Giant Defy or TCR Composite range

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlastairS

Giant Defy or TCR Composite range

Post by AlastairS »

Do these bikes have a carbon frame ?
Tonyf33

Re: Giant Defy or TCR Composite range

Post by Tonyf33 »

Only the Defy Advanced has a carbon frame, not the std 'defy which is aluminium', the TCR again comes in a std 'TCR' frame and the higher specced/better frame (if you will) 'Advanced' model,
just have a look on the Giant website for the differences.
There are loads of models within the ranges to suit most pockets.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Hi , Thank you. Thought I was getting a carbon frame for a good price. Never mind. I think the Defy bikes are very popular?
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

They're very well regarded at entry level(although the tyres are terrible) and I've got plenty of mileage out of mine and if I was to get another non carbon bike i'd definitely stay with the Defy

Beyond entry level if I go for a carbon i'd probably stick with Defy although I would try others as well
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks Andy. There is too much choice IMO when trying to get a first road bike. I don't want to upgrade later, but want to choose a reasonably good bike, preferably Carbon.
I can test rides some bikes in my LBS , but others I can't and I suppose I will rule those ones out. So I am limiting myself to the big brands which may be fine, except they can cost more.

Rules out Chain Reaction bikes, Planetx, and Ribble.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Depends on your budget and what you want the bike to do for you.
I saw a NOS full carbon frame & forks on ebay go for £200, admittedly it was an awful colour (beige!) but I'd just bought a frame fairly recently otherwise I might have gone for it.
You can pick up some crazy second hand/barely used CF bikes and even some bikes that are lovely/rarely used that are very well specced for under £1k

If you're feeling brave you can get something like this.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-928-c ... 27e9a9bc03
light frame, kudos in the colour scheme and how many other people have one..certainly stand out in a club ride :D
Or a nice Colnago with 300 miles on it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-CLX-3 ... 233f62162d

Personally I plumbed for a KTM, unused 2nd rung pro team bikes that had being built up and sold through the UK distributor. Cost me £430 (with warranty for f&f), 1100g/60cm frame.
There are bargains to be had if you look around
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks for the tips Tony, I'll keep them in mind.
Current situation : I'll go to my LBS: try a trek, specialized, giant defy and a focus and see how I get on.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

AlastairS wrote:Do these bikes have a carbon frame ?

The TCR Composite range do indeed have carbon fibre frames, although they are not as light as the frames used in the TCR Advanced range. (Next up is Advanced SL.)

The Giant Defy Composite range are again carbon fibre framed bikes.

If you want to choose between the two the main difference is the Defy's taller head tube for a more upright riding position.