More than a little red faced?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

More than a little red faced?

Post by Grandad »

thirdcrank

Re: More than a little red faced?

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's the earlier discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73582

The spectator turnout and impeccable organisation surely silenced the nay-sayers. Perhaps he'll be encouraged to get on his bike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

He won't be encouraged to do anything. He'll just bill a chauffeur to the council and/or carry on driving.
Minor inconvenience for a shade over a year, then he'll carry right back on.

</cynic>
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Grandad wrote:http://road.cc/content/news/125268-anti-cycling-dales-councillor-banned-drink-driving

More of a menace than the cyclists he castigated.

Oh the irony "He also ran a small business, offering health and safety advice to large construction sites."

What was that advice I wonder - don't go driving around on a bulldozer when you're <drunk>???
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

But by way of balance, the guy, presumably knowing he was over the limit, did stop to help a motorcyclist who had crashed.

One suspects many would have driven by in that scenario.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
Oh the irony "He also ran a small business, offering health and safety advice to large construction sites."

What was that advice I wonder - don't go driving around on a bulldozer when you're <drunk>???

I don't like to laugh at another's downfall but in this case I make an exception :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:But by way of balance, the guy, presumably knowing he was over the limit, did stop to help a motorcyclist who had crashed.

Nowhere in either report does it say he stopped at the scene of the crash to offer assistance,only that he stopped.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bonefishblues wrote:But by way of balance, the guy, presumably knowing he was over the limit, did stop to help a motorcyclist who had crashed.

I thought about that, but decided, on reflection, that it might well be the conduct of somebody who felt their condition was normal. I think that's part of the reason for drink awareness courses.

Although this is self-inflicted, I do feel rather sorry for him. OTOH, I'm very pleased that he was detected by a test required on suspicion of having alcohol in his blood, rather a test after he was involved in a crash. The police officer who decided to require the breath specimen may have saved lives, including that of this defendant.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:

I thought about that, but decided, on reflection, that it might well be the conduct of somebody who felt their condition was normal. I think that's part of the reason for drink awareness courses.

Although this is self-inflicted, I do feel rather sorry for him. OTOH, I'm very pleased that he was detected by a test required on suspicion of having alcohol in his blood, rather a test after he was involved in a crash. The police officer who decided to require the breath specimen may have saved lives, including that of this defendant.

Probably stopped out of self importance. The report does state that police were at the scene so his help wasn't really required.

Do you feel sorry for all breathalysed drivers who haven't caused an accident?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: ... Do you feel sorry for all breathalysed drivers who haven't caused an accident?

I feel sorry for lots of people who are prosecuted. As I said, in this case it was self-inflicted. As I also tried to make clear, the fact of his being detected before a possible crash is a good thing; I certainly didn't intend to imply it reflected well on the defendant or that he was somehow unlucky to be prosecuted. On the contrary, he was lucky to be bagged before he potentially caused a crash. "The primary object of an efficient police...."

I've loads of experience of breath testing: at the roadside, back at the nick and as a prosecutor. Barbara Castle's Road Safety Act came into force within days of my completing initial police training, at a time when there was open hostility to the breathalyser, especially among people who should have known better. I'm sure I've posted before that when all that controversy was current, a doctor on the telly said that a police officer using a breathalyser was a very good public health inspector and that was always a good personal motivation for me. (I nearly said "A strong influence." :oops: )

I'm not embarrassed by having what might seem a soft side.
Si

Post by Si »

Various posts removed. By all means please discuss the merits or not of breath testing, etc but please try to steer clear from casting aspersions on other posters' characters.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:

Nowhere in either report does it say he stopped at the scene of the crash to offer assistance,only that he stopped.

That's a fair challenge, it was my inference from the report. We don't know the facts in any degree of detail, who was first on scene and so on.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Si wrote:Various posts removed. By all means please discuss the merits or not of breath testing, etc but please try to steer clear from casting aspersions on other posters' characters.

Oh, buggeration. You go out for five minutes and miss all the action. :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
Si wrote:Various posts removed. By all means please discuss the merits or not of breath testing, etc but please try to steer clear from casting aspersions on other posters' characters.

Oh, buggeration. You go out for five minutes and miss all the action. :shock:

I was thinking the same meself :?
Who was calling who again :?
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:

Isn't it plausible that he stopped because he had to - because the road had been temporarily closed by the police? As often happens when paramedics are working on a serious accident victim by the roadside?

Anyway, I note that he is described as a Conservative councillor. Does the party want this sort of idiot in their ranks? Time for a letter to Mr Cameron perhaps...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).