Shared/Cycle path . . . . I'm too slow.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Drake

Shared/Cycle path . . . . I'm too slow.

Post by Drake »

Not the actual cycle path, but me . . . or thats how it seems.
A path near me is split. One half for pedestrians, the other for cyclists. Not, it appears, an ideal situation.
Quite a few cyclists, who use this path, deem it suitable for travelling at the fastest speed possibly.
So i now use the road cause i'm obviously not fast enough, or so i've been ''advised'' by some lycra clad idiot.
is it just me, or have others had experience with "speed freaks"on paths.
mjr

Re: Shared/Cycle path . . . . to slow.

Post by mjr »

So where are you going to go when white van man advises you not to use the road? :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Graham

Post by Graham »

My model of cycle paths & facilities usage is pretty much the opposite of this. i.e. cycle path is there to protect the slower, more vunerable, perhaps less experienced rider.

In any case, you should use it if it suits you to use it. Don't be bullied by someone else who is demonstrating selfish behaviour.

There aren't many cycle facilities where I can imagine reckless, speeding cyclists demanding exclusive usage. Where is this one ??
[XAP]Bob

Re: Shared/Cycle path . . . . I'm too slow.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Use the cycle path or road depending on which suits your journey, not what some prat says about being unable to control themselves.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
JenniferAdcock

Post by JenniferAdcock »

Drake wrote:Not the actual cycle path, but me . . . or thats how it seems.
A path near me is split. One half for pedestrians, the other for cyclists. Not, it appears, an ideal situation.
Quite a few cyclists, who use this path, deem it suitable for travelling at the fastest speed possibly.
So i now use the road cause i'm obviously not fast enough, or so i've been ''advised'' by some lycra clad idiot.

If I am on a shared use cycle path I am always looking for hazards. Be that pedestrians, newbie cyclists or (the horror!) dog walkers :wink: Point is, I'm looking for hazards and will not cycle quickly.

If I wish to cycle quickly, I cycle on the road, period. Any lycra clad idiot doing a fast speed on a shared use path is just selfish.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JenniferAdcock wrote:
Drake wrote:Not the actual cycle path, but me . . . or thats how it seems.

If I am on a shared use cycle path I am always looking for hazards. Be that pedestrians, newbie cyclists or (the horror!) dog walkers :wink: Point is, I'm looking for hazards and will not cycle quickly.

If I wish to cycle quickly, I cycle on the road, period. Any lycra clad idiot doing a fast speed on a shared use path is just selfish.

Somewhat depends on the cycle path - some of them have sufficient visibility to allow for decent speeds on occasion.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

But not around other people.

And, like the roads, it's not up to the faster vehicles to bully the slower ones out of their way
Drake

Post by Drake »

mjr wrote:So where are you going to go when white van man advises you not to use the road? :lol:

Oh i just smile and politely say that my bike doesn't cause polution , there for doesn't choke childrens lungs. :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:So where are you going to go when white van man advises you not to use the road? :lol:

Last one I told that recumbents were not bicycles but human powered vehicles, and therefore not allowed on cycle paths.....

He looked confused (you could almost hear the little used cogs whirring) and then muttered something and drove off
Drake

Post by Drake »

Bicycler wrote:But not around other people.

And, like the roads, it's not up to the faster vehicles to bully the slower ones out of their way

Exactly.
Although i also agree with XAPbob that it is possible to travel at higher speeds at times on paths, it's the riders who don't slow down that worry me.
Unfortunately i don't know how to post links. The path in question runs from Lancing to Worthing in West Sussex. I believe it's part of cycle network No.2.

p.s I don't bully nor do i allow myself to get bullied. When i asked this idiot why, if he wanted to travel at speed, he didn't use the road. His reply was that he cosidered the road was dangerousand why should he risk his bike getting damaged.
I have removed the expletives from his reply and what he called me as he rode away in a cloud of spit and dust :x
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Cunobelin wrote:Last one I told that recumbents were not bicycles but human powered vehicles, and therefore not allowed on cycle paths.....

Is that actually true or were you just trying to confuse him? I could understand how a hand cycle might not be a pedal cycle and a recumbent trike wouldn't be included in the right of bicycles to use bridleways but are recumbents not pedal cycles for the sake of cycle tracks?

Drake, the guy was an idiot. If anything he's the type of cyclist who is considered anti-social: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/change-your- ... -use-paths

Cyclists tend to be the fastest movers on these paths, but the paths aren’t suitable for high speeds so it’s important to keep cycling speed under control. Remember that they are for sharing, not for speeding. If you wish to travel quickly, train for fitness or record personal best times, this is better done on quiet roads.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

just a confusion tactic, i like iy
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

[XAP]Bob wrote:just a confusion tactic, i like iy

Ok thanks. Not another bit of trivia for my collection then :(
mjr

Post by mjr »

Lovely quote from Sustrans there admitting they've not been leading a SUStainable TRANSport network and been acting in a basically ultra vires or at least misleading manner.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

mjr wrote:Lovely quote from Sustrans there admitting they've not been leading a SUStainable TRANSport network and been acting in a basically ultra vires or at least misleading manner.

I don't know. There's a difference between being a useful route for everyday cyclists and being suitable for high-speed wannabe racing

Are more cycle friendly countries any more accepting of high speed cyclists speeding past groups of pedestrians? In truth, even their infrastructure doesn't look safe for high speeds. Any footage from Holland which gets shown seems to show relatively sedate cycling as the norm. Not many UK style commuters bombing along on road bikes trying to beat their PB on their strava segment.