Ribble Winter Audax bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Re: Ribble Winter Audax bike

Post by pete75 »

AlastairS wrote:
The ribble Audax also has aenough clearance for 25mm tyres and guards.
If that's the winter audax , I'm pretty sure Ribble said to me in email that it will only take up to 23mm tyres with guards ?

The Ribble aluminium winter/audax will take 25s with very careful mudguard adjustment. I can understand a retailer saying it won't because the setup is fiddly.

The Ribble 365 gets excellent reviews and looks a good buy with Veloce groupset at just over a thousand or £1188 with Athena if you want 11 speed.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

Alastair, have a look at the Dolan Preffisio which does take 25c tyres and full mudguards, I use SKS guards with Conti GP 4 Seasons, and it takes standard drop brakes. Clearance is a bit tight though so you get the occasional scraping sound, will be better with 23cs I suppose.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Dolan Priffosso: i'm sorry, but I can't keep up with the choice available. I need to cut it down to 2 or 3 of the better brands available (whatever they are ).
I know Ribble have been around for a while and I have seen there bikes being ridden in my area, just liked the 365 because it has a carbon frame (tell me if I'm wrong) and it can take mudguards for all year round cycling.
I'm thinking of the Specialized Roubaix SL4 (carbon yes , but no mudguards so summer only).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The Dolan and the Ribble are the same frame, rumour has it. They look identical and seem to come out of the same factory.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Don't think I want to be limited to 23mm tyres. Any answers to the questions I posed earlier (105 golden, top 3 brands ...) ?
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

I run my Ribble 7005 Audax with 23/24/25mm tyres without having to do any fettling at all. Tyres are all Vittoria (Rubino Pro-tech, Open Pave, Open Pro CG Tech), the mudguards are (I think) SKS square as opposed to the smooother rounder ones. in the narrower size, and brakes are Campag centaur normal drop.

I have however discovered water ingress down the seat tube, leading to creaky BB as there was a layer of oxidation between the BB and the frame. Cleaned it all out and now searching for ingress point to block it