You Are A Bunch of Frauds

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
puffin

You Are A Bunch of Frauds

Post by puffin »

Ha! I've had my suspicions for a while, but have bit my lip and got on with hauling my 1990's Galaxy round this great country. Oh yes, for a long time I have been wooshed past by "all-heart-and-lung-lycra-clad" cyclists, and by old men who wished me well and rotund people who grunted a greeting as they out paced me.

Well today, ladies and gentlemen, I took out my (entry level) road bike, purchased recently from the Ebay emporium, for a simple test ride. Let the numbers speak for themselves. This morning on the Galaxy a circuit took me 24 mins 10 secs, and this was near my PB. This afternoon I take out the Vanquish Plus on the same circuit, the bike is not set up right for me, I find it very different to handle than the longer-coupled Galaxy, but nonetheless my time for the same circuit is a new PB of 22mins 50 secs. Hmmmm.

Joking aside, the Vanquish handles very differently, it is very responsive and does not like sharp movements of the handlebars. My arms and shoulders were quite tired because of the more head down position. And here's the rub, I didn't enjoy riding it as much as the Galaxy, I didn't get to see as much of my surroundings as I cycled.
mercalia

Re: You Are A Bunch of Frauds

Post by mercalia »

hmm a gain of 1 minute not a lot?
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'll take anything :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What's the fraud?

you've gone a bit quicker, but even over a short ride can see that the comfort is compromised...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

[XAP]Bob wrote:What's the fraud?

you've gone a bit quicker, but even over a short ride can see that the comfort is compromised...

Methinks Puffin is 'avin a bit of a larf...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Your dropped bars may be a bit low for non-racing. I find that having the cross-bar/stem-top at about saddle height is a nice compromise between comfort and speed. If I'm not in a hurry I spend more time riding "on the hoods" than "on the drops. This and other adjustments to your riding position may achieve the right compromise for you. Spending more time on the new bike is likely to help as well.
Graham

Post by Graham »

New toys are also a subtle motivation.
Last edited by Graham on 22 Aug 2014, 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: AT last I understand the title.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

The morning ride acted as your warm-up.
There's NO big surprise.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

What tyres do the two bikes have?

The Galaxy with its higher bars and all its touring accoutrements will not be as aerodynamic, and that may add up to something worth talking about over a fast 20-minute ride.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi Onyeright
The Galaxy has Schwabe Marathon Plus, the Vanquish has very thin looking ones.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Graham wrote:PS. I don't understand to title ( even as a joke ). Please explain.

I understood it. :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Puffin
So a gain of around 5%(?)
Now take out the new steed for an all day ride and see if it's still 5% faster :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

puffin wrote:Hi Onyeright
The Galaxy has Schwabe Marathon Plus, the Vanquish has very thin looking ones.

Ah didn't spot that particualar anomaly,get thee to yonder place and treat the old Gal to a pair of these:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIRNDHYP ... lding-tyre
Ride,and then be amazed :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
puffin

Post by puffin »

Woah Rehon,
First off, I am not a real cyclist so have never changed a tyre. Never had a puncture to be honest. If I buy one of those tyres will I have to learn before long to fix a puncture?

I rode the new steed again today and am starting to understand the differences between road and touring bikes. One of them, as hinted, is comfort. Sheez the Vanquish is stiff. Its also very short coupled, frankly if it was a horse it would have been rapidly appearing at Tescos, so I cannot take my hands off to signal yet. Finally, comparing the graphs from the sat nav, it is not as fast going down hill.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

The first ride warmed your legs up, allowing you to go faster second time...