Garmin Edge GPS

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Garmin Edge GPS

Post by [XAP]Bob »

On the 605 I have (basically a 705 without the barometric altimeter) I loaded a GPX file, and it followed the pink line whilst giving me appropriate directions.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, my 705 would do similarly and faithfully plus or minus the mapping. Sometimes the map was wrong.
I did have a thread on here some years ago about "missing bits" on Garmin routing even though the internal map was appearing ok.

My Montana does what it wants. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I got some comedy directions (continue right) when there wasn't a junction or other road for miles, but nothing missing, or wrong...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Missing bit I remember was Navidale north of Helmsdale on the A9.
I raised this some years ago, but a search doesn't find the thread because it's prior to the "new" forum.

The thread went on a bit, and other folk found more bits missing. No doubt Garmin have sorted all this by now, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Mick F. Cornwall
c53204

Post by c53204 »

I almost bought a Garming Touring Plus. Then found out about an App for my Samsung Note 3 - Viewranger. Can creat routes on the phone or website and sync them - with options for lot's of different maps OS 1:25000, 1:50000, etc.

Have it in a £5 waterproof holder on bars and powered from an extra battery - get about 8 hours with screen on all the time. The bigger screen 5.7" suits my 59yr old eyes better too.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Missing bit I remember was Navidale north of Helmsdale on the A9.
I raised this some years ago, but a search doesn't find the thread because it's prior to the "new" forum.

The thread went on a bit, and other folk found more bits missing. No doubt Garmin have sorted all this by now, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ah - I use OSM, so missing things can get filled in pretty quickly.

Of course that doesn't help the first person to use them, but it does help the next person...
loafer

Post by loafer »