Wrong way up a one way street.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Wrong way up a one way street.

Post by kwackers »

Had my path blocked by a woman in a car yesterday whilst cycling the 'wrong' way down a one way street in Liverpool.
She launched a verbal tirade from the drivers door whilst her teenage son passenger hung out of the passenger window repeatedly shouting << the typical abuse of an ignorant fool >>.

I'd like to think they were embarrassed when they spotted the repeater 'cyclist contraflow' signs further up the road but somehow I doubt they see road signs at all.
I expect to see a "cyclist cycling the wrong way up a one way street" rant in a local rag at some point shortly.

(The whole thing made me laugh though - nobody parodies scousers better than scousers being themselves... :lol: )
ArMoRothair

Re: Wrong way up a one way street.

Post by ArMoRothair »

I actually had abuse from a cyclist who was cycling the wrong way in 'my' contra-flow cycle lane on a one-way street.

He purposely blocked me and shouted "one-way street mate". I informed him that it is two-way for bikes; the cyclist behind him concurred as well. Faced with two of us contradicting him he reluctantly moved out of my way and snarled "smart----". Had I not had my daughter on the back of my bike I would have exchanged some anglo-saxon words with him.

Just proves all cyclists are foul-mouthed :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Riding salmon-style in a cycle lane happens quite often where there's a lane on only one side. Some people see a cycle lane and think cycles have to be in it. Being stopped riding legitimately is a new one to me, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwackers wrote: ... I'd like to think they were embarrassed when they spotted the repeater 'cyclist contraflow' signs further up the road but somehow I doubt they see road signs at all. ...

The so-called "flying motor cycle" (no motor vehicles sign) is often cited as a widely misunderstood traffic sign whenever there's some sort of quiz. Ime, it's routinely ignored by drivers, but often pointed to as indicating a prohibition which includes cycling. I suspect that the cycle contraflow sign is even less widely understood. Having lost all my stuff about this when my last computer packed up, I'm not going to look it up again. IIRC it's a blue rectangular sign with a white arrow or arrows (depending on number of lanes) pointing up, and a cycle logo with an arrow pointing down.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

When that happened to me, I politely asked “Are you my mother?”
When the answer was no, I said “Then *** off then” and rode off.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Its surprising how many motorists impersonate a police officer by advising a cyclist where they should and shouldn’t ride a bike.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

One of the one-way streets in Bath's city centre was made two way for bikes early this year. The signing and markings were fairly subtle, which meant that anyone cycling contra-flow inevitably was held up by pedestrians crossing in front of them or drivers driving as if they didn't exist. The local cycling campaign group asked for the markings to be improved, which they were, and it is now very clear that cyclists can use it in both directions. Generally other road users behaviour has improved, but a few weeks ago I still had one car drive deliberately at me (it is a narrow road with parking on one side so little space to avoid oncoming cars), which I assume was the driver's way of saying that I shouldn't have been cycling in that direction. Or maybe he just didn't like me. :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:IIRC it's a blue rectangular sign with a white arrow or arrows (depending on number of lanes) pointing up, and a cycle logo with an arrow pointing down.

That's the one.
In the context of a one way street I think it's blindingly obvious what it means.

This particular street does have a problem with taxi's parking in the cycle lane too (in fact in this google street view you can see both the signs and the offending taxis: (Link-to-street-view).
Note the solid white line, yet do the taxis ever get ticketed? Nope.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not defending drivers who can't understand traffic signs, especially when they adopt varying interpretations to suit their own needs, but they are a reality. Here's something I prepared earlier.

viewtopic.php?p=188088#p188088
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm not defending drivers who can't understand traffic signs, especially when they adopt varying interpretations to suit their own needs, but they are a reality. Here's something I prepared earlier.

I actually don't think people see road signs. This I believe is particularly true if they're local to the roads.

My only regret is I didn't have a camera, it truly was comic genius and warrants a spot on Youtube. Had it been on the TV it would have been accused of stereotyping folk.
Adlopa

Post by Adlopa »

I was about to chime in to tell the OP that someone has already beaten you to it, but then I realised that would be hopelessly off-topic... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmcd0SBIq0
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It should be legal to ride your bike over the top of those taxis, need someone with the skill though, not safe to cross the solid white line into oncoming traffic, they'd soon stop parking there.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

I was recently blocked and got some abuse from a car driver for cycling the correct way up a one way street.
I got the abuse because they were driving the wrong way on that one way street and didn't like being informed, politely, it was one way.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Postboxer wrote:It should be legal to ride your bike over the top of those taxis, need someone with the skill though, not safe to cross the solid white line into oncoming traffic, they'd soon stop parking there.

Full winter tyres, danny macaskill
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I live in the central conservation area of a small market town. It is a one way street, but motorists quite often drive the wrong way down it. Some could be genuine mistakes, but I suspect many are because the correct route involves a slight detour. When leaving my house I always look both ways, just in case :shock:
Power to the pedals