3rd time unlucky

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
blinkered

3rd time unlucky

Post by blinkered »

I started a new job recently and have ridden in 3 times so far. I have been visited by the P******* fairy on all 3 occassions! I had one visit in 2+ years at my last job :(

So does anyone know of a source where I can bulk buy decent quality inner tube patches?

... I will also change my tyres :)
ArMoRothair

Re: 3rd time unlucky

Post by ArMoRothair »

blinkered wrote:

That's the first thing I would do.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

blinkered wrote:I started a new job recently and have ridden in 3 times so far. I have been visited by the P******* fairy on all 3 occassions! I had one visit in 2+ years at my last job :(

So does anyone know of a source where I can bulk buy decent quality inner tube patches?

i always buy these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Continen ... 53e77a3ee4
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

blinkered wrote:... I will also change my tyres :)

I had a puncture on my way home last winter, changed it by side of the road in the dark (ish). Got about half way home after that and got another puncture, so had to walk (no patches, no second spare tube). Changed it at home the next day. Tyre worn almost completely through.

If you get a series of punctures, it's either your tyre or else you are dangerously attracted to all those glittery bits on the road... :wink:
blinkered

Post by blinkered »

brooksby wrote:... or else you are dangerously attracted to all those glittery bits on the road... :wink:

I always thought those shiny bits should be closely examined :o maybe that's where I am going wrong.

I've been using gatorskins and maybe these have done more miles than I thought but they don't look too bad. Anyhow I will be changing them as I have a spare set lying around.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Also check for other causes, such as low tyre pressure or bad rim tape.

I buy REMA TIP TOP F0 patches (16 mm diameter, aimed at road bikes). I think they come in packs of 10, which is bulk enough for me, and they are cheap enough that the price doesn’t matter much. I think I got my last set from Rose Bikes in Germany, which is a useful shop for ordering a bunch of small bits and pieces you’ve been meaning to pick up, since it seems to stock everything under the sun (e.g. Shimano Nexus rear sprockets in a variety of sizes).
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

OnYourRight wrote:I buy REMA TIP TOP F0 patches.

I'm another buyer of F0 patches for my 25c tubes, anything else is too big.
My last roadside repair(s) were caused by a thorn I picked up 2 miles previously, felt the tyre going down and nearly made it to the railway station to catch the train home but missed it so stopped at a bus stop to change the tube but didn't fully check the tyre so had to replace the tube a mile later but had the tyre off the rim and inside out, an advantage of folding tyres. Found the thorn and went on my way some 20 minutes later than my normal schedule.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

You could also check the route of your commute for debris. Next to where I used to work was a scrap yard, there was a lot of debris along that road, occasionally there'd be pick-ups and vans parked with people stripping things down before going in to the scrap yard, along with lots of small bits that may have just fallen off trucks going into the scrap yard. Perhaps somewhere on your new commute has a similar problem, or even a higher concentration of thorns. Or just a coincidence?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

old inner tubes...free and ALWAYS work, rub down with sandpaper and jobs a good un.
Being doing this for years and they've never failed, it's how you affix/glue that has more bearing.

I've just had two punctures in quick sucession..loads of tread on the tyre but the carcass had split in a couple of places near the cosmetic channels..not impressed.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Tonyf33 wrote:I've just had two punctures in quick sucession..loads of tread on the tyre but the carcass had split in a couple of places near the cosmetic channels..not impressed.

What tyre model?
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

OnYourRight wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:I've just had two punctures in quick sucession..loads of tread on the tyre but the carcass had split in a couple of places near the cosmetic channels..not impressed.

What tyre model?

they don't make them anymore
32mm Specialized Borough CX Pro folder, and tbh, I think I'm being stupid/unrealistic.
These are amazing tyres, they're supple, comfy, very fast rolling & offer very decent levels of puncture protection. I have done a few thousand fairly heavy duty miles on it (I'm over a 100kg and load up regularly) and with it being on the rear more so, closer inspection shows the area to be a bit thinner/worn more than the rest, probably caused by a back wheel skid as I've had a few here and there (sometimes because I could..lol). The first opuncture looks to have been caused by a large sharp thing right in the centre of the tread away from the affected area, I'll have to check the puncture area on the replacement tube to see if the thinned area is at fault. My immediate thought looking at it was that it was..however now I'm not 100% sure. In any case though it has some meat left it is beginning to wear a bit now so I've swapped it.
it's a fairly lightweight tyre for its type at 365g so I've had my monies worth, guess you just always want to get more, I've got 3 on the shelf anyway and I use a 25mm on the front so I'm good for a while yet..just annoying when you get a a couple of punctures in quick succession.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've tried the making patches from old inner tubes but in my experience its been a bit unpredictable. Despite careful preparation the repairs have all failed within 12 months.

How do you prep yours Tony ?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

rjb wrote:I've tried the making patches from old inner tubes but in my experience its been a bit unpredictable. Despite careful preparation the repairs have all failed within 12 months.

How do you prep yours Tony ?

I cut the shape as required making sure to use the 'inside' bit of the donor tube as the contact as it'll have the curve naturally on it so sits much better than a patch and obviously when inflated fully continues to be of further benefit. I use a fairly fine sandpaper to rub the contact which gets rid of that powder that they have. I then scuff up the contact area around the puncture.
Apply the glue in an area slightly bigger than the patch, leave to dry for a few seconds then apply the patch. I always ensure the tube has next to no air at all in it by squeezing beforehand, that way when I put the tube between two heavy books (or the kitchen worktop and a heavy book) I know I'll get the best/flattest compression.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hi Tony,
Do you put the rubber solution on the patch and the tube?
I normally wait until i have a couple of tubes to repair then use a drum sander in a secure drill to get a good clean. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D