Newsbeat article re conviction rates

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cold_wet_and_tired

Newsbeat article re conviction rates

Post by cold_wet_and_tired »

Here is the transcript of a radio 1 report into conviction rates for deaths of cyclists.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28345522

I don't think there's anything in there that hasn't been discussed at length in this forum but it is interesting that radio 1 are covering it. Do they think their audience are most likely to be the driver or the cyclist in this sort of incident?

Personally, I don't think their headline reflects the nuances. I'm more concerned with how few driving bans are dished out and how many people escape any form of conviction than I am about prison sentences.

I was also rather dismayed by the quote half way down:
"I don't think it's fair because I wasn't driving dangerously, I wasn't driving erratically," he said. "I just failed to see someone who was on the road.

The article doesn't make the point that "seeing someone who is on the road" is a minimum standard for safe driving.
Richard D

Re: Newsbeat article re conviction rates

Post by Richard D »

Oh, I thought that it was pretty clear to everyone reading that the un identified driver was exactly the sort of idiot who shouldn't hold a licence to drive. But his attitude is indicative of those who think that "just clipping a cyclist" is in some way less morally culpable than ploughing into a woman with a pushchair. Which ought to diminish if more people cycle or have close friends or relatives who do.
iviehoff

Re: Newsbeat article re conviction rates

Post by iviehoff »

There is a discussion of the article going on here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88821