Cycle Challenges

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
crossy

Cycle Challenges

Post by crossy »

Hi everyone do you set yourselves any cycling challenges if so what are they here are mine. 1. To beat or equal last years distance (2738 miles). 2. Long term is to do a birthday ride where I cycle my age every year (53 this year) but will get harder. 3. To cycle 3/8 of a mile 24 hours a day ie 9 miles a day. Adding an 1/8 every year until I reach 1mile for 24 hours a day. 4. I saw this on here but can't remember where to cycle 100 miles 100 times to get an age of 100 at the moment I've done 36 miles 36 times making me 36. There is a name for this but I can't remember what that it is either.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
LollyKat

Re: Cycle Challenges

Post by LollyKat »

crossy

Post by crossy »

Thank you
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

My challenge is to ride or walk to as many golden postboxes from London 2012 as I can, but still not done many, I live in Manchester so there's a good spread of them around me. My rules are I have to start at home and can only tick off one per ride.

I also think I'll work on my E number too, but probably start off aiming for 100 , so I'll go back over any rides I have logged/can remember, to try to work out what it is already, then try to increase it only by riding 100 miles at a time, that way I have the rest of my life to work on it and the E number will increase by 1 each 100 mile ride I do. As I understand it I don't have to do 99 rides of 99 miles before starting on 100 rides of 100 miles.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

My challenge is to ride my bike again. Due to two chronic illnesses I've not ridden for 18 months. I have psoriatic arthritis but with the help of medication it is pretty much under control to such a degree that two years ago I set my self the goal of completing the Dartmoor Classic two years ago. I did this but it's been down hill ever since.I ave finally been diagnosed with spinal stenosis, which many say can be helped by cycling but I have a complete weakness in my legs. Seeing a spinal surgeon on Wednesday so hope to get some help there. I'm hoping to be fit enough to ride our Club 100km Audax in April
'Kernow bys Vyken'
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My challenge remains what it was two years ago, to cycle 500 K (311 M) unsupported inside 24 hrs.
I might just get a couple more goes in before autumn, boring I know.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

To try to average 30 miles/day, ie approx. 10,000 miles per year.
For 1 one significant birthday year, to complete the Audax 2000km in y2k ie 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6oo km event totalling 2000kms.
1/2 way significant birthday, complete London Edinburgh London.
Update some of my time trial pb's inc update my club's 12 hour record, were this years specific goals.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Eddington is so very OCD, challenge for cycling should be to ride as often as you can and as long (age wise) as you can.
Anything else isn't really important
crossy

Post by crossy »

I'm also trying to get as many BCQ questions as I can. They only count for me if I ride from home to the question and back no other form of transport allowed.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I have a minimum target of 3,650 miles a year but usually nobble that easily (on track for 6,000 this year). However for Xmas 2012 I asked for the ‘UK’s 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs’ book. I started from scratch (i.e. not counting the ones I’d done already) and decided to do all of the climbs as part of proper rides, not just turning up in the car at the bottom of the hill, getting the bike out, riding up and riding back down.

In 2013 I rode seven of them, which I was OK with until I realised that at that pace it’d take me about fourteen years to do them all. More in fact because of course the seven I’d done were all close to home. Then (just to make things harder) in April this year my wife brightly came home from another shopping trip with a present - ‘Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs’ – arrgh – double the work, and it’s impossible to not consider both books at the same time so as to make logistical sense. I'm now at 9% of both books (i.e. eighteen hills done). Nearly all of them now require planning to get to and possibly overnight stays but getting out to those parts will be fun and, of course, at least I can partially blame the wife now...
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I used to tick off fells when I was a walker, so when I switched to cycling I thought I might use the YHA handbook as a tick list. It was easy to start with, every hostel could be a new one, but it starts getting harder and harder. Eventually you get to the point where there are a handful of hostels scattered far and wide, so you have to ride hundreds of miles just to do one. I rode 400 miles down to Cornwall once, but by the time I got there Lizard and Boscastle were both full. And that's before you take account of it being a moving target.

It got me riding in places that I wouldn't have dreamt of going before, though.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche