Vehicle as a murder weapon

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Vehicle as a murder weapon

Postby thirdcrank » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't think anybody has mentioned this report yet: a lorry driver convicted of murder by driving over somebody in a road-rage motivated attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28552876

I'm not aware of what the evidence was to prove murder rather than manslaughter or causing death by dangerous driving: perhaps there will be more detailed reports elsewhere.

Interesting that the jury heard evidence of the driver's propensity to act like this, including footage from a dashboard camera. I do wonder how that was treated when it was first reported. :?
Gang warily.
thirdcrank

Re: Vehicle as a murder weapon

Postby Bicycler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

thirdcrank wrote:Interesting that the jury heard evidence of the driver's propensity to act like this, including footage from a dashboard camera. I do wonder how that was treated when it was first reported. :?

On the plus side, it does prove that some good can come out of reporting incidents even if nothing is done at the time
Bicycler

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi,
I am not sure what question you are asking here.
But I have already said in another post that some one who intentionally aims their car at a individual not in a car should face serious penalties.
I have had it happen to me.

Sounds like he did do this, and with obvious knowledge that a vehicle driven at a person standing in the road would very well kill him, he cant say he did not see the dayglo jacket as this would mean that he was blind to the individual he had just had an argee with :? Even a cyclist wearing dayglo.

How was his previous history of road rage treated, was it reported :?: (thats the question ? ) If yes there has to be some action done with these individuals who have a propensity to do this, And When they get behind a wheel again if they are even suitable they a dash cam would remain even for life :?:
01-01-14..81 KGS..26-04 -14- 76 KGS ...(:<)
Breakfast...one toast and jam.......rumble...
Roadies are fair game.......especially when I am on my MTB. 20 Notches - 8 ? +/- a Hybrid (:<(
Punch It Bishop !
NATURAL ANKLING

Postby thirdcrank » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 pm

I wasn't asking a question. The general issue of why killing and injuring people with motor vehicles does not generally result in a conviction for murder or wounding has been raised before on here. Even causing death by dangerous driving is replaced by the lesser careless charge.

The decision to charge murder and the successful prosecution must have been based on strong evidence of the intention needed to prove murder. I'd be interested to read a more detailed account. Perhaps it will be in tomorrow's papers.

====================================================================
PS I've just found this:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-7529228

It shows that a lot of evidence was allowed about the defendant's propensity for anger at the wheel.
Last edited by thirdcrank on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gang warily.
thirdcrank

Postby gaz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Vehicle as a weapon GBH charge reported here: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/malling/new ... urt-20965/
Only the truly enlightened know the sound of one pannier flapping.
gaz

Postby [XAP]Bob » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 am

'Raging bull'
Earlier in the trial, the jury was told of two previous road rage incidents involving Slater.

One motorist described him as a "raging bull" on the M62 in January last year and told how the lorry driver had threatened to kill him.

An incident in Oldham on December 17 was recorded on a "dash cam" and showed Slater leaving his lorry cab on two occasions, running at a car and kicking and punching the vehicle while trying to force the driver's door open.

Those are when the action should have been taken, not now.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

[XAP]Bob

Postby gaz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:53 pm

gaz

Postby Ayesha » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:19 am

I've got a bike pump in my PRK, which could be used as a murder weapon if I inserted it into someone's appropriate bodily orifice.

With enough rage and loss of composure, the first item that comes to hand becomes a 'murder weapon'.
The truck was already to hand for the driver.
Ayesha

Postby gaz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Dangerous driving and attempted GBH charge: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news ... ged-21937/

There's not enough detail to be certain that the car was the weapon so far as the attempted GBH is concerned.
gaz

Return to On the road