Cyclsit just fails to get Darwin award

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bicycler

Re: Cyclsit just fails to get Darwin award

Post by Bicycler »

reohn2 wrote:Whilst I agree total with your point,do pedestrians,cyclists and other adult vulnerable road users have no responsibilities?

They do have responsibilities. I agree with your summary that the motorists' is the "greater responsibility".

nevertheless when someone's wrong they're wrong,if they're partly to blame likewise,and in this case there can be no doubt the cyclist was wholly to blame.

I agree with your summary that the incident (as described) was totally the fault of the cyclist. The driver did all he could do, having anticipated (or at least seen) the cyclist's action and performed an emergency stop. Had the driver been less attentive and hit the cyclist I could not say that the cyclist's injury or death was totally the cyclist's fault; it would have been a combination of poor cycling and inattentive driving.

In the case of Shootist's post IMO he was,albeit sarcastically,illustrating that some on here think cyclists can do no wrong which is clearly a wrong attitude and riding with that kind of outlook can get a cyclist in world of trouble.

I knew the point Shootist was making and said it was nonsense because I have yet to see any evidence of that attitude. As far as I can tell, no-one has suggested that the cyclist wasn't at fault for making an inappropriate manoeuver. That accusation tends to get trotted out when people point out the absurdity of focusing on cycling offences (RLJing, pavement cycling etc.) whilst ignoring more dangerous motor offences. We also hear it when someone makes the point about drivers bearing the greater responsibility for the safety of others on the road. It's often just a subtle variation of the "SO WHY SHOULD I BE TO BLAME IF I HIT A JAYWALKING PEDESTRIAN WHO WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!!! IT IS MY RIGHT OF WAY IDIOTS!!!" comments underneath every online newspaper article which ever discusses strict/presumed liability.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think we're of the same outlook* so I'll let Shootist answer for himself.

*other than some people's POV which seem to think cyclists can't be wrong.I can't bring any to mind ATM but it does happen from time to time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote:I think we're of the same outlook* so I'll let Shootist answer for himself.

*other than some people's POV which seem to think cyclists can't be wrong.I can't bring any to mind ATM but it does happen from time to time.

They can be wrong - although their "wrong" tends to be less damaging than that of a motorist, and similarly more damaging than that of a pedestrian.

Equestrians don't quite fit in the same scale...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:They can be wrong - although their "wrong" tends to be less damaging than that of a motorist, and similarly more damaging than that of a pedestrian.

Equestrians don't quite fit in the same scale...

Agreed,I was thinking more of some people's perception.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden