Road bike with mudguards

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Road bike with mudguards

Postby AlastairS » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi, I would like an endurance styled road bike for commuting and long day rides.
I would like it to take fixed mudguards so I can ride in winter too.
Budget - upto £700.
Hoped to buy a Carbon frame, but unlikely.
Any suggestions for possible bikes welcome.
THanks
AlastairS

Re: Road bike with mudguards

Postby TrevA » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Something like a Tifosi CK7 with a Sora groupset can be found within your budget:

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/5777/products ... -bike.aspx

There's a review of the bike here:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... ck7c-audax

Another option is the Ribble Wnter audax bike:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRW&bike=1

If you can stretch your budget a bit to £870, then you can have the Carbon Ribble wnter/audax bike:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRC&bike=1

The downside of the Ribbles is that the clearance is a bit tight so you may only be able to fit 23mm tyres with mudguards.
TrevA

Postby JamesE » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:23 pm

A couple of months back I bought a Pinnacle Dolomite 4 and so far it’s turned out to be a super little bike. Mountings for a rear rack as well as mudguards, and a (mostly) Tiagra drivetrain, currently marked down to £635.
JamesE

Postby mjr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm going to suggest the Foffa Urban 7 again. Steel, hub gears, maybe endurance. £500 but you'd have to buy mudguards to fit on its mounting points.
MJR, mostly pedalling a Revolution Streetfinder with 28mm DC front, 37mm M+ rear. Webmaster for hire, part of software.coop, so keen on practical sustainable transport. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
mjr

Postby barrym » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 pm

mjr wrote:I'm going to suggest the Foffa Urban 7 again. Steel, hub gears, maybe endurance. £500 but you'd have to buy mudguards to fit on its mounting points.

Are you just recommending based on spec or do you have one. Looks like good value at first glance.

Barry
--
Cheers
Barry
barrym

Postby keyboardmonkey » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Giant Defy with Defy-specific mudguards. You might pick up a Defy 2 if you shop around.
keyboardmonkey

Postby Shuggie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Kinesis?
Shuggie

Postby mjr » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:17 am

barrym wrote:
mjr wrote:I'm going to suggest the Foffa Urban 7 again. Steel, hub gears, maybe endurance. £500 but you'd have to buy mudguards to fit on its mounting points.

Are you just recommending based on spec or do you have one. Looks like good value at first glance.

Spec for that model and a local club rider has the fixed sibling that they seem happy with and that seems a very nice bike.
MJR, mostly pedalling a Revolution Streetfinder with 28mm DC front, 37mm M+ rear. Webmaster for hire, part of software.coop, so keen on practical sustainable transport. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
mjr

Postby barrym » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:23 am

mjr wrote:
barrym wrote:

Spec for that model and a local club rider has the fixed sibling that they seem happy with and that seems a very nice bike.

I must say I had never heard of them before, and it quite appeals to me. Apart that is from the 28mm tyres. You wouldn't happen to know if the rims will take wider and if there is sufficient clearance?

I may well call one of their dealers, see what they say.
--
Cheers
Barry
barrym

Postby foxyrider » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:13 am

Your best option will be the Defys - the frame is rated better than a lot of lower priced carbon, you can fit fixed guards and even a day rack - i wouldn't waste time looking further in that budget area.
Convention? what's that then?
foxyrider

Postby Milfred Cubicle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:16 pm

It's not quite what you're asking, but I've just a purchased a Boardman cx comp, for commuting, day rides and winter riding. With discount, it cost £550. I plan to buy some lighter road wheels and tyres, making it a 'do all' bike.
It has single front and dual rear eyelets, masses of tyre clearance, and so far I can't fault it. Yes, it's lower end running gear (sora, square taper cranks etc), but I'll replace with higher spec as they wear out. I think with a bit of internet searching, I'll still end up with a cracking bike and spare wheels for around £800.
Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Oops, just seen your budget again. I don't know if Trek still put eyelets on their frames, but the last one I owned should fit your needs, and should be well in budget. As far as I can remember, a lifetime warranty too.
Milfred Cubicle

Return to On the road