Attention London cyclists only! Red light running survey

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

Re: Attention London cyclists only! Red light running survey

Post by Si »

For a lot of these university based surveys people post them up from a university computer, thus we can see (via their IP) that they are from said university. I'm guessing that this one was posted from Alex's home or mobile account. Perhaps it would reassure people if you were to put your student email address in the thread (or just send it to a moderator) so that people could see that you were from the university in question.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee what the data from the survey will ultimately be used for...but I guess that we have to show a bit of trust somewhere. OR just not fill the survey in.
Si

Post by Si »

Alex has sent me proof that he is indeed a student at Imperial.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

TonyR wrote:You might find the following useful:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do ... lights.pdf
Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does.

It says
Articles have emerged recently in The Times, The Guardian and The Evening Standard stating that women are more likely to be killed or seriously injured while cycling as they obey the law and wait whilst traffic lights are red. The media claim that this is supported by an unpublished TfL report which states that 86% of female cyclist fatalities in London involved a heavy goods vehicle turning left at a junction.

I would have been interested by a clear statement on this matter. I'm pretty sure I did once find a report on the TfL website which indicated that red-light-jumpers had a lower accident rate at light-controlled junctions than others, but it was quickly taken down and buried. But, false memory and that, it is hard to prove. Maybe I read one of those articles in the newspaper.

Unfortunately all that report does is measure red light jumping by cyclists at a selection of junctions, none of which is in central London "proper" as I would think of it, rather in the inner London around the centre. Unfortunately it didn't record how many of those RLJs inconvenienced any other person, which would have been interesting. No collisions were observed. Only one near collision was observed, between a non-violating cyclist and a violating motor vehicle.