Asshat In A Car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Thomas125

Asshat In A Car

Post by Thomas125 »

Today was the second time I had this experience with the driver of a blue car with an 07 plate. I was coming down the hill into my work at approx 25-30mph on a 40 road.

He beeps his horn twice just behind me and as he passes he points to the cycle path to the left of the road. :roll:

I could use the cycle path.... But its a shared pedestrian path with a couple small walkways off it. I wouldn't think it was safe for me to be hurtling along at 30mph if a pedestrian were to jump out.

The cycle path also goes over a left turn from the main road with bollards either side of the path, so you have to slow to a crawl to get through the bollards and across the road.

Finally there is a sweeping left turn into my industrial estate. The cycle path carries down the hill at this point so I would have to stop again and turn off the cycle path into the sweep road.

Its much easier and safer for me just to keep pace with traffic on the main road and slip off to the left into work.

Dunno what the guys problem is, for the record I was wearing my hi vis work vest and a grey reflective helmet so not like he could miss me at all.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
Graham

Re: Asshat In A Car

Post by Graham »

This type of incident is not at all unusual and is a consequence of the quality of most cycle-specific facilities.
( How many times have you found a cycle facility that you actually prefer to cycle on ?? )

The bloke in the car thinks that you should use the facility provided to get you out of his way and has decided on motorist-vigilante-type action.
So long as his actions don't get dangerous, just ignore them.
Even the Highway Code does not mandate their use ( although it does get perilously close to creating a contributory negligence opportunity should the worst happen ).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It's the biggest reason why they should be done properly or not at all.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

I'm wondering if it's worth taking his plate next time and reporting him for intimidation/aggressive behaviour.

Probably wouldn't do anything about it though. :roll:
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Sounds like you're being considerate bike lanes are one of the few parking refuges left for your hard pressed motorist.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I think by pointing he was trying to tell you where he wants to park :lol:
beardy

Post by beardy »

Probably a certain retired Magistrate, you do live in Telford.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Government advice was always to use the road at speeds in excess of 18mph (antepenultimate bullet) - but this is now an archived page and I'm not sure that there is a current equivalent.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

IF only we could get the motoring fraternity to adopt those rules when on the same bit of road as cyclists :roll:

When coming up behind cyclists(pedestrians), always pass them at a safe distance, and slowly enough so that you could avoid them if they made a sudden change in direction.
Remember that some cyclists(pedestrians)s may be hard of hearing or visually impaired and hence might not be aware of you. If in doubt, give a gentle ring on your bell or say 'Excuse me'. :lol:

Always respect cyclists(pedestrians) even if they stray onto the centre of the road (cycling side); they are entitled to do so. Always thank people who move out of your way :lol: :lol: :x .
Drive (Ride) at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time :twisted:
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

drossall wrote:Government advice was always to use the road at speeds in excess of 18mph (antepenultimate bullet) - but this is now an archived page and I'm not sure that there is a current equivalent.

I think 18mph on a shared path is excessive, 10mph or slower for me, especially as most shared paths are too narrow.
drossall

Post by drossall »

If I understand it correctly, it was a complete picture. Cycle paths were meant to be designed (if government advice were followed) to a speed of 18mph, and cyclists who wanted to exceed that were advised to use the road. In practice, as you say, many paths aren't suitable for 18mph, so cyclists would need to use the road even at quite low speeds. However, the OP was doing 30mph, and is well aware that this is not a safe speed for almost any path.

And of course, the bit about "cyclists should use the road if..." is not understood by everyone.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

10 mph on a shared cycle path too fast I think? thats the trouble. peds need segregating
karlt

Post by karlt »

drossall wrote:If I understand it correctly, it was a complete picture. Cycle paths were meant to be designed (if government advice were followed) to a speed of 18mph, and cyclists who wanted to exceed that were advised to use the road. In practice, as you say, many paths aren't suitable for 18mph, so cyclists would need to use the road even at quite low speeds. However, the OP was doing 30mph, and is well aware that this is not a safe speed for almost any path.

And of course, the bit about "cyclists should use the road if..." is not understood by everyone.

I think they have a design speed of about 12mph, with a sort of maximum of 18mph ish. Not that you'd be able to do 18mph all the way along them, even gradients allowing.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Graham wrote:This type of incident is not at all unusual and is a consequence of the quality of most cycle-specific facilities.
( How many times have you found a cycle facility that you actually prefer to cycle on ?? )

Aye, there's the rub. Chesterfield council recently, at great expense (as we were reminded constantly on the letters page of the Derbyshire Times) put in a cycle path from the A619/A61 roundabout (aka the Tescos Roundabout) to join up with a back road as a route to the next roundabout (aka the J E James roundabout). Feel free to find it on a map.

If I used it, coming from the east, by the time I'd negotiated five underpasses and three (possibly four) toucan crossings, I can use the main road and be half way to Dronfield. Which I do, despite the 70mph speed limit on the main road. It's a dual carriageway; most people use the other lane to overtake, it really doesn't actually feel that dangerous. But there you have it; the cycle alternative is so crap I prefer to mix it with the pseudo-motorway.

Problem is, as no-one uses the cycle farcility, it'll be fuel to the "don't spend money on cyclists" fire.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

It's like the A9 north from Dunblane to Inverness, you can cycle it and people do and I defend their right to do it, there is a cycle path, surface isn't great, and some people use that and personally I would as I don't go that fast. However, I'm not sure that the people who cycled about a week ago in poor light in dark clothing when it was wet and busy along the A9 were doing the right thing, but they had no option at that point.