikeF

Re: Four 4x4's/SUV'S on a forty mile ride

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:MikeF
I too get grief from other vehicles but single out 4x4/SUV's as proportionally worse, which obviously is down to the drivers, one has to ask why that is?

What were you saying?!!! http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/Elderly-cyclists-seriously-hurt-collision-BMW/story-22820543-detail/story.html :( :( :evil:. It may have been a "60mph road", but that speed is too fast for these "S" bends which is approximately where the collision was according to the paper.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:
reohn2 wrote:MikeF
I too get grief from other vehicles but single out 4x4/SUV's as proportionally worse, which obviously is down to the drivers, one has to ask why that is?

What were you saying?!!! http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/Elderly-cyclists-seriously-hurt-collision-BMW/story-22820543-detail/story.html :( :( :evil:. It may have been a "60mph road", but that speed is too fast for these "S" bends which is approximately where the collision was according to the paper.

Whilst we don't know what speed the car was travelling or the cause of the incident I agree a 60mph limit on that road is too high.
I'm constantly surprised at some speed limits posted,though mainly they're too high there are some too low but to err on the low side can only help calm traffic .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

Is it just me, but the first line of the news article emphasises the 60 mph road bit.
It is almost blaming the 2 'veteran' cyclists for being on such a fast road?

Mark
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If one scrolls 180 degrees on the streetview a 50mph repeater sign is visible right in front, so it's not a NSL stretch.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:If one scrolls 180 degrees on the streetview a 50mph repeater sign is visible right in front, so it's not a NSL stretch.

Well spotted,I'd moved the cursor up and down that road but didn't see it :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:If one scrolls 180 degrees on the streetview a 50mph repeater sign is visible right in front, so it's not a NSL stretch.

Elementary dear boy, elementary :wink:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:

Yes it is 50mph, (paper wrong) which is still a bit fast in my view, but it's a limit not a target which many motorists seem to assume. The small side at the junction roads have NSL :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic. ... 1#p1380881

Just to show that there are lots of sensible responsible drivers around who condemn idiots who endanger cyclists here's a thread on another of the car forums I'm a member of.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bonefishblues wrote:http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143939&p=1380881#p1380881

Just to show that there are lots of sensible responsible drivers around who condemn idiots who endanger cyclists here's a thread on another of the car forums I'm a member of.

What's amazing about that is if I was that cyclist I'd have shrugged that off as a non-event! I've had them alongside and starting to pull in! So it's quite impressive that a car driver actually thinks anything is happening there.

(This morning I had a guy pull out of a road to my right turning right and slam on as he saw me, before waving me past, overtaking and turning right again just 50m further up - you'd have thought he'd have hung back out of embarrassment! However if I ever need any plastering doing PT Plastering of Warrington won't be getting my business.)