Hand signals on bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honwal

Hand signals on bike

Post by honwal »

The wife and I went out for ride earlier to-night, with view to have fish and chips after ten mile ride, just as we were coming into village there were parked cars on left and right, came into overtaking position wifey said car on your tail, so right hand turn coming up still in middle of road for turn hand signal in plenty of time, then a left hander straight away signalled straight after making turn, then said car let go with horn, what did I do wrong, the guy in the chip shop said made in then,? wont say what wifey said :)

as a foot note how many cyclist use hand signals
drossall

Re: Hand signals on bike

Post by drossall »

All cyclists should use hand signals.

It's hard to make out exactly what happened in your case, but some motorists are just impatient, and believe that cyclists should keep out of their way. If you moved out to go round a car, with plenty of warning, but the car behind needed as a result to slow down, you may have upset the driver.

If, again, you gave plenty of warning, however, you were well within your rights.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Some drivers simply object to any occasion when they can't immediately pass a cyclist. If you were riding further out in order to avoid being doored, this is another thing that most drivers do not understand.

As for signals, I always use them where there is somebody who could benefit. However, in Cyclecraft which is the approved text Bikeability for cycle training, John Franklin differentiates between signals which are necessary for safety and those which are merely a courtesy.
Courtesy signals cater for those circumstances when, alas, signalling can impair rather than enhance your safety

He cites the example of a signalling a left turn only for the (also left turning) driver to choose to overtake at the junction in order to be in front of the cyclist. Whilst I have encountered this behaviour, I think it is uncommon enough for me to signal for the benefit of those around me. Of course there also situations where it may be dangerous to signal, such as when turning sharply, where there is a severe camber or gradient.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I try and use hand signals at any time where I don't know that the motorist following me can read minds :lol:

Don't use them if it can cause confusion, or if it will impair your other necessary activities (for example, a downhill followed by a left turn into a junction where there are always cars waiting - I gave up and found another route: the cars waiting were ticked off that I hadn't indicated to turn into the junction, but I hadn't indicated because my hands were otherwise engaged, er, braking so I could make the turn).
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Generally only signal right
boliston

Post by boliston »

I tend to only signal where there will be some sort of benefit - for example I will signal left if a car is waiting to turn out of the same road BUT if there is a car close behind me there is no way I would signal left as there is a high risk of being overtaken and "left hooked" as a result of signalling.

Another time when signalling left almost got me killed was when an oncoming vehicle was waiting to turn right into the same road that i was turning left into so I will NEVER signal left in this type of situation as the risk is simply too high.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, I'd also not signal in these situations. It's dangerous to do so.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I'm another who indicates when there's a benefit otherwise doesn't.

Very rare I'll indicate left and whilst I indicate right it's pretty much universally ignored by the following drivers any way.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I indicate right and left
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When being followed down a single track road I will often indicate left or right when getting near a passing place where I intend to pull into. Idea being to let the following vehicle know I have spotted them and intend to pull over and that they don't need to push/squeeze past.

Ian
honwal

Post by honwal »

I am in the signal when it benefits camp,
just as a follow on from this, they say truth is stranger than fiction, me and the missus were on another ride out and had to do a left right turn, signalled to turn right on hill and got overtaken by car who believe it or not followed us out of junction, :shock:
Si

Post by Si »

yakdiver wrote:I indicate right and left

Bet that confuses them :lol:
<sorry>
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Si wrote:
yakdiver wrote:I indicate right and left

Bet that confuses them :lol:
<sorry>

That's probably the safest thing!
Si

Post by Si »

I tend to signal when I need to, but also remember that it's not just cars that I'm signalling to. For instance, a left turn on a car-less road might also need a signal if there is a ped about to cross the road I'm going into. As some have said, on some lefts I deliberately don't signal as I don't want to invite a driver to go for the gap.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Si wrote: For instance, a left turn on a car-less road might also need a signal if there is a ped about to cross the road I'm going into.

Shouldn't you give way to the ped?
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.