Four 4x4's/SUV'S on a forty mile ride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: Four 4x4's on a forty mile ride

Post by al_yrpal »

To make it clear I mean some ladies, and I agree about many young women, they seem scared to be over the wrong side and will often cut in sharply causing you to brake hard. Most ladies are very careful and courteous. Two months ago I got ditched by a blond in a 4wd. First time I have ever had such a problem. Drove off before I got her number.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
lisap

Post by lisap »

james01 wrote:
lisap wrote:I live in a very hilly place, my 4x4 is covered in mud from being on the farm every day AND when it snows I wouldn't get off my property without it.

:D

You could try walking :D . I'm being slightly facetious but the description of a farm or village being cut off is now used in the press simply when motor vehicles can't get through. It used to mean when people on foot couldn't get through - now that's what I call being really cut off :D .

I agree that being cut off and not getting out are very different and yes I could walk the 8 mile round trip to the farm but I chose to use a vehicle which is designed for the terrain and conditions. It's warmer and doesn't take as long :D
Si

Post by Si »

my 4x4 is covered in mud from being on the farm every day

Shush! Don't let on that you might be a farmer as well otherwise they really will stick the boot in :wink:
lisap

Post by lisap »

Thank goodness I'm not a farmer then.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

lisap wrote:Thank goodness I'm not a farmer then.

Phew that was close! :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Give women drivers, SUVs, 4X4s etc. a break, the real culprits for close passes (here in London) are buses, taxis and minicabs.
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

It's the SUV's and 4x4's towing that get me - they leave room with the vehicle but forget about the caravan/trailer behind! And don't start me on motor caravans (many with bikes on the back - you would think they would no better) - I once got clipped by a foot step that had not been retracted!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

lisap wrote:Oh dear, I own a horse, ride a bike, drive a 4x4 and I'm female. :oops:

There obviously no hope for me but in my defence I do not run cyclists off the road with my car, always pull over so other drivers can pass me on country lanes when on the bike and thank people when they slow down for me while I'm riding my young horse.

I live in a very hilly place, my 4x4 is covered in mud from being on the farm every day AND when it snows I wouldn't get off my property without it.

Am I excused :D

You're excused! :mrgreen:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

My OH, when living in London, wondered if there might be money in offering a service to SUV drivers of spraying a light mud layer on the sparkling vehicle to make it look like it had actually seen any mud, and thus confer streetcred to those buying SUVs who never went off-road but wanted to look like they'd 'been to their place down in the country for the weekend, darling'.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:My OH, when living in London, wondered if there might be money in offering a service to SUV drivers of spraying a light mud layer on the sparkling vehicle to make it look like it had actually seen any mud, and thus confer streetcred to those buying SUVs who never went off-road but wanted to look like they'd 'been to their place down in the country for the weekend, darling'.

Well it's funny you should mention that,tell your OH great minds think alike :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Honda CR -V (2012-)
Toyota RAV 4 (2013-)
Ford Kuga (2013-)
Nissan Qashqai (2007-2013)
Honda CR -V (2007-2012)
Lexus RX (2009-)
BMW X1 (2009-)
Toyota RAV 4 (2006-2013)
Skoda Yeti (2009-)
Audi Q3 (2011-)
Volkswagen Tiguan (2008-)
BMW X3 (2010-)
Honda CR -V (2007-2012)
Nissan Qashqai (2007-2013)
Vauxhall Mokka (2012-)
BMW X5 (2007-2013)
Skoda Yeti (2009-)
Mazda CX-5 (2012-)
Hyundai ix35 (2010-)
Land Rover Freelander (2006-)
Kia Sportage (2010-)
Kia Sorento (2010-)
Land Rover Discovery 4 (2010-)
Volvo XC60 (2008-)
Nissan Qashqai+2 (2008-2013)
Volvo XC70 (2007-)
Nissan X-Trail (2007-2014)
Audi Q5 (2008-)
Ford Kuga (2008-2012)
Volvo XC90 (2002-)
Mitsubishi AS X (2010-)
LR Range Rover Evoque (2011-)
Hyundai Santa Fe (2006-2012)
Vauxhall Antara (2007-)

Here's a list of recent 4x4 and SUVs.

They are in 'Reliability order'. Most at the top. Least at the bottom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:Well it's funny you should mention that,tell your OH great minds think alike :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it an episode of Top Gear where Jeremy C asked 4x4 owners driving around London why they had one and most claimed to be farmers or 'country folk' (Which I assumed meant that they live in the Surrey suburbs).

Made me laugh anyway the idea of all these 'country folk' taking a day out from country matters to drive their Sunday best vehicles around the nations capital - day after day after day after...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Well it's funny you should mention that,tell your OH great minds think alike :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it an episode of Top Gear where Jeremy C asked 4x4 owners driving around London why they had one and most claimed to be farmers or 'country folk' (Which I assumed meant that they live in the Surrey suburbs).

Made me laugh anyway the idea of all these 'country folk' taking a day out from country matters to drive their Sunday best vehicles around the nations capital - day after day after day after...

It's not just the in the capital,Wigan surrounding environs has it's fair share idiotic 4x4 owner/drivers :?
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Niether of my 4X4's are on the list :?

I dont neccesarily think 4 X 4's are the worst drivers its just that they are big and bold and can easily be more intimidating :?:
And you remember them, sounds good too even more dramatic "Big 4 X 4 with a *!^%$ driving it" or "a Golf" which sounds more dangerous..............
You cant argue with a close pass by an artic, when the trailer starts to close you out and you have to brake not to be crushed.

On my current training course it has a very steep lane, (barely enough room for a car and a cycle at the same time) and I have had at least three or more 4 X 4's pass me head on - they pulled right in to the hedge brushing the bank with their wheels and I had to brush the hedge with my arm and handlebars too.
But we pass slowly and I give a nod and a thumb and all is well.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Niether of my 4X4's are on the list :?

I dont neccesarily think 4 X 4's are the worst drivers its just that they are big and bold and can easily be more intimidating :?:
And you remember them, sounds good too even more dramatic "Big 4 X 4 with a *!^%$ driving it" or "a Golf" which sounds more dangerous..............

No it's not that at all,it's the proportion of 4x4's(SUV's) for their total number that's the problem.
You cant argue with a close pass by an artic, when the trailer starts to close you out and you have to brake not to be crushed.

That is such a rare occasion I can't remember the last time it happened,in fact I find HGV drivers,and particularly artics to be very courteous when I'm cycling.

On my current training course it has a very steep lane, (barely enough room for a car and a cycle at the same time) and I have had at least three or more 4 X 4's pass me head on - they pulled right in to the hedge brushing the bank with their wheels and I had to brush the hedge with my arm and handlebars too.
But we pass slowly and I give a nod and a thumb and all is well.

Without doubt I've had some extremely courteous 4x4(SUV)drivers when cycling,but I've been slated elsewhere on here for saying what I have,even accused of being jealous of 4x4(SUV) owners.Those peoples accusations couldn't be further from the truth.
The fact remains proportionally 4x4(SUV) drivers are worse than others when I'm cycling.
W H Auden