Bike Security Locked At Supermarket Bike Rack

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Bike Security Locked At Supermarket Bike Rack

Post by Psamathe »

My local supermarket has special bike locking place; made of 3" diam heavy steel tube. And I have used it without thought as it's dedicated for bike locking, big and strong.

Except today I looked closer and recon with an "off-the-shelf" torx spanner I could detach a locked bike in just a few minutes ! (and I'm no (ex/reformed/current) bike thief).

The fixed bars are made of heavy steel (3" tube); each position made of two lengths. Basically a bit like the scaffold railing but bigger. A wall mount on the wall out of which comes a steel tube (held in place by a torx screw clamping it in. Then out to a 90 degree bracket, again attached to the tubes with big torx grub screws. Then down to ground plate held in with a torx grub screw. (So two sides of a rectangle out from wall into ground).

So, with my (big) torx spanner I bend over a bike, undoo a grub screw, lift the tube and slide the bike lock off and carry bike off.

OK, I'd be in view of the petrol station, but it'd be so quick they would never notice; and if I wore a cycle helmet to make it look like I was meant to be at the bike stand ...

Not impressed given that t is a mainstream quality supermarket.

(Next visit I'll take some photos and probably e-mail the company ... and I predict the response "Thank you for the interest ... and we've never have any bikes nicked from there before").

Ian
thirdcrank

Re: Bike Security Locked At Supermarket Bike Rack

Post by thirdcrank »

This problem could be solved by whacking in some ball-bearings of a tight fitting size.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

or two minutes with a welding torch
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Si

Post by Si »

Bike racks? supermarket? don't bother worrying bout getting it nicked....no one will want to nick it because of all the returned shopping trolley dents in it :roll:
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe they should enlarge the trolley lockers they have near the supermarket cafe?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:Not impressed given that t is a mainstream quality supermarket.

Ian

Not Tesco then.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Just wait til there's no bikes attached to it then dismantle it and take them the bits.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The times I've taken Bike and Trailer to a supermarket, I've ignored the bike racks and locked my rig up to where I wanted it to be locked to. Bike racks are usually in the wrong place, designed badly, and a magnet for bike thieves.

Mainly, designed badly.
Mick F. Cornwall
climbingsidrat

Post by climbingsidrat »

Must admit i lock my bike right near the doors in full view of the cameras, assuming they work, of my local shop. Mainly because there artistically designed heavy duty bike rack is around the side out of sight. A thief could happily take a cutting torch to it and no one would notice.
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

I generally only use my nearly 20yo MTB when I'm going to lock it up somewhere risky, eg railway station for the day etc. When I toured in Spain this summer and I needed to lock my fully loaded touring bike outside a supermarket, I locked it somewhere in full view.

I think an easy place to steal a bike would be at one of these large sportives at the start. Loads of expensive bikes, people leaving them unattended while they register, use the loo etc. If you were dressed in appropriate gear you could easily make off with one and disappear in to the crowd. I hope I'm not giving any ideas to anyone!
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

One supermarket here has those ridiculous ones you can only lock the front wheel to. In a sane world, they'd be banned and anyone installing one would have their fingernails pulled off.
My doctors' surgery has them as well. 'Ride your bike to the surgery for your health' and then get high blood pressure because you're bike has just been stolen/pushed over bending the wheel'. :mrgreen:
climbingsidrat

Post by climbingsidrat »

There's a story floating around the web about a company in Toronto who have been cutting bike locks and taking the bikes that where chained to the pole outside there office building. While not directly comparable to this thread (on drunkcyclist on facebook) it makes you think about where we lock our bikes up when either the racks are unavailable or poorly placed.
oneten

Post by oneten »

In a privately owned shopping complex in Canterbury, you MUST lock your bike in the designated cycle parking area which is along a narrow alley conveniently out of sight of security guards and CCTV cameras. If you want to lock it up in a more open public place within the centre - tough -being sensible and security minded is not allowed.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

My local big supermarket has bike parking racks. They're not proper sheffield stands, but are thinner tubing, awkwardly shaped, bolted to the ground and far too close to the wall (you have to have your back wheel lifted up onto the low railing which surrounds the building (I think, to stop trollies running into the walls).

When originally put in, they were right next to an exit from the supermarket. Unfortunately, far too many people were (allegedly) nicking stuff and running out of said exit, so it was temporarily closed. That was about six years ago. So the racks were suddenly at the far end of the building from the entrance/exit.

I didn't go there for a while, but when I went back recently half the bike racks had disappeared, and a concession stand for a well know locksmiths has appeared where they used to be.

So, the official bike parking for this supermarket is now about eight badly designed and badly situated stands, at the far end of the building, in an alcove between a locksmiths and an unused exit lobby which doesn't appear to have CCTV coverage or line of sight.

Anyone would think that they didn't want cyclists to come to their shop...

(I live in Bristol, and the supermarket in question shall remain nameless but it begins with a 'T' and is near an Ikea)
mjr

Post by mjr »

They want you to ride in, like in Fareham: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... er2013.htm
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.