Shock finding: cycling causes weight loss

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: Shock finding: cycling causes weight loss

Post by al_yrpal »

Someones been reading my post. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=83294&hilit=cycling+diet

Weight loss is now 2 stone 10lbs. 4lbs to go!

Al

ps Its not rocket science is it?
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Gosh! Who would have guessed it, exercise and diet help you lose weight, well there. Is that why all the 'car drivers' I 'interact!' With are fat?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

"It's not rocket science."

It's rocket salad.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Gosh! Who would have guessed it, exercise and diet help you lose weight, well there.

Since I got back into cycling my wallet has lost a lot of weight :roll:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The trouble with these often garbled health reports about research findings which appear regularly in the Daily T is that you can never be sure of the methodology. The Daily T's report seems to be saying only that people who commute by car are fatter than those who don't. That might be because wealthy people are able both to buy cars and eat more. It might be that people who buy cars end up so poor that they can only afford junk food and so grow fat. Perhaps people who drive tend to be too stupid to ignore advice about the dangers of obesity. Perhaps the increase in people driving to work is broadly matched with a reduction in the number of people with heavy manual work.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Ayesha wrote:"It's not rocket science."

It's rocket salad.

Lettuce hope more people try it :wink:

I've been back on my bike for a couple of months now and have lost weight so fast that I need to buy new clothes and urgently need a new belt for my trousers as I've run out of holes. Chuffed.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
beardy

Post by beardy »

I often think that they are and have for a long time beeen looking at this the wrong way around.

Cycling doesnt achieve a "healthy weight" it is that a lower weight coincides with a healthier lifestyle.

It isnt the weight loss that does you good it is the exercise which does you good and at the same time causes weight loss.

I havent studied it but I would bet there is a stronger correlation to exercise and health than to weight and health, one problem being it is much easier to distort (lie about) your exercise levels.

Oh and my weight loss happened when I first started riding but the weight soon came back to stay.
Though I would surely have been some great obese lump by now if I hadnt continued riding.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Exercise is pretty poor for weight loss. It mostly just stimulates your appetite so that you eat more to compensate for the energy expenditure. My basis for this statement it twofold. Firstly, it's my personal experience over 30 years of cycling. Secondly, that is what published series find.
Now, what's wrong here?
The latest info is that what decides your weight is the body's homeostatic mechanisms to maintain a flow of fuel to the cells. What decides this is the level of insulin in the blood. What affects this is two things. The macronutrient (fat, carbs, protein) mixture you eat AND your genes.
If you are genetically insulin sensitive (you don't need a high level of insulin to drive sugar into your cells), you will remain thin no matter what your diet is. This is so for roughly 30% of the population.
If you are insulin resistant, the ready flow of fuel to your cells is impeded by insulin (above a certain level, insulin blocks the egress of fatty acids from fat stores) if you eat a high-carb diet, but is corrected if you eat low carb (how low depends on your genes). If you persist on the high carb diet, the insulin will stimulate your appetite until you reach a state of adiposity wherein there is readier diffusion of fatty acids out of fat cells, and you have your new steady state (fatter than if you didn't eat the carbs.). So for the insulin-resistant, your carb level titrates your weight. Sugar of course, is the real bad boy.

Anyone who wants to read all this stuff (it's not that easy to read for someone with no biological knowledge) the best book by far is Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories, called the Diet Delusion in the UK. It's the result of many years of research on his part.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Exercise is pretty poor for weight loss. It mostly just stimulates your appetite so that you eat more to compensate for the energy expenditure.

And yet there is a strong inverse correlation between levels of obesity and levels of active transportation (walking, cycling).
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

TonyR wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:Exercise is pretty poor for weight loss. It mostly just stimulates your appetite so that you eat more to compensate for the energy expenditure.

And yet there is a strong inverse correlation between levels of obesity and levels of active transportation (walking, cycling).

That is indeed true, Tony. But the reason is not what one intuitively thinks..

When you are obese, you are always hungry. That's due to biochemisty. The body tries to conserve calories, as the cells are hungry and it does this in two ways.
One, it reduces your metabolic rate. Two, it makes you lazy by some mysterious effect on the brain.
People are not fat because they're lazy. It's the other way round.
If you put them on a low carb diet, they erupt with energy. This is a constant finding.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Exercise is pretty poor for weight loss. It mostly just stimulates your appetite so that you eat more to compensate for the energy expenditure. My basis for this statement it twofold. Firstly, it's my personal experience over 30 years of cycling. Secondly, that is what published series find.

Anecdotally that's not what I find.

I go through periods of low levels of exercise, my weight usually moves up (around 13.5 stone). Then there'll be a shift, for example my commute will increase to near 30 miles a day, I'll eat like a pig and lose weight.
This year as part of my old age crisis I decided I wanted to break a 19 minute 5k, 40 minute 10k and 1h30 min half marathon (and get as close to a 3 hour marathon as I could) so I started running a lot more. Again weight falls off and I start to eat like a pig.

I'm sure it's more complex than that, but that's how it seems to work.
I would agree with the statement that people are lazy because they're fat and not the other way round, ime that seems to hold.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Profile.jpg

Some people do lose weight when they exercise and indeed I used to when I was a lot younger, but now don't.
However, overall, the effect is pretty poor, on average, in scientific trials..

The above photo shows me on the left, savagely fit inside the fat, in about 2008. Cycling 7000m per year.

In the middle and on the right, cycling a bit less but on much reduced carbs and most importantlly, not hungry at all.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
TonyR wrote:

That is indeed true, Tony. But the reason is not what one intuitively thinks..

When you are obese, you are always hungry. That's due to biochemisty. The body tries to conserve calories, as the cells are hungry and it does this in two ways.
One, it reduces your metabolic rate. Two, it makes you lazy by some mysterious effect on the brain.
People are not fat because they're lazy. It's the other way round.
If you put them on a low carb diet, they erupt with energy. This is a constant finding.

How did those people get obese? You make it sound as if they were born obese and have ever since been victims of the vicious cycle you outline.

As for the active transport correlation are you suggesting obese people avoid living in cities where people are active?
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

People get obese because of two things.

1. Their genes, specifically their degree of insulin resistance.
If however, they eat a low carb diet, which many populations did, or a low-glycaemic index diet (no refined carbs) and worked hard, they don't get obese.

2. A "modern" high carb diet.

In an insulin resistant person (it gradually gets worse as you age), the high carb intake generates hunger as the consequently high insulin blocks the use of fat. Fat can be used when there's more fat in the fat cells (i.e. the person is heavier). Eating this diet explains why some people are "normally" 17st on a "modern" diet and drop to say 12st on a low carb (50g carb or less) diet. It's really that simple.

All this calorie counting doesn't work long-term. True low-carb works very well, but it HAS to be low.
There are papers on-line comparing low carb v low fat and they define e.g. low carb as 45% of calories or less. This is nonsense. It does not work at that level. It has to be down around 10% or less.